Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Blount's season-long suspension

Don't know all the details [[sounds like the POTUS?) yet, however on the surface, Blount's behaviour indeed appears reprehensible. Defeat the opposition fairly on the field, not afterward with fists. What exactly did Byron Hout say anyway?

Took me awhile to figure out what you were talking about, since I didn't see the game and it didn't involve Detroit teams, but having seen the story and video linked below I'd have to say that Blount's actions definitely deserved a serious response.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4445891

Just noticed Hout was actually taunting Blount and hit him first. This meant it was now on, and apparently homey [[Blount) don't play that. Blount then lost it and went after others. Hout likely suspected that Blount would overreact. Getting into his head etc... But why after the game was over and his team was victorious? Spite? Blount should have been smarter than that.

Desmond Howard on ESPN got it right with his analysis. Hout the instigator should be served some modicum of a suspension as well. "Handling it internally" is insufficient.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; September-05-09 at 01:30 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Just noticed Hout was actually taunting Blount and hit him first. This meant it was now on, and apparently homey [[Blount) don't play that. Blount then lost it and went after others. Hout likely suspected that Blount would overreact. Getting into his head etc... But why after the game was over and his team was victorious? Spite? Blount should have been smarter than that.

Desmond Howard on ESPN got it right with his analysis. Hout the instigator should be served some modicum of a suspension as well. "Handling it internally" is insufficient.
    I concur with both vetalaumni and Desmond Horward, Hout should be suspended at least a few games, what kind of sportsmanship is that to taunt a man after a game when Blount is at his lowest and man enough to congratulate his compeditors? I thought his fist reaction was inexcusable but understandable, I think his banishment was the result of what hapened after he initially lost it.

I wouldn't disagree with taking some action against Hout. But you do have to keep in mind that Blount had been talking serious smack against Boise leading up to the game, even though his team lost to them the year before, and that his performance [[13 carries for -5 yards) certainly didn't even come close to backing up his talk, so he certainly should have anticipated that someone from Boise was going to bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    ... you do have to keep in mind that Blount had been talking serious smack against Boise leading up to the game... so he certainly should have anticipated that someone from Boise was going to bring it up.
    Yep, he [[Hout) brought it up and also hit [[touched) Blount. The untimely hit/touch was likely not to shake Blount's hand in a peace offering, but I could be wrong. Both were wrong, Hout lesser so though the instigator. Duly noted that Blount could be considered the initial instigator [[talking smack prior to the game etc...), though it did not involve hitting/touching.

Blount is back after a reduced 8 game suspension.