Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where to buy electronics & computer supplies?

Where is your favorite place in Metro Detroit to buy electronics & computer supplies?

Circuit City is gone, CompUSA is gone, Best Buy is generic.... [[these all were).

I want to get a simple firewire cable [[6pin to 6pin) and can't think of a place that has a good selection. Best Buy only has 6 pin to 4 pin for camcorders.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Where is your favorite place in Metro Detroit to buy electronics & computer supplies?

Circuit City is gone, CompUSA is gone, Best Buy is generic.... [[these all were).

I want to get a simple firewire cable [[6pin to 6pin) and can't think of a place that has a good selection. Best Buy only has 6 pin to 4 pin for camcorders.
    I favor Micro Center now. They have everything. One is at 14 and I-75, don't know of any other locations.

Ditto MicroCenter at 14 and I-75. I usually try Radio Shack first as they are closer. Sometimes they have whatever, though the last time I went in the one near me, they were almost bare, so maybe The Shack is changing to just a phone place.

Micro Center. They have the best selection. You will only find thing cheaper from internet vendors. Radio Shack is a waste of time and money. They are completely overpriced.

I don't know how far north you are, but there are a couple of good small places in the NE 'burbs. One is ZakPC on 21 Mile and Garfield and they have a second store in Oxford. I also like Ability PC on 24 and Van Dyke in Utica. I do most of my large buying online, but these guys are local, knowledgeable and friendly. Both are on the internet if you want to get pricing and availability. There's also a new place on John R just south of 14 Mile called Computer Direct. Don't know much about it except that it's there. And on M59 across from Lakeside where Computer Builder's Warehouse used to be is another.

Years ago there was a slew of nondescript PC stores on or near Eisenhower Pkwy in A2 [[in a business industrial park complex). Great selections that a real buff could appreciate. Competent staff and owners to assist you, though they tended to expect you to know what you were talking about also. Their clients included universities in the area. Asian owned if memory serves me correctly.

Online is often a good option if immediate gratification is not required.

Computer Build and Design took over for Computer Builders Warehouse on M59 and they just opened a second location just west of main street in Clawson.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I don't know how far north you are, but there are a couple of good small places in the NE 'burbs. One is ZakPC on 21 Mile and Garfield and they have a second store in Oxford. I also like Ability PC on 24 and Van Dyke in Utica. I do most of my large buying online, but these guys are local, knowledgeable and friendly. Both are on the internet if you want to get pricing and availability. There's also a new place on John R just south of 14 Mile called Computer Direct. Don't know much about it except that it's there. And on M59 across from Lakeside where Computer Builder's Warehouse used to be is another.

Thanks, Doma, I couldn't remember the name of that one.

If you're on the Westside, Canton Computers of Redford has a pretty good selection of computer accessories, new and used. They're located on Telegraph just south of Plymouth in Redford.

Micro Center

Radio shacks are a waste of time. Down here they are more like mini Best Buy's. You got questions....they got cellphones.

That's what it looked like last time I went there. Most of the display area was empty. Well, they used to be OK, often we could find the wire or plug that we needed there.

I recommend avoiding Radio Shack [[or The Shack, if you prefer) at all costs.

Their staff is woefully ignorant of their own product line.

Technical knowledge? The last time I was there, they thought that RCA cables were only for RCA TV's.

Their merchandise is overpriced.

I definitely recommend Micro Center.

Helpful, affordable and they at least have a passing knowledge of what they sell.

I've always been a fan of Micro Center. I even like the quirky flash drives they have for sale up at the registers like they were penny candy.

If you can wait for it to be delivered......NewEgg.com

If you need it now: Microcenter
    If you need a specific brand or piece of electronics: Newegg.com
    If you need an accessory/cable/whatever for dirt cheap: Cyberguys.com

I only buy stuff at Radio Shack if it's on sale, or unavailable *anywhere* else and I need it immediately.

I recommend avoiding Radio Shack [[or The Shack, if you prefer) at all costs.
    True story: I recently had what I suspected to be a bad flashlight bulb. I asked the guy behind the counter to test it. He started to connect a voltmeter to it set to measure its voltage. Worse, he displayed a practiced confidence in what he was doing!

On the other hand, after I taught him how to test a bulb, I found a really nice voltmeter on the shelf that had been severely under priced. They legally had to sell it to me for the listed price.

Sometime incompetence can be your friend.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-07-09 at 06:21 PM.

Abel Electronics in St.Clair Shores, they have all electronic stuff, resistors, capacitors, antennas, cables, wires,