Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Darrbys on 7 & Wyoming

Good evening everyone.
    Since the Corona virus has us all looked up at home I've been watching TV.
    I came across a show I catch now and then, One Detroit.
    They always do very interesting stories, but this one caught my eye.
    They did a story on a gentleman that is 101 years old that wrote about restaurants in the city and they mention one near my area name Darbys on 7 & Wyoming.
    I does anyone remember or have been to this restaurant?
    I know everyone would like a cheesecake factory in the city of Detroit, but did you know it un-officially started at this place?
    Mrs Overton, the owner of Cheesecake factory, moms made the cheesecakes for Darrbys !
    I found some information here https://detroithistorical.wordpress....-remembrances/
    Also I'm sure you guys already knew that Diamond Jim Bradys was on 7 & Greenfield.
    I didn't know the Northwest side of Detroit had so many famous and great restaurants
    Regards
    Last edited by Detroitdave; March-16-20 at 10:19 AM.

I was very young, but my parents took us there many times, we lived nearby on Littlefield between Vassar and St. Martins. It was a real nice sit down and get served restaurant. It may have also served deli type food, I’m unclear about that. It was near the NW side synagogues: Beth Aaron, Adat Shalom etc. it had a big Jewish clientele following. Almost positive the restaurant was named Darby’s with one R. I would say it was gone by the early 70’s, maybe earlier
    Last edited by softailrider; March-15-20 at 06:57 PM.

I never went there, but my parents with their friends did. My recollection is that they would have gone in the late 1950’s and early 60’s. I also recall that it was kind of a posh restaurant, a special occasion kind of restaurant. I used to take the 7 mile bus to my eye doctor and used to pass it.

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    I never went there, but my parents with their friends did. My recollection is that they would have gone in the late 1950’s and early 60’s. I also recall that it was kind of a posh restaurant, a special occasion kind of restaurant. I used to take the 7 mile bus to my eye doctor and used to pass it.
    Definitely there mid to late 60’s. My brother has his High School prom date there. I think it had a fire, never reopened.

Ms. Softailrider is insisting that Darby’s also had a delicatessen counter that was for take out. She said she is 100% sure of that.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Ms. Softailrider is insisting that Darby’s also had a delicatessen counter that was for take out. She said she is 100% sure of that.
    Yes, I remember as a UDHS student being in Darby's one night probably after a school dance and seeing what seemed to me to be a rich older woman at the counter buying food to go.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think it had a fire, never reopened.
    July '68: https://www.newspapers.com/image/?clipping_id=3525008

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Thanks for the information. Sad that the article quoted two cars, both with "negros" inside , speeding away?
    In my opinion, it sound like a inside insurance job,but I would have been only 3 at the time so what do I know? lol

Dave...you mentioned Diamond JIm Brady's on 7and Greenfield. What a great place. Iconic, it truly was a real Cheers, where everybody knew your name. Went there weekly, sometimes more often. In the 70s and 80s, Matt Brady, Pat Brady and the staff took great care of everyone. Hamburgers, especially the Charlie Brown, and Annie's homemade chili were the best. On Fridays, about 50 of Detroit Public Schools' finest educators would come by, staying til close and easing the stress of the previous week. A noisy group they were. Lots of laughs and secrets kept. Good memories.

The newspaper the link leads to is the "Detroit American". Anybody know what that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The newspaper the link leads to is the "Detroit American". Anybody know what that is?
    I believe that it was a short-lived paper published by the Polish Daily News during the newspaper strike of 1968.

Darby's was owned by the Boesky family [[yes, that Boesky was a son). It was an upscale sort of fine-ish dining version of their Boesky's Delicatessen. Even though we were eastsiders, we went there a couple of times when I was a kid and it was very nice [[nicer than the usual restaurants we ate in on the relatively rare occasions we went out to eat). My mother knew the family from her old neighborhood and Hutchins Jr. High.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  119.1 KB