Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 75 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast

Default Corona Virus Crisis News, Information, Advice & Help Thread

Dear dYES members,

We are in for a prolonged period of turmoil and uncertainty that has and will continue to disrupt all our lives. We all need to pull together.

To that end this thread has been created for sharing information that you think may be value to our community and others and to seek or offer help.

A couple of 'for instances'...

• A flood of government relief efforts state and federal will soon be upon us. Hear of something you think may be of value to the forum or how to get through the red tape? Perhaps listing of testing site, etc. Share it here.
    • Do you have questions? Ask them here. Questions like one I was recently asked via PM where I shop for groceries in the face of recent runs on stores.

Kindly keep the broader discussions of the course of the pandemic in the already established Corona Virus Crisis Discussion Thread. Posts may be moved from thread to thread separate and clarify the two discussions.

Please keep discussion of the politics of the Crisis in the Non-Detroit forum thread Coronavirus: Threat Beyond Politics As Viruses Don't Discriminate...

I hope you are doing as well as can be expected. Be strong. Go well and stay well.

WWJ just announced this website to help folks find food and learn about restaurants' response to the COVID-19 pandemic:

DetroitFoodUpdates.com
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-16-20 at 10:25 AM.

Default Feeding and Educating School Children During the Shut down

My heart goes out to working parents with school children, especially those with children who rely on the schools for breakfast and lunches, not to mention their continuing education.

Most school systems are groping in the dark for light switches. Here a snippet from Farmington of the beginning steps.
    On Saturday, schools began reaching out to parents regarding access to Chromebooks, which will be loaned to students who need computers. Special education staff members will contact their students to help them through the closure, Herrera said.

Buildings will remain open until Thursday, March 19 as families pick up the laptops and retrieve students’ medications and medical equipment. On Thursday, the district will begin a deep cleaning and sanitizing in all facilities.

“Plans are being made to provide free lunch to students, Monday-Friday, during this closure,” Herrera wrote. “Plans for this program, along with the starting date, will be finalized next week and shared with everyone.

http://farmingtonvoice.com/farmingto...mebooks-lunch/

My husband teaches in Detroit. Over the weekend he set up a 'classroom' at home for remote teaching. Right now he is phoning the families of all his homeroom students.

The local food banks are also asking for volunteers and donations. Many churches are asking for and receiving donations as well.
    Last edited by Maof; March-16-20 at 01:59 PM.

Even though I was watching CTV news, the doctor was from the U.S. He said this is an important time to donate blood. Donations will decrease dramatically and yet all of the usual medical ailments that require transfusions are not going to stop. It's very safe to do so therefore if you're near a facility that would be convenient, you should.

Default Innovative Time-filling During Quarantine in Europe

What to do with all the time in self-quarantines and social distancing? Some ingenious ideas are emerging. Like singing to neighbors in Italy. How I wish this guy was my next door neighbor. What can be done to have community during social distancing?

Where to get free student food in metro Detroit during the coronavirus crisis

“During the coronavirus crisis, students will no longer have access to school meals for the next several weeks. To alleviate hunger, emergency food resources by local businesses and school districts are stepping in to ensure families and individuals are fed.

“We're compiling a running list of resources offering free food in metro Detroit.

“Please email bhightower@freepress.com if you know of places offering free food as we support each other.“

See list of sites here: https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...es/5056005002/

State of Michigan Coronavirus Resources page.

Links to information and updates
    https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus...178---,00.html

Default Out-of-work Michiganders can receive expanded aid

"To help employees through April 14, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer ordered a temporary expansion of unemployment benefits to cover workers who are sick, quarantined, immunocompromised and have an unanticipated family care responsibility, and first responders who become ill or must self-quarantine.

"She also said she is seeking to help selfemployed workers and independent contractors, who traditionally do not have unemployment insurance...

As of 3 p.m. Monday, an estimated 600,000 people in Michigan's food service industry alone could temporarily lose their jobs as bars and restaurants have been ordered closed to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

http://freep.mi.newsmemory.com/?publink=1fb6e72f4

Default These hospitals in metro Detroit are doing drive-thru coronavirus testing

"According to Beaumont Health, there is limited curbside screening at four hospitals: Royal Oak, Dearborn, Farmington Hills and Troy. They are also planning on adding four additional screening sites this week.

Crain's Detroit is also reporting that Henry Ford Allegiance Hospital in Jackson is offering the screening, and that both Henry Ford and Trinity Health officials are working to expand testing at the site.

According to MLive, Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids has also opened a drive-thru testing station, as has MidMichigan Health in Midland, Mich.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/national/c...avirus-testing

Anybody have any extra toilet paper?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Anybody have any extra toilet paper?

Psssst.... Hey, I know a guy that has some, primo stuff too, Charmin! Not that cheap single-ply stuff that's been floatin' around.

No problem for some.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  Scareface.jpg
Views: 9951
Size:  56.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Even though I was watching CTV news, the doctor was from the U.S. He said this is an important time to donate blood. Donations will decrease dramatically and yet all of the usual medical ailments that require transfusions are not going to stop. It's very safe to do so therefore if you're near a facility that would be convenient, you should.
    And it appears this doctor was right:
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/amer...ry?id=69642130

I was at my doctors office today. Originally he called me that he was cancelling all non emergency visits. But I had an angry cyst on my neck that was discharging things you don't even want to ask... so he agreed to see me. When I got there... the waiting room was empty, and the staff was not doing much. Well I got in to see the doctor right away, and rather than send me to a surgeon or an ER... he decided he had time to kill and got two other [[new) doctors in to do my surgery right there, with 3 doctors working on it [[not a small cyst). I would never have gotten this much non-ER care [[45 minutes for the surgery/drainage) if it were a normal work day.

The thing that kind of floored me was that the reason the patients were told not to come in was that the entire clinic was being set up by Beaumont as a Corona Virus facility... one of many around metro Detroit [[this one was at 11 Mile Rd. near Harper in SCS). Looks like the large hospitals are getting ready for corona virus care at multiple sattelite facilities around town. The worst is yet to come!!

Frankly, I think we American citizens have become a candy-assed bunch since WW II or so.

Go on, take your shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Frankly, I think we American citizens have become a candy-assed bunch since WW II or so.

Go on, take your shots.
    I agree Ray, if there is not an APP for it we can’t fix it

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Psssst.... Hey, I know a guy that has some, primo stuff too, Charmin! Not that cheap single-ply stuff that's been floatin' around.
    I scored 4 rolls at a Rite Aid.

Go on, take your shots.
    I know one guy who got a cozy pension, moved to a sunny location and sits on his ass all day.
    Last edited by 401don; March-17-20 at 06:45 PM.

Well for sure our current culture is far more 'ME/ Instant Gratification' centered and now all of that has become challenged!

Frankly, I think we American citizens have become a candy-assed bunch since WW II or so...
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-17-20 at 07:21 PM.

This evening the CVS on Warren in the medical center has plenty of the Scott-12 pk 1000 sheets on a roll! I like the thinner stuff for my plumbing, but it is good quality-25% off if you have a CVS discount card [[limit two packs)!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I scored 4 rolls at a Rite Aid.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-17-20 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    This evening the CVS on Warren and the medical center has plenty of the Scott-12 pk 1000 on a roll! I like the thinner stuff for my plumbing, but it is good quality. 25% if you have a CVS discount card [[limit two packs)!
    I agree the thinner stuff is better for the plumbing... although the Roto-Rooter man hates that stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I know one guy who got a cozy pension, moved to a sunny location and sits on his ass all day.
    Yup, life is good. I stocked up today for the next two weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 75 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast