Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Bowling for Dollars" host Bob Allison passes

"Bob Allison hosted Detroit's iconic 1970s TV game show, “Bowling for Dollars,” a program that's hard to imagine in today's flashy, highspeed world of reality competitions.

"Filmed at the Thunderbowl Lanes in Allen Park, it features local contestants bowling for a modest cash prize in the range of a few hundred dollars. It was the “Survivor” of its day, in terms of local ratings.

"Allison, 87, died Wednesday afternoon, according to WWJ-AM [[950). A cause of death wasn't revealed, but his health recently made his move to a nursing home necessary. WXYZ-TV [[Channel 7) reported he had recently fallen at his home."

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...38e86d_13435ab

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    "Bob Allison hosted Detroit's iconic 1970s TV game show, “Bowling for Dollars,” a program that's hard to imagine in today's flashy, highspeed world of reality competitions.

"Filmed at the Thunderbowl Lanes in Allen Park, it features local contestants bowling for a modest cash prize in the range of a few hundred dollars. It was the “Survivor” of its day, in terms of local ratings.

"Allison, 87, died Wednesday afternoon, according to WWJ-AM [[950). A cause of death wasn't revealed, but his health recently made his move to a nursing home necessary. WXYZ-TV [[Channel 7) reported he had recently fallen at his home."

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...38e86d_13435ab
    I think every local affiliate ran the same show with their local host. We used to get Buffalo & Erie, Pa. stations and both had their own versions.

This is sad. Met him a couple times and he was a first-class individual.

Bob's wife Maggie Allesee was a moneyed widow, who married Bob later in life. She donated millions to the Detroit Opera House, and also to WSU. She is now 92.

If I remember correctly... Maggie was worth about $150 million when she married Bob.

Many years ago, I worked the "Ask Your Neighbor" show and screened the phone calls. For me, it was a very fun experience and I admired the way
    Bob would take the calls and listen to the recipes and was so professional in answering questions and he was friendly and fun. One year he threw a
    Christmas party at his Sherwood Forest home and invited all the non-professional people that he interacted with, like his milk man, the UPS driver, neighbors and some of the co workers like myself that just worked the show and did clerical work. He was genuine and a truly good person.
    I smile every time I see his and his wife's name at the Historical Museum.
    He is one of my favorite memories and he bought me my first Manhattan and explained why it was a "before" dinner drink.

I have fond memories of my Mom scribbling down a recipe or two from Bob Allison's radio show. He had a very friendly, neighborly demeanor that showed on his radio show and Bowling For Dollars on TV. Condolences to his family and friends.

"Memory Lane"... with Bob Allison....

https://patch.com/michigan/bloomfiel...th-bob-allison