Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit ups it’s hotel game

This has probably been mention before but it bares mentioning again.
    Several new hotels are well on their way to opening soon, not just any run of the mill hotels either.
    Some have high pedigrees
    The new Temple hotel really caught my eye because of its sister hotel around the world and I personally know Sam from SBE and he does a class act with his high end trendy hotels. This new hotel will up Detroit’s hip game to new levels. It will be a great addition to Shinloa
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-detroit-hotel
    The new Cambria hotel here
    https://detroit.curbed.com/platform/...t-construction
    The new AC hotel
    https://detroit.curbed.com/platform/...stelle-theatre
    Perhaps with all the new hotel rooms and the newly named convention center the city can attract more conventions and tourists.
    Oh and lastly there is this .
    Viking cruises will be coming to Detroit.
    https://www.vikingcruises.com/expedi...kes/index.html
    And the new Motown Museum should be up and running around this time.
    Things are definitely looking up for tourism in the Detroit area

The Temple Hotel link is a tad old [[April of 2019) but the place is being worked on so you know it’s not an Ilitch controlled project. I’ve seen with my own eyes the work being done to the old Standard Accident Insurance Company Building.

What I learned from your first link is that Lenny Kravitz, yes that Lenny Kravitz, is behind the project and has an amazing real estate portfolio of accomplishments to back up his vision.

Who knew.

Detroit needs convention space, similar to what Chicago and Las Vegas has.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Detroit needs convention space, similar to what Chicago and Las Vegas has.
    Something like TCF Center [[formerly Cobo Hall)?

It's an undeniably spectacular hotel. Anybody who hasn't been should go see it and have something to eat at San Morello. The Pizza is amazing.

TCF is about 1/4 the size of McCormick Place. It's even smaller than the International Expo Center in Cleveland, but comparable with the Javits Center.

McCormick Place is, to me, far too big, and it isn't what I would call user friendly either. It used to be, a decade or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Something like TCF Center [[formerly Cobo Hall)?

McCormick weighs in at about 2.5 MILLION sq ft. Cobo barely moves the scale at 720,000 sq ft.

The single advantage Cobo has over McCormick is in proximity to downtown.

Now that Detroit has upped its game with a recent bevy of attractive boutique hotels like the Siren, Aloft, Shinola, The fire hq, the Detroit Club and whatever the Metropolitan is called ... we can compete for 2nd tier events.

Be happy with what you are. Quit trying to be Chicago. Never going to happen. Just be happy that the Vacuum Cleaner Convention might stop in every ten years, be grateful there are enough KISS fans still alive to bring there singular weirdness every now and then.

Cobo looks nice. It is clean, for once; the place has been visually opened to light and water. Parking is better.

It could be worse. It has been much worserer.

As has been stated here before, what Detroit needs to attract more convention business is another 500 room hotel close to TCF. The 2nd tower for the Crowne Plaza would have solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As has been stated here before, what Detroit needs to attract more convention business is another 500 room hotel close to TCF. The 2nd tower for the Crowne Plaza would have solved the problem.
    The 2nd tower was part of the original plan back in 1965. Awhile ago, the city council blocked 2nd tower Crowne Plaza expansion twice from what I read because they wanted hotel owners to sign neutrality agreement with hospitality labor union ever since than the owner pulls out the plan. Since Joe Louis Arena is almost gone, A new 500 room hotel would be a PERFECT spot for it,especially is at the riverfront!!
    Last edited by THE FURY 617; March-05-20 at 12:53 AM.

A new hotel on the old Joe Louis site would be PERFECT!
    Great call !

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    A new hotel on the old Joe Louis site would be PERFECT!
    Great call !
    As we've also said hundreds of times, nobody in their right mind would build a hotel there.