Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Photos - Grandmont-Rosedale Area Bars

My Dad grew up in Grandmont - Rosedale area and went to St. Mary's of Redford. Him and I have driven through numerous times and he's recounted a lot of fun stories - he mentions the Montrose Bar and Dooley's quite a bit. Obviously they aren't still around. Was wondering if anyone had photos of either of them, or bars from that area from the 60s and 70s. Or names of any other places in the area you knew or may have frequented.

Thanks!
    Last edited by motorcitymindhunter; February-19-20 at 10:23 AM.

Default Grandmont - St. Mary's Bars

I do not have pictures. It was Dooley's Bar [[Woodmont and Grand River). Grandway a little further east. Depending on how old your Dad is he might remember it had a six lane bowling alley. It was owned by Cronyn and Behen. Dooley's was owned by Bob Barry. Montrose Bar was of course on the corner of Montrose and Grand River. It was torn down I think a couple of years ago. Duffy's was on Grand River as well towards Greenfield, it closed in the late 70's. West towards Southfield [[Southside between Rutland and Longacre) the Grandmont Bowling Alley had a bar and at the corner of Grand River and Fenkell was Jordans on the River and the Cartwheel was across the street.

Thank you for the information! My dad remembers all of those you mentioned. His favorite was Montrose. He was class of '72 SMR.

My hangout when I lived in Rosedale Park was Chuck Joseph's at Grand River and Warwick. Great food, booze, and even a piano player on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcitymindhunter View Post
    He was class of '72 SMR.
    Slightly possible I know him, but I won't ask his name as I will NOT post mine.

One that I remember that stands out from his class was the girl that wore her uniform skirt cut as short as possible. He probably remembers who I mean.

And I'm almost certain he remembers the VanTiem twins. Everybody does.
    Last edited by Meddle; February-19-20 at 04:44 PM.

Default Chuck Joseph's

I have plenty of friends that agree with you Ray on that.

MotorCityMindHunter ---There is a book out there - Grand River and Greenfield Neighborhood. It has a ton of pictures your Dad would enjoy. Pretty sure it can be bought on Amazon.

Meddle - I believe you have mentioned the Van Tiem sisters in a previous post. I'm sure your predilection towards them is recalled in a wholesome and non-harassing spirit. As I will be seeing their older sister next fall at the SMR Class of '70, 50th reunion, I will be sure to mention "Meddle" and your wistful memories.