Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Should the Detroit Public Schools discontinue Active shooter drills?

Kristin Lam, USA TODAYPublished 8:38 p.m. ET Feb. 12, 2020
    “Michigan requires K-12 districts to hold three lockdown drills a year and to report completed drills on their websites no later than 30 days after.
    To avoid distressing students and leading them to think their learning environment is unsafe, the American Federation of Teachers and National Education Association this week urged schools to reconsider putting students through active shooter drills at all.”

Should the Detroit Public Schools discontinue Active shooter drills?
    Drill’s help keep everyone prepared. I went to White Elementary, Cleveland Jr High, and Cass Tech starting in 1955 and we had “duck & cover” air-raid drills all the time. We all grew up with the BOMB and turned out OK so what’s the problem with today’s kids?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CassTechGrad; February-14-20 at 10:44 AM.

And you guys grew up with the concept that any second the bomb could drop.

The solution is indicative of what created the problem,we were taught to respect and not question our elders or there would be consequences.

We really had no rights as a kid,now a 6 year old is treated and considered as an adult and everything is geared to not upset them,when you do the consequences are directed towards the adult.

You see on national media little children with thier middle finger up and people find it funny and approve of it because it is toward somebody they do not like.

Look at what happens when parents remove media devices from thier children,full blown temper tantrums,they watch the adults,if you do not get your way act out and make enough noise until you do,we did not have the right to be triggered over everything.

We also did not have attention getting school shootings like they do now either.

Heck they put a 16 year old in charge of world climate change,I did not think I knew everything until I was at least 17.

They have some of her followers on suicide prevention and drugged up because she convinced them the world is at end.

There also seems to be a stark difference in urban verses suburban schools and how the children react to situations.

Having said that,the media tends to highlight the most extreme cases,there still are a lot of respectful kids out there in both realms being raised as they should be,but they do not deserve recognition.
    Last edited by Richard; February-14-20 at 11:49 AM.

One post and we're in full blown boomer mode. Might as well move this to the Non-Detroit section because it's about to go downhill fast.

No. Should airlines discontinue pre-flight safety drills because the mention of oxygen masks and life jackets will lead some passengers to think that the planes are unsafe?

Schools should keep every safety drill they have, and probably add more. Even if the likelihood of a school shooting is low, at the least preparing for one teaches the students how to behave in an organized and disciplined manner while in a stressful situation. If students can't even be expected to handle the 'distress' of a faked drill, how will they ever cope when facing an actual emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    No. Should airlines discontinue pre-flight safety drills because the mention of oxygen masks and life jackets will lead some passengers to think that the planes are unsafe?

Schools should keep every safety drill they have, and probably add more. Even if the likelihood of a school shooting is low, at the least preparing for one teaches the students how to behave in an organized and disciplined manner while in a stressful situation. If students can't even be expected to handle the 'distress' of a faked drill, how will they ever cope when facing an actual emergency?
    It would really only be worth it if there is some indication that these drills prove to be effective. Active shooter drills or "lockdown" drills usually involve locking the door and sitting against the wall for like 20 minutes. They are really only worth the time and effort if they help.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And you guys grew up with the concept that any second the bomb could drop.

The solution is indicative of what created the problem,we were taught to respect and not question our elders or there would be consequences.

We really had no rights as a kid,now a 6 year old is treated and considered as an adult and everything is geared to not upset them,when you do the consequences are directed towards the adult.

You see on national media little children with thier middle finger up and people find it funny and approve of it because it is toward somebody they do not like.

Look at what happens when parents remove media devices from thier children,full blown temper tantrums,they watch the adults,if you do not get your way act out and make enough noise until you do,we did not have the right to be triggered over everything.

We also did not have attention getting school shootings like they do now either.

Heck they put a 16 year old in charge of world climate change, I did not think I knew everything until I was at least 17.

They have some of her followers on suicide prevention and drugged up because she convinced them the world is at end.

There also seems to be a stark difference in urban verses suburban schools and how the children react to situations.

Having said that,the media tends to highlight the most extreme cases,there still are a lot of respectful kids out there in both realms being raised as they should be,but they do not deserve recognition.

It is more accurate to say that the 16 year old stepped up because the adults are too busy arguing over whether or not climate change is a Chinese hoax....but nice try at minimalizing all the work that the 16-year old has accomplished while we "adults" have done next to nothing

By DPS do you mean SE Michigan? Because the AFT is talking to every community and this is a forum about Metro Detroit, Windsor [[obviously not AFT), etc. In this day and age, I would think shooter drills would be more important than ever in every school and in every community.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    One post and we're in full blown boomer mode. Might as well move this to the Non-Detroit section because it's about to go downhill fast.
    Lol boomers did not run around shooting up schools because they were busy being kids and not taught to be triggered by everything that we as an individual did not agree with.

By design schools are not geared towards the individual thoughts and feelings,a classroom is a group.

There is a difference between being reactive and pro active and creating solutions without addressing the core issues does not seem to be working so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post

I agree with this comment. By the same logic they should discontinue fire drills. Deadly fires in schools happen with far less frequency than deadly school shootings.

Also agree that this isn't a Detroit issue.

It seems to me a better solution is to remove the need for such drills at all.

Every time one of these events occurs, "The shooters motive" is pondered briefly then suspiciously dropped from the discussion before that motive is disclosed.

It didn't used to be like this. It doesn't have to be.

It's been done before. It can be done again.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-14-20 at 11:48 PM.

When I was in grade school we had air raid drills. Like hiding under your desk would save you from an atomic bomb.

LOL! Another irony is that some schools then had youth rifle clubs too. Imagine that now!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Lol boomers did not run around shooting up schools because they were busy being kids and not taught to be triggered by everything that we as an individual did not agree with...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    When I was in grade school we had air raid drills. Like hiding under your desk would save you from an atomic bomb.
    When I went to Anthony Wayne Elementary, Andrew Jackson Intermediate, and Denby High School, we went down into the steam tunnels under the school for our bomb drills. We were told we would come above ground to total devastation and maybe our parents might be alive to find us.

When we moved to Rochester, the schools had no deep basements and the dril was to get under your desk, stick your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    When I went to Anthony Wayne Elementary, Andrew Jackson Intermediate, and Denby High School, we went down into the steam tunnels under the school for our bomb drills. We were told we would come above ground to total devastation and maybe our parents might be alive to find us.

When we moved to Rochester, the schools had no deep basements and the dril was to get under your desk, stick your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye.
    At my suburban middle school [[Built in the early 1960's) there was basically a bomb shelter. A full poured concrete basement under the main part of the building with large reinforced doors and built in large stair wells for student access. There was nothing else down there, few if any pipes, HVAC, nothing. It was obvious it was purpose built as a shelter, but in the early 1990's it was just an awesome indoor dodgeball room. LOL.

All us old boomers will be dead soon and then you young guys can have this site all to yourselves. Until then, cut us some slack while we reminisce about how everything was better “back in the day”.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    LOL! Another irony is that some schools then had youth rifle clubs too. Imagine that now!
    You could buy one at the hardware store without any paperwork.

Name:  1950's Gun safe.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  127.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    , stick your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye.
    That took me back 50 yrs. When I was in basic, our DI asked what to do in case of a nuke attack, I raised my hand to answer, and related your exact words. He wasn't amused....I was doing pushups forever. lol

My high school still has a rifle team.

When my kids were younger,around 10 or eleven,I took them to the gun range and showed them how to tell if a safety was on and how to properly handle a gun,including the reaction when one is fired.

My X called the police on me,a young cop and his older partner showed up,the younger one was threatening to jail me under some child endangerment law while the older one looked like he wanted to lock him up in the trunk for his stupidity.

We live in a country full of weapons and a child’s curiosity is uncontrollable,most responsible gun owners do teach their children proper gun handling and I think they should have a gun safety safety course of sorts in the classroom,even if it is a one day thing where Leo comes in a gives a quick study.

In a school shooting situation,are the kids more traumatized by the actual shooting or the panic or feeling of helplessness,fire drills and such are designed to remain calm and procedural during the process.

The military trains the same way,repetition so you perform an act without thinking about it which removes the panic mode.

Personally I think that mode would continue outside of the classroom and would save lives in the future.

I agree with Jimaz [[without Thoms input) where motive is lost to the public.

There is more to it then,the moron went nuts and shot up the school.

Remember the phrase “going postal”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal
    Last edited by Richard; February-15-20 at 04:04 PM.

When I was a kid in the 50's all my neighbors were WW2 vets. Many including my dad and his brothers brought back weapons. All were hunters also. We all knew where they were and where the ammunition was. We never entertained the thought of playing with them or shooting one another. We were taught how to handle weapons and respect them. We also had a rife club at our high school.