Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Rolling Stones: June 10 and 56 years ago

The Rolling Stones will play at Ford Field on June 10th during the run-up to the NAIAS. They first played in Detroit at Olympia on June 10, 1964. I presume some members of this group heard them at that time. There are only a few employed people doing what they did for a paycheck
    56 years ago. Their 1964 Detroit play list is shown below. Which one of those will they play on the 56th anniversary of their first visit toMotown?

June 10, 1964 Play list
    1. Not Fade Away [[The Crickets)
    2. Talkin’ About You [[Chuck Berry)
    3. I Wanna Be Your Man [[Pail McCartney)I
    4. Hi Heel Sneakers [[Tommy Tucker)
    5. Route #66 [[Bobby Troup)
    6. Walkin’ the Dog [[Rufus Thomas)
    7. Tell Me [[Mick Jagger and Keith Richards)
    8 Beautiful Delilah [[Chuck Berry)
    9. Can I Get a Witness? [[Marvin Gaye)
    10.I Just Want to Make Love to You [[Willie Dixon)
    11.I’m All Right [[Bo Diddley)

As I recall, only 400-500 people went to their first show at Olympia. I expect more will be at the Ford Field concert.

Time is on my side and Around and Around probably had not been recorded yet by the Stones. They were rock n rolls first bad boy group. The Beatles alter egos

I noticed the ticket price is a little more this time. Like second mortgage pricing. OUCH!

Been many great Stones shows in the Detroit area through the years, but the 1978 show @ Masonic Auditorium would be tough to beat. People without tickets climbed up the outside canopies and came in through the windows. The cops tried to bust them once they got in, but Mick told the cops from the stage to leave them alone, then instructed them to sit in the upper aisles.

Saw them ringside on the 1999 "No Security Tour" @ The Palace, when they walked out to a small stage mid-show in the center of main floor as a 5 man band. They only played 3 songs there..."Route 66", "Respectable", and "Midnight Rambler". The latter was with a shirtless Mick and the whip. Felt like I was watching "Get Yer Ya Yas Out" live from 10 feet away. I yelled, "Hey Charlie !", and he turned his head and smiled at me from the drum kit. Priceless !

"They'll never last."

are the tickets sold out already?

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Been many great Stones shows in the Detroit area through the years, but the 1978 show @ Masonic Auditorium would be tough to beat. People without tickets climbed up the outside canopies and came in through the windows. The cops tried to bust them once they got in, but Mick told the cops from the stage to leave them alone, then instructed them to sit in the upper aisles.
    That 1978 show was insane. Still, to date, the only time I ever saw the Stones. I remember struggling through a crowd and coming in just as Peter Tosh opening for them and getting a difficult reception. In the meantime chaos was beginning to reign outside. I also remember it being hot as hell in there, with a temperature of about 80 outside and a 100 or more inside. What was already a crowded show turned into a very tight squeeze as more and more people flooded in.

"When I'm watchin' my TV and a man comes on and tells me How white my shirts can be"

Name:  stonre [[2).jpg
Views: 446
Size:  98.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    I noticed the ticket price is a little more this time. Like second mortgage pricing. OUCH!
    A friend of mine paid $1600 for 2 tickets in the pit.

I have seen this band multiple times, but not so much as others. As a kid I STILL remember the Masonic show. Isn't that the one Ann Liebowitz captured Jagger doing a near ten foot straight-up leap? Yeah, it was on the cover of Creem magazine. All I remember is that it was a hot and sticky day. Wasn't Aerosmith doing multiple shows at Cobo at the same time? Or maybe it was Roxy Music. Hell, back then there were ALWAYS big shows, and they were at least three individual shows. Sometimes four.

So I bought myself and my daughter a ticket to this next Stones concert. At 24 she be, I am happy she is totally excited. Yeah, almost 300 hundred bucks a pop. But I tell you what - there's few things in life you feel like you get what you paid for.

Next time time these cats come to town they'll most likely be in their 80's, even 90's, and the youngest at 75 or 76 [[R Wood).

Good stuff kids. Good, good, stuff.