Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Avenue of Flea Markets

I had noticed that since Livernois from 8 mile to Curtis had been repaved some of the same stores had reopened and no new stores had opened including inside of the new building that is on the Southwest corner of Livernois and 7 mile. I had also noticed that the Biggby that had opened in December 2018 had closed it’s doors and a Lana’s Bakery is going to open in it’s stead. I had knew that Biggby wasn’t going to last since the workers had decided that they were too afraid to have the store opened after 4pm resulting in the store reducing it’s hours. Livernois will remain one long strip of cheap shops and less than quality restaurants. What a waste

A lot of stores along that section of Livernois were driven out of business by the extended reconstruction to remove the median that was blamed for running business out of the area years ago. Even Kuzzo's closed for "remodeling" and hasn't reopened yet. I hope the completion of the revamped Livernois allows some of these businesses back

https://michiganchronicle.com/2019/1...or-city-match/

According to the article 3 businesses have opened up and several more are set to open in the spring and I know a few that are set to open that aren't sites in the article. The Biggby coffee was a terrible location and opened up in a bad time, why go there when you can go to narrowest and support a local business? Most if the businesses that closed down were shit businesses that nobody went to anyway. And the construction just finished up for christ's sake give it some time. What a waste of a thread...

Just off the top of my head: There has been a lot of construction activity in the last few weeks at Kuzzo's. Good Times Lounge has been very busy since opening a couple of months ago. Red Door women's shoes just opened. Motor City Brewing Works is set to open in April or May. Yoshi Grill coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post

According to the article 3 businesses have opened up and several more are set to open in the spring and I know a few that are set to open that aren't sites in the article. The Biggby coffee was a terrible location and opened up in a bad time, why go there when you can go to narrowest and support a local business? Most if the businesses that closed down were shit businesses that nobody went to anyway. And the construction just finished up for christ's sake give it some time. What a waste of a thread...
    Narrow Way doesn't open on Sundays and the other ine us too far diwn on McNichols

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post

Forgive me but was the Biggby a company store or a franchise? I am assuming it was / is a franchise. Regardless I would call it a "local" business. At the very least they are a "local" Michigan franchise.
    Last edited by cassique; March-02-20 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Narrow Way doesn't open on Sundays and the other ine us too far diwn on McNichols
    You're right Biggby could totally survive off 1 day a week.

At the Biggby’s I’ve been to, they don’t pour you a fresh cup of coffee. They give you a cup and you fill it from some type of thermos on the counter. Don’t really like that as well as the Starbucks way. [[Not in love with Starbucks either)

I don’t know the history of it, but there used to be a outdoor market at Livernois and Fenkell. The market canopy still exists. I imagine the neighborhood that used to support it and the awesome dance hall a block south on Livernois. I wish I could take my net worth and go back in time and save these vestiges from the ravages of time and attrition.

There's a lot of money in the Sherwood Forest and Palmer Woods areas but that money is being generated in the northern suburbs which includes Oakland and Somerset Malls. The businesses in Livernois and 7 mostly attract those who live outside of the immediate areas. I would bet that Kroger would draw the money out of the communities mentioned above.

There have been of new businesses opening on Livernois. Hell, the mayor mentioned many of them at the state of the city. Go to the 22 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/qET6CYHGpPM

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I don’t know the history of it, but there used to be a outdoor market at Livernois and Fenkell. The market canopy still exists. I imagine the neighborhood that used to support it and the awesome dance hall a block south on Livernois. I wish I could take my net worth and go back in time and save these vestiges from the ravages of time and attrition.
    It was Harmony Village Market. Most of the area centered south of the Lodge between Ardmore and Livernois. Our area hoped the city would pour money into Fenkell because of Butzel Field and Cooley High. It was all we got, areas near Mumford and GR/ Greenfield got the overhead smoke walkways, big planters and money for new businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    There have been of new businesses opening on Livernois. Hell, the mayor mentioned many of them at the state of the city. Go to the 22 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/qET6CYHGpPM
    I
    am glad to see new entrepreneurs but had any potential entrepreneurs studied the area to see what is needed and not what the entrepreneur want ti go there

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I
    am glad to see new entrepreneurs but had any potential entrepreneurs studied the area to see what is needed and not what the entrepreneur want ti go there
    You're just moving the goal posts now

Quote Originally Posted by cassique View Post
    Forgive me but was the Biggby a company store or a franchise? I am assuming it was / is a franchise. Regardless I would call it a "local" business. At the very least they are a "local" Michigan franchise.
    The franchisee was a person who owned a restaurant in Ferndale who wanted to bring a business into the city. I went to the coffee shop several times on the weekend and it was always pretty empty. It always stayed opened until 6-7 pm [[responding to stasu). It had its own parking lot, so parking wasn't a problem. I was very disappointed to see it close, it didn't last very long.

Maybe Shaquille O'Neal was right. O'Neal was approached several years ago by Dunkin' Donuts to do a commercial, and he turned them down, stating something to the effect that "black people don't drink coffee." The Detroit Sip on West McNichols and the Town Caffe coffee shop on Grand River in Rosedale also seem to be kind of empty.

I visited Good Cakes and Bakes on Ash Wednesday to get some vegan puzcski [[I know I murdered the spelling).

It was about 4:30 in the afternoon and I needed to circle the block to find a parking spot.

I assume that means that someone is shopping somewhere if there is a paucity of street parking.

I spoke with Apryl [[?) the owner of Good Cakes and Bakes and she admitted the construction severely cut into her business but said she had weathered the storm and had a positive outlook for the future.

The O.P. referenced that the new building at 7 and Livernois was still unoccupied. I believe the building is still under construction, hence, no renters yet.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    At the Biggby’s I’ve been to, they don’t pour you a fresh cup of coffee. They give you a cup and you fill it from some type of thermos on the counter. Don’t really like that as well as the Starbucks way. [[Not in love with Starbucks either)
    Same for the one by my house. This may be a recent move as that wasn't the case when I had been there in the past. Their menu items are limited, but the hubs like the food there.

Biggby was dead at the time that it had opened. The city, I was told, had given them a hard time, Biggby own contractors had not been on board all if the time, Biggby had a lackkuster opening not having balloons and other attention getting props to let passing motorists that they are there. I'm not putting down the other 2 coffee shops on or near the strip but Biggby had it's own variety if selection. I would say that Starbucks would be given a hard time n that strip. The strip need farmer's markets, a health food store, a real bike shop, and a shuttle