Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default $45M Grodfrey Hotel coming to Corktown

...and it's full financed per Crain's.

other cities with Godfrey Hotels: Chicago, Boston, Tampa and Hollywood

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...illion-project

The seven-story Godfrey Hotel at 1401 Michigan Ave. by Farmington Hills-based Hunter Pasteur Homes and Chicago-based Oxford Capital Group LLC is planned to start construction in the fourth quarter and be complete in time for the North American International Auto Show in the summer of 2022, pending various city approvals.

This one snuck under the radar in all the madness going on right now. It's not the most exciting design, but it seems like a great project.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    This one snuck under the radar in all the madness going on right now. It's not the most exciting design, but it seems like a great project.
    I'll take this design over this view all day long
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3313...4!8i8192?hl=en

Oh, it's a 1000% improvement.

I like how the red brick of the building plays off the red bricks of Michigan Avenue. By the way, I think Michigan Ave is due for the bricks to be reset. I don't know when it was done last, but things are pretty bad right now.

I agree with the other folks... and also like the vertical "blade" sign like old theaters. It will be visible up and down Michigan Ave.

Nemo's will love this. It's going to be right across the street from them.

Google Street View of the site.

This section of Corktown is really coming along now, starting to look like Midtown.

This will be great for Corktown establishments. I think we need to consider what can be done to help connect downtown and Corktown. The federal complex on the South and MGM/Lodge on the North tend to create a massive gap in walkability between the two neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Nemo's will love this. It's going to be right across the street from them.

Google Street View of the site.
    They’re actually selling the vacant building and adjacent parking lot that will make way for the new hotel.

The design suits the area, simple and practical, good materials, etc. Much better than that joke occupying the old Tiger Stadium site. And judging by the rendering, it will be one of the few new mid-rise structures in Detroit built with concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I like how the red brick of the building plays off the red bricks of Michigan Avenue. By the way, I think Michigan Ave is due for the bricks to be reset. I don't know when it was done last, but things are pretty bad right now.
    If Mi Ave is to be redone I think a road diet is in order while they're at it. Sidewalks should be widened and protected bike lanes added. The crosswalks are far too wide.

9 lanes with a turn lane made sense in the 50's with near 2M population. Not so much these days.
    Last edited by hybridy; March-15-20 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    If Mi Ave is to be redone I think a road diet is in order while they're at it. Sidewalks should be widened and protected bike lanes added. The crosswalks are far too wide.

9 lanes with a turn lane made sense in the 50's with near 2M population. Not so much these days.
    You're too late... already down to 5 lanes... although people don't seem to understand that a bike lane is not to be parked in....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bu...!4d-83.0687588

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You're too late... already down to 5 lanes... although people don't seem to understand that a bike lane is not to be parked in....

I see. I still think a senior or disabled person would have trouble crossing the street in time. Paint and some plastic lane dividers don't really do much.

Bad design. There needs to be barriers separating bike lane. Also, there's zero reason Michigan Ave needs 5 lanes. It should be 2 lanes and only a turn lane where necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Bad design. There needs to be barriers separating bike lane. Also, there's zero reason Michigan Ave needs 5 lanes. It should be 2 lanes and only a turn lane where necessary.
    There is a MAJOR reason that Michigan Ave is 4 lanes + turning lane + bike lanes on both sides + parking lanes on both sides.... Michigan is one of the major spoke roads radiating out from downtown... if you have all the other boxes checked [[parking + bike lanes + adequate width sidewalks)... why on earth would you want to turn the major spoke roads of Detroit into anything less? When there are freeway accidents, freeway bridge work or replacement... or just rush hour... these major spoke roads are important to continue the flow of traffic around the city. To turn them into middling 2 lane roads diminishes Detroit even further... especially since there's no other use for making these streets smaller.

Nothing says "pleasant experience" quite like being stuck for miles behind a slow moving 18 wheeler on a major 2 lane roadway without any opportunity to get past them!!
    Last edited by Gistok; March-16-20 at 05:07 PM.

hmm. wonder when they are supposed to begin-- things will be altered with the current health crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    hmm. wonder when they are supposed to begin-- things will be altered with the current health crisis.
    This project has been in the planning stages for at least a year. I’m sure they’ve taken consideration to the potential impact coronavirus would have on the project. It’s not like it appeared out of no where.

There is a MAJOR reason that Michigan Ave is 4 lanes + turning lane + bike lanes on both sides + parking lanes on both sides.... Michigan is one of the major spoke roads radiating out from downtown... if you have all the other boxes checked [[parking + bike lanes + adequate width sidewalks)... why on earth would you want to turn the major spoke roads of Detroit into anything less? When there are freeway accidents, freeway bridge work or replacement... or just rush hour... these major spoke roads are important to continue the flow of traffic around the city. To turn them into middling 2 lane roads diminishes Detroit even further... especially since there's no other use for making these streets smaller.

Nothing says "pleasant experience" quite like being stuck for miles behind a slow moving 18 wheeler on a major 2 lane roadway without any opportunity to get past them!!
    The 100-foot width of Michigan Avenue is redundant with I-75 and I-94 paralleling it. Michigan Avenue was widened in the 1930's when it was the major street radiating out of downtown in that direction - now you have freeways that do an even more efficient job in moving cars.

Why not use the 100 foot width to bring a light rail line, such as this one in Los Angeles....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3RI6VrwC6g

or this one Minneapolis.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7fH_IjhfE

or this one in Phoenix....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvRsig8jgSY

...all of which run in the middle of the road

Quote Originally Posted by gistok View Post
    there is a major reason that michigan ave is 4 lanes + turning lane + bike lanes on both sides + parking lanes on both sides.... Michigan is one of the major spoke roads radiating out from downtown... If you have all the other boxes checked [[parking + bike lanes + adequate width sidewalks)... Why on earth would you want to turn the major spoke roads of detroit into anything less? When there are freeway accidents, freeway bridge work or replacement... Or just rush hour... These major spoke roads are important to continue the flow of traffic around the city. To turn them into middling 2 lane roads diminishes detroit even further... Especially since there's no other use for making these streets smaller.

Amen

One of the worst takes I've ever read

I'm no traffic engineer, but I reason Michigan Ave similar to Gratiot and other major roads have tons of excess capacity. When I can speed up Gratiot at 55-65 mph weaving through traffic during rush hour tells me the road is too damn wide.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    One of the worst takes I've ever read
    OK I'll bite... what is your grand master plan?

Maybe some folks have forgotten the future FORD campus based around the MCS and the area around it. Putting 5,000 additional jobs in the area and reducing Michigan Ave to only 1 lane in each direction...

2 lanes... ain't gonna happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; March-18-20 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I'm no traffic engineer, but I reason Michigan Ave similar to Gratiot and other major roads have tons of excess capacity. When I can speed up Gratiot at 55-65 mph weaving through traffic during rush hour tells me the road is too damn wide.
    There is little chance of Michigan, Grand River, and Gratiot being reduced to two lanes + a turn lane in the near future. Along with Woodward, Jefferson, and Fort, they were the many access roads to downtown before the expressways. Some may even remember when the inbound lanes on Grand River were reversed in the afternoon to provide extra capacity for outbound drivers. I don't recall what year they removed the overhead directional lane indicators. Anyway, although they may have excess capacity now, they remain important alternate routes if needed.

Application from the hotel for the Historic District Commission. Plenty of information to digest.

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...20Report_0.pdf

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast