Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default With 38 active building projects, Pontiac seeing biggest boom since GM days

"Pontiac is experiencing its biggest building boom since the days of General Motors, according to Deirdre Waterman, the city’s mayor.

'From renovations to brand new builds, construction and demolition has been taking place all over the city this year. There’s sizeable projects, like Amazon’s planned $271.6 million regional distribution center at the old Silverdome site on Opdyke Road. There’s new housing, like the 42-unit Hamilton apartments off Woodward Avenue currently under construction. And, there’s smaller renovations taking place in churches, drug stores and medical office spaces.

'...“We have more housing going up, some of these builds are our first new high rises in 20-years. Employees and businesses are moving, they’re looking for urban livability and excitement,” Waterman said. “We’re becoming an epicenter for high tech research and support for automotive technologies.”

More than 25 technology companies have opened in Pontiac since 2016, mainly in its downtown corridor.
    [/QUOTE]

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/news...n5ijgMy6bxE4gc

What Pontiac? I see that it has a quiet almost abandon downtown. A big parking lot and garage that nobody uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    What Pontiac? I see that it has a quiet almost abandon downtown. A big parking lot and garage that nobody uses.
    There is nothing abandoned in downtown Pontiac. When have you last been?

Pontiac
    Flint
    Saginaw
    Toledo

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    There is nothing abandoned in downtown Pontiac. When have you last been?
    I think people mix up “abandoned” and “vacant”. There are a lot of vacant and underutilized buildings downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    I think people mix up “abandoned” and “vacant”. There are a lot of vacant and underutilized buildings downtown.
    I agree. Downtown Pontiac used to a very busy shopping districts just like any other downtown. Now it's almost a ghost town. It still quiet that you could hear birds chirping and crickets fiddling with their legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I agree. Downtown Pontiac used to a very busy shopping districts just like any other downtown. Now it's almost a ghost town. It still quiet that you could hear birds chirping and crickets fiddling with their legs.
    This isn't true though... It's not a busy district but it's not a ghost town either.

Coming out of college matched up with Pontiac's nightlife hitting it's heyday. From the late 90's to the mid-2000's, it was hopping. Clutch Cargo's, Industry / Have A Nice Day Cafe, Tiki Bob's, Sevin, and many others were places to go have a few drinks,try to dance with girls, and hopefully come away with some 'digits' [[phone numbers). The top of the Phoenix Center had been fixed up and they had some pretty good concerts up there for a stretch. Arts, Beats and Eats was founded there and was an awesome time. All of that culminated in one fateful late August night in 2003 where some friends and I had watched a concert, were having a few drinks, and I decided to step away for a few minutes to clear my head. Started chatting with a pretty girl at the bar.

And yada, yada, yada, we've been married for over twelve years now

Downtown Pontiac

"Cricket's fiddling with their legs."

Less people

Yep looks like a ghost town to me.