Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mrs. Maddox Cake Shop

Mrs. Maddox Cake Shop in Farmington closed last month due to retirement. They had been around a long time. Their claim to fame was when the original owner baked Charles Lindbergh's wedding cake. One of their unique offerings was boiled frosting [[icing) for cake. If you've not had it, it's a light, fluffy frosting that is far different from the buttercream frosting or fondant most bakeries use these days.

I have done an internet search to find another bakery in the metro area that also offers boiled frosting with no success. Does anyone here know of one that does?

I don't know of any but the recipe seems to be easy.

Default Mrs. Maddox

They made our wedding cake.

the best European style bakery on the west side, imho is Dearborn Sweets. Everything is done well and their cakes happen two be outstanding. As for a boiled frosting, can't say but I cant imagine they don't or couldn't. It is as good as JOSEF'S in St. Clair Shores.
    https://www.facebook.com/dearborn.sweets/***6456 Greenfield Rd Dearborn, Michigan 48126
    [[313) 581-5959
    Last edited by detroitbob; February-18-20 at 09:29 PM.

The European style Torte's and pastries at Josef's are wonderful... lot's of real buttercream [[and real whipped cream) and reduced sugar, as you would find in true European pastries.... yum.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    the best European style bakery on the west side, imho is Dearborn Sweets. Everything is done well and their cakes happen two be outstanding. As for a boiled frosting, can't say but I cant imagine they don't or couldn't. It is as good as JOSEF'S in St. Clair Shores.
    https://www.facebook.com/dearborn.sweets/***6456 Greenfield Rd Dearborn, Michigan 48126
    [[313) 581-5959
    I've been to both of these bakeries in the past. No boiled frosting there, but thanks.

They also made wonderful tea sandwiches.

When I was a kid, my mother always ordered sheet cakes & tea sandwiches from Mrs. Maddox for club meetings and special occasions at church. There was never any leftovers.

They were located in Detroit then, but I can’t remember exactly where.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    They also made wonderful tea sandwiches.

When I was a kid, my mother always ordered sheet cakes & tea sandwiches from Mrs. Maddox for club meetings and special occasions at church. There was never any leftovers.

They were located in Detroit then, but I can’t remember exactly where.
    The cake shop was on 7 Mile, between Greenfield and Southfield.

Check with Italian bakeries; I think boiled icing is similar to a Italian Meringue