Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast

Default Corona Virus Crisis Discussion Thread

Coronavirus Cases Confirmed In Wayne, Oakland Counties

The inevitable has arrived. Michigan's first two coronavirus cases have been confirmed: one in Wayne County and one in Oakland County.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronaviru...wayne-counties

It was just a matter of time. So how will this affect your activities? Cutting down visits to Starbucks or public gatherings? I haven't yet, but it's been crossing my mind.

Large events continue to cancelled or put on hold. Pandemic or pandemonium? The economic implications are profound.

Since the Coronavirus hits Metro Detroit Area.

Large events like Movement, fewer Tiger's Games, the N.A.I.A.S. may be cancelled. There might not be any Grand Prix Racing. Some the race car drivers are from Italy and those Italian race car drivers can not leave the country. There might not be any Ford Fireworks, too.

In fact cancel all events this year. It's time to face this virus. Human survival is more important then enjoying worldly pleasures.

May God have mercy on our souls.

Here is a word from our sponsors.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-UEQzH-kj8

Last edited by Danny; March-11-20 at 07:10 PM.

I don't understand why they don't just shut everything down immediately. Have everyone self-quarantine for 2-3 weeks. I mean everything except police, fire, health care, etc. Just get it over with instead of letting all these local authorities decide as it continues to spread. Isn't that the best way to stop it and wouldn't it be better for everyone, including business, airlines, etc.?
    Last edited by 401don; March-11-20 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't understand why they don't just shut everything down immediately. Have everyone self-quarantine for 2-3 weeks. I mean everything except police, fire, health care, etc. Just get it over with instead of letting all these local authorities decide as it continues to spread. Isn't that the best way to stop it and wouldn't it be better for everyone, including business, airlines, etc.?
    I think they're worried that the effects of a complete shutdown would be worse than the the disease itself. As a society we're simply not ready for that kind of disruption to our daily lives. Many people could not even go more than a few days without running out of food, prescriptions not to mention money itself. To bring the entire economy to complete stop wouldn't even be possible in China where they have unlimited control over everything. Here in the U.S it would result in near total chaos.

Also, there was an article yesterday that stated the complete shutdown of the Wuhan area of China basically just created a 3-4 delay in the spread of the disease, and had no chance of actually stopping it. Basically the cat is out of the bag on this one and now all we can do is slow it down and hope that a vaccine is found or that the spread can be slowed enough that our health system can cope with it.

I don't understand why they don't just shut everything down immediately. Have everyone self-quarantine for 2-3 weeks. I mean everything except police, fire, health care, etc. Just get it over with instead of letting all these local authorities decide as it continues to spread. Isn't that the best way to stop it and wouldn't it be be better for everyone, including business, airlines, etc.?
    Yes and No.

The good: Let’s say hypothetically Whitmer did that, and also say hypothetically 90% of the population obeyed it and mostly quarantined themselves for two weeks. The result would be that Michigan would be significantly better off, and most of the cases would be identified and contained come April 1. Basically, we would be resetting ourselves to say Feb 15, with the exception of a handful of known cases in hospitals/quarantined somewhere.

The bad: Even if we “reset ourselves” to Feb 15, people on other states/places would still be spreading the disease. And if the lockdown ended April 1, all of those business travelers, relatives, snow birds, etc. that had stayed away during the quarantine would return, with a portion of them infected. So basically yes Michigan would go back in time to Feb 15, but a few weeks later, we would basically return again to where we are with the disease spreading again. The only difference is that it would be spreading in April and not March.

The other thing to remember is that while the Chinese quarantine [[which was much stricter than anything that could be practically implemented here) did mostly work, the other “advantage” China has is that people [[generally) aren’t traveling to China right now. So the Chinese people who escaped infection by the quarantine are at much lower risk now of getting infected by another outbreak, because very few people [[virus carriers) are now coming to China that would bring the virus back.

Long story short, a very long quarantine is probably the only way to curtail this thing. But I don’t think there is the political will [[by the masses in general) to get behind such a thing. Especially in the USA where everyone has a more independent and self-sufficient type mindset [[for better or worse).

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Yes and No.

The good: Let’s say hypothetically Whitmer did that, and also say hypothetically 90% of the population obeyed it and mostly quarantined themselves for two weeks. The result would be that Michigan would be significantly better off, and most of the cases would be identified and contained come April 1. Basically, we would be resetting ourselves to say Feb 15, with the exception of a handful of known cases in hospitals/quarantined somewhere.

The bad: Even if we “reset ourselves” to Feb 15, people on other states/places would still be spreading the disease. And if the lockdown ended April 1, all of those business travelers, relatives, snow birds, etc. that had stayed away during the quarantine would return, with a portion of them infected. So basically yes Michigan would go back in time to Feb 15, but a few weeks later, we would basically return again to where we are with the disease spreading again. The only difference is that it would be spreading in April and not March.

The other thing to remember is that while the Chinese quarantine [[which was much stricter than anything that could be practically implemented here) did mostly work, the other “advantage” China has is that people [[generally) aren’t traveling to China right now. So the Chinese people who escaped infection by the quarantine are at much lower risk now of getting infected by another outbreak, because very few people [[virus carriers) are now coming to China that would bring the virus back.

Long story short, a very long quarantine is probably the only way to curtail this thing. But I don’t think there is the political will [[by the masses in general) to get behind such a thing. Especially in the USA where everyone has a more independent and self-sufficient type mindset [[for better or worse).
    I meant all of the country, actually North America. Having a quarantine in one state would obviously be pointless. It just doesn't seem to make sense to ask people to quarantine in small areas surrounded by the disease when they stop.

I don't understand why they don't just shut everything down immediately.
    Who is "they"?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Who is "they"?
    "They" would be the Federal Gov't. While legally I'm not certain they can enforce it, they can certainly make a directive to all states. I was just watching a National Emergency Preparedness Director [[not sure if the title is exact) on CNN. He stated it's ridiculous that the Fed. Gov't is telling all these local gov'ts and individual citizens to make their own best decisions. He stated there should be no gatherings of greater than 10-15 people until we have a handle on it. Instead you have some states saying 250 people, other 1,000 people. Meanwhile the NBA & NHL carry on? You could either request complete self-quarantine or tell people only to go out for shopping for groceries, pharmaceuticals, etc. as absolutely necessary. Nobody said this would be easy. Obviously I'm no expert but it seems apparent they need to step it up a notch or this is going to get a lot worse, meaning kill thousands more than necessary, and drag on a lot longer.
    Last edited by 401don; March-11-20 at 10:33 AM.

China has reported 80k cases lets say they lied to a tune of million cases that is about .0002 of their population

With over 7.9 billion people on Earth. Most nations are not ready to handle this kind of pandemic. This is what the world nations do to handle a pandemic of the keeps on infecting up to million people or more:

1. Each nation is to advise an their own nationwide quarantine procedures. Lock the whole nation up. No one should leave in or out of the area. Install military based curfews. Only open food and supply stores. Make sure that each person gets only 5 to 10 goods to last about 4 weeks at a time. All public events are closed!!!

2. Close all travel, public transportation, even international travel. Car travel will be limited as gas stations are closed for one week at a time.

3. Keep updates for news and information. If the electricity is shut off, make due whatever you can to obtain information from the outside world until power is restored.

4. If you're sick or have any health problems, go out of the alert any military personal about your sicknesses and remain in that area until medic teams arrive.

It sounds like a difficult plan but the Chinese and the Italians are doing these procedures right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    China has reported 80k cases lets say they lied to a tune of million cases that is about .0002 of their population
    Exactly. Because China has a centralized gov't with the power to do what is necessary in this type of event. My friend was in Shanghai a month ago and they were taking the temperature of everyone as they crossed the street and got on public transit and Shanghai is nowhere near Wuhan. Meanwhile even China admitted their hospitals were overwelmed and they built temporary ones in 2 weeks.

Key word is "confirmed". It's very possible, and perhaps likely, that there were already cases floating around undetected.

At what point does the auto show get cancelled? Design planning for it should be going on now, is that actually happening?

I hate to 'assume' but I am thinking their numbers are under-reported.

Historically, that would be per their default pose, to always put forth a 'good face' on a situation.

Thousands could be 'gone' per the virus there without accounting.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Since the Coronavirus hits Metro Detroit Area.

Large events like Movement, fewer Tiger's Games, the N.A.I.A.S. may be cancelled. There might not be any Grand Prix Racing. Some the race car drivers are from Italy and those Italian race car drivers can not leave the country. There might be any Ford Fireworks, too.

In fact cancel all events this year. It's time to face this virus. Human survival is more important then enjoying worldly pleasures.

May God have mercy on our souls.
    I'll be VERY disappointed if these events were cancelled and I was looking forward to them. Mo Pop Festival 2020 just announcing the music artist lineup on their facebook page shortly. So far,the events hasn't pull the plug yet as long the coronvirus doesn't gets even worse here in Michigan. And yes, this is a health rise and we all need to be ready to fight this.

Last edited by THE FURY 617; March-11-20 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Key word is "confirmed". It's very possible, and perhaps likely, that there were already cases floating around undetected.
    This is almost guaranteed to be the case, and I am not just talking about people who caught it in the last day or two and haven’t been diagnosed yet.

Remember, up until very recently, doctors here in America who suspected a patient may have had the virus couldn’t even test their patient unless their patient had traveled to China, Korea, etc. [[or been in close contact with someone who had been confirmed ill). As in, the CDC would deny the doctor the ability to test unless the sick patient checked one of the “traveled to or in contact with” boxes.

That changed just recently, so expect a huge uptick in confirmed cases as doctors can now test the patients they suspect may potentially have it [[assuming tests kits don’t run out, or the testing process doesn’t become overwhelmed with cases).

Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-20 at 02:38 PM.

I haven't heard any of the health experts mention if microwaving kills the virus. Paper money and other items can be zapped.

Heard that one of the cases is a Ford employee [[Electrical Dept.) who was taken to U-of-M hospital. Ford may require all white-collar workers to work at home this Friday, and quite possibly for a 2-week period if cases continue to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I haven't heard any of the health experts mention if microwaving kills the virus. Paper money and other items can be zapped.
    That might be a wise public service best performed automatically by banks since they handle more currency than anyone else. Somehow I doubt it fits their business model though.

This would be a good time to unleash the military bioweapons labs on the problem. Surely they can't be underfunded if they're in the military, eh?

Ultra music festival in Miami cancelled, ticket holders can get credit for 2021 or 2022 tix, but eff you, no refunds.

Nuts. It's just another flu virus, maybe a bit deadlier for the aged [[like me) and sick. Life has to go on otherwise.

Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast