Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2020 Detroit Tigers

During these trying times we all turn our attention to how this will affect the worst team in baseball, our Detroit Tigers. Okay, maybe not. Still, the college baseball season has been cancelled and the Tigers, who have the 1st pick in the draft, were looking forward to seeing how the top 3 players would perform in their final seasons. Torkelson, a power hitting 1st baseman is the odds on favorite. Austin Martin, the best pure hitter and a terrific athlete who can play multiple positions was also a possibility if his power develops. Nick Gonzales, a 2nd baseman, is coming on strong with a .448 avg. and 12 home runs in just 16 games. But he's smaller and hasn't faced elite college pitching this season.
    Now they are giving all these guys an extra year of college eligiblity. That will be a nightmare to sort out as incoming freshman were due to take their jobs. It probably won't affect the top guys, who will still enter the draft but others have to decide whether to stay in order to move up. Next year, if MLB doesn't play this season, how do you decide the draft order?

With No TV or stadium revenue if the season is cancelled. . . . .wonder if Miggy will still get his $30-million [[guaranteed)?

Oh, btw for those who keep asking: still [[Miggy) on the hook to pay $20,000 a month in child support to an ex-mistress he fathered two children with and pay off her nearly $1-million mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    With No TV or stadium revenue if the season is cancelled. . . . .wonder if Miggy will still get his $30-million [[guaranteed)?
    If there is no season nobody gets paid. Players are paid on a per game basis. ie. if an 80 game schedule is completed the players get half their salary [[guaranteed means you get paid if injured or not). MLB is seriously considering cancelling the draft now because they pay out 400 million in signing bonuses between the MLB draft & Int'l signings and their revenues will take a big hit this year. This creates all kinds of other problems for high school and college players.

Oh, btw for those who keep asking: still [[Miggy) on the hook to pay $20,000 a month in child support to an ex-mistress he fathered two children with and pay off her nearly $1-million mansion.
    Curious why you always post this? We know Miggy has not been the finest citizen. This is nickels and dimes to him. What about the cleaners, security guards, vendors, etc. trying to feed their kids with no baseball season?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Curious why you always post this? We know Miggy has not been the finest citizen. This is nickels and dimes to him. What about the cleaners, security guards, vendors, etc. trying to feed their kids with no baseball season?
    Name:  Miggy.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  9.4 KB

If you have one child with a women who is not your wife I guess you could call that an accident. If you have the 2nd child with that women, I don’t know what you would call that.

Name:  Miggy.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  9.4 KB
    What does this have to do with baseball possibly being cancelled? What Miggy does off the field is no ones concern but his. Get a life and stop watching Detroit sports, moron.

Wake me up when Don Wert is back playing third base.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    Wake me up when Don Wert is back playing third base.
    Horrible hitter, do not remember him being that great a fielder either. They win a World Series with him though......

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Horrible hitter, do not remember him being that great a fielder either. They win a World Series with him though......
    The ol' Coyote knocked in the winning run in the '68 pennant clincher at Tiger Stadium. Plus he could pound beer with the best of them. On top of that he looked like my Uncle Johnny from Youngstown. Three reasons why he's in my personal HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    The ol' Coyote knocked in the winning run in the '68 pennant clincher at Tiger Stadium. Plus he could pound beer with the best of them. On top of that he looked like my Uncle Johnny from Youngstown. Three reasons why he's in my personal HOF.
    LOL! That's good enough for me, rickback!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I take it all back, career 242 hitter. I was thinking of Ray Oyler, now that was a terrible hitter.

Funny thing about Oyler, though he was a slightly built .135 hitter [[but a slick fielder), he was known as one tough sumbitch. He was an ex-Marine and could drink most of his teammates under the table---and those '60s Tigers had some heavy-duty boozers. He was Denny McLain's roomie during the '68 season. Media types hounded Denny during his 30-win season, so Oyler would always answer the phone in their hotel room. "I'm looking for the superstar," some reporter would ask. "Speaking," Ray would say.
    Last edited by rickbak; March-25-20 at 07:55 PM.