Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Best Suburbs to Buy a House [[Long-Term Outlook)

I am looking to buy a home within close proximity to Detroit. If I didn't have a budget, I'd definitely choose Oakland County. However, Oakland County seems overpriced at the moment. Other than Birmingham and Troy, the school systems in the other cities aren't stellar for the price you pay to live there. I don't think the housing stock in Royal Oak, Ferndale, and Clawson are that great either, at least compared to the Grosse Pointes. Rochester Hills, Lake Orion, and Novi seem nice, but a bit too far for a daily commute to Downtown Detroit.

I live in Macomb County now and I am not a fan. I am not looking at Macomb County seriously to buy a house, although it isn't entirely out of the question. Would welcome anyone who thinks Macomb County's outlook beats Oakland or Wayne.

I love the housing stock in the Grosse Pointes, but I am wary about their long-term outlook and how much my house will appreciate over time. Grosse Pointe Woods' housing prices appear stagnant and schools are on a downward trend, although still good. GP Farms, City, and Park have great houses and schools at a lower cost than Birmingham, which can be a good and bad thing. I want my house to grow in value. None of the Pointes seem to be growing communities on par with Oakland County. Also, there isn't much going on around the East Side compared to Oakland County. Thankfully, there are more things to do in Downtown Detroit now, so I see myself hanging out in Detroit more if I were to move to the Pointes.

Realistically, I see myself narrowing down my search to Grosse Pointe Farms, City, and Park in Wayne County. In Oakland County, probably Troy. I am open to a good deal [[great house in my price range) if I find one in Madison Heights, Royal Oak, Clawson, Pleasant Ridge, and Huntington Woods.

Sorry for the rambling, but I wanted opinions on what people think are a good suburb to buy now based on long-term outlook and trends. This would include the suburbs that are further out, like Lake Orion and Romeo, but where you predict more people will eventually migrate to if sprawl continues northward. Is Royal Oak worth the price, or will there be another cheap neighboring city to see a boom and be the next Royal Oak or Ferndale [[such as Hazel Park or Madison Heights)?

Where are places you think are overpriced and will likely see a decline in popularity in a few years, and which places you believe could see a turnaround and would recommend buying now? No one can predict the future, but the worst case scenario to me would be, for instance, buying a house in Warren or Harper Woods 25 years ago only to see the value of your house plummet. Not to say those places won't see a turnaround, but no one wants to be in the position of buying in an area that becomes stagnant or more dangerous.
    Last edited by Roxy; February-09-20 at 04:11 PM.

Any suburban city that is along the main drag such as Michigan Avenue, Gratiot, and Woodward. There’s a reliable bus line of each. I would also say for long term living Huntington Woods, Birmingham, Grosse Pointe Woods, Ferndale, and St Clair Shores are some of your best bets

You're overthinking this too much, don't obsess over schools and test scores. Personal home life is by far the biggest indicator of a child's success not schools with the absolute best possible rating, don't get sucked into this trap. There is no reason to live in Troy, it is a horrible dull suburb and your kids will be bored to death.

Clawson and Grosse Pointe Park are fine and have perfectly stable outlooks.

Berkley is another good choice in Oakland County. I assume you aren't considering Detroit because of the schools?

Many of my friends and colleagues have moved back to Detroit. It isn't totally out of the question, but I think I am more leaning towards the suburbs. After factoring in taxes, insurance rates, and schools, living in the suburbs probably ends up being cheaper. I plan to have kids in the next five years, but even if I don't end up having any, schools affect property rates. Private school would be necessary if I end up having kids and living in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    You're overthinking this too much, don't obsess over schools and test scores. Personal home life is by far the biggest indicator of a child's success not schools with the absolute best possible rating, don't get sucked into this trap. There is no reason to live in Troy, it is a horrible dull suburb and your kids will be bored to death.

Clawson and Grosse Pointe Park are fine and have perfectly stable outlooks.
    Troy is close to Birmingham and has Somerset Collection and a plethora of restaurants. It isn't charming in the same way as Birmingham, Northville, or the Grosse Pointes, but I'd say there is a lot to do there.

As downtown continues to grow, Grosse Pointe will become increasingly attractive [[more and more people making the same decision you are now), so I wouldn't be worried about the longterm there.

Woodward suburbs probably have best outlook. Centrally located, close to the city without being in it, lots of amenities, nice downtowns in Royal Oak and Ferndale, older housing stock and neighborhoods with more character than you'd find in Troy.

Just to put expectations in check, the extent of home value appreciation is largely driven by the economic health and population growth of a region. So if you're expecting gains even remotely similar to other fast-growing metro areas with diverse economies, you will be sorely disappointed regardless of where you purchase a home in Metro Detroit

That being said, to increase the odds of your home value holding up and even rising in line with or greater than the rate of inflation, I would prioritize looking at areas near:

*White Collar job hubs [[I.E. Dearborn, Southfield, Troy, Auburn Hills and Warren)

*Near a ton of upscale shopping / amenities [[I.E. Somerset Collections in Troy, Twelve Oaks in Novi, Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills, etc.).

*Excellent school districts [[Bloomfield Hills/Birmingham, Canton/Plymouth/Northville, Grosse Pointes, etc.)

Knowing that, I would suggest the following places [[in this exact order):

1. Rochester Hills

2. Any one of the Bloomfields

3. Canton / Northville / Plymouth
    Last edited by 313WX; February-09-20 at 05:44 PM.

I live in SCS, and some of the best housing there is between Jefferson and Greater Mack, especially around 11 Mile. That is also the location of the Lakeview School district, the best of the 3 there.

I live near 11 Mile & Little Mack, smaller housing stock, but all brick homes. One of the best things about where I live is that I'm on the freeway in 2 minutes... either WB I-696... and can be at the Oakland County border in 10 minutes, downtown [[WB I-94) in 20 minutes. It's a great spot for hopping onto freeways, and the housing stock towards the lake is comparable to Royal Oak.

It's an interesting life-long process. Just for the helluvit, let me share my housing purchases over the last sixty-plus years.
    Got married in 1958. First house purchase in 1959 was at 19940 Lindsay, in Detroit, for $12,500. Sold for $18,500 in 1971.

Bought 20001 Houghton, Detroit, for $23,000 in 1971. Sold in 1977 for $32,000.

Bought 15505 Warwick, Detroit, in 1977, for $54,000. Sold in 1984 for $64,000. Moved to Nevada.

Bought 4571 McMillan in Nevada for $100,000 in 1984. Sold in 2006 for [[get ready) $305,000.

Bought my present home in Henderson, NV, in 2006, for $285,000. Still here. Present value about $350,000.

Been mortgage free since I sold the Vegas house and moved to suburban Henderson in 2006, but that's life. I wish you all success in your moves throughout life. It's an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Just to put expectations in check, the extent of home value appreciation is largely driven by the economic health and population growth of a region. So if you're expecting gains even remotely similar to other fast-growing metro areas with diverse economies, you will be sorely disappointed regardless of where you purchase a home in Metro Detroit

That being said, to increase the odds of your home value holding up and even rising in line with or greater than the rate of inflation, I would prioritize looking at areas near:

*White Collar job hubs [[I.E. Dearborn, Southfield, Troy, Auburn Hills and Warren)

*Near a ton of upscale shopping / amenities [[I.E. Somerset Collections in Troy, Twelve Oaks in Novi, Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills, etc.).

*Excellent school districts [[Bloomfield Hills/Birmingham, Canton/Plymouth/Northville, Grosse Pointes, etc.)

Knowing that, I would suggest the following places [[in this exact order):

1. Rochester Hills

2. Any one of the Bloomfields

3. Canton / Northville / Plymouth
    I had not considered Canton, but I'll take a look. A bit far from Downtown Detroit and everything in Oakland County, but I'd probably end up visiting Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor more than I do now if I lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I had not considered Canton, but I'll take a look. A bit far from Downtown Detroit and everything in Oakland County, but I'd probably end up visiting Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor more than I do now if I lived there.
    The biggest risk you run settling on any of the inner ring suburbs closer to downtown is that they will most suspectible to flight from the adjacent neighborhoods in Detroit that are dealing with high crime, high poverty, poor schools and divestment.

I saw a recent projection from SEMCOG that the neighborhoods away from Detroit's core will continue to see a drastic decline in population in the coming years, and those people are all going to be moving into communities right outside the city's borders. You're already seeing this in Harper Woods, Southern Macomb County and even places like Southfield / Oak Park or Redford, and that trend shows no sign of reversing.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-09-20 at 06:50 PM.

Well, I'll throw Dearborn into the mix. We bought a nice stone/brick 1929 Tudor here 30 years ago and it's appreciated nicely. Never had a speck of trouble all this time---no vandalism, loud music, drag racing, etc. Oh wait, somebody once threw a pumpkin through the back window of our van. Turned out it was some kids who got the wrong house---they were gunning for the teacher who lived next door. Anyway, the school system and city services are excellent, the taxes a little high but nothing like Ann Arbor or GP.

My wife [[who has lived in Dearborn her entire life) and I always get a laugh over how Dearborn is portrayed in the media. One side still thinks the ghost of Orville Hubbard still rules City Hall and another side insists Dearborn is/will be under Sharia law. We've seen the community change so much from the time we bought our house. Used to be 98% white. Today, on our street alone [[Cherry Hill and Outer Drive area), we have Iraqi, Albanian, Syrian, and Lebanese neighbors, with a gay couple, a b/w couple, a black renter, and a retired Hispanic autoworker who does nothing but shovel everyone's snow when he isn't mowing their lawns. Had a woman from Somali living across the street for several years until she moved. And of course, there's still lots of us palefaces around. No block parties or hoe-downs, but we all get along fine. It's kind of inspiring, actually. They should move The Iowa and NH primaries to this part of town if they want a more accurate representation of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    313 is a bitter troll, just so you're aware. Detroit has had some of the biggest appreciations in the country and the value's have not stopped rising steadily.

Canton and Rochester are the very last places I would recommend if you're working downtown. That's a stupid commute. Don't listen to mindless people recommending exurbia, the idea that the inner suburbs are in for some reckoning is a dated 90's idea that's well dead and buried now.

Hazel Park is adjacent to Ferndale and has had much appreciation recently but it's not at Ferndale levels yet, might be good to look there.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    people are all going to be moving into communities right outside the city's borders. You're already seeing this in Harper Woods, Southern Macomb County and even places like Southfield / Oak Park or Redford, and that trend shows no sign of reversing.
    You're like 20 years late with this spectacular prediction lmfao. It's already happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    As downtown continues to grow, Grosse Pointe will become increasingly attractive [[more and more people making the same decision you are now), so I wouldn't be worried about the longterm there.
    Exactly this, the Grosse Pointes are positioned to benefit the most from increasing Detroit desirability and the increasing amount of jobs coming it.

Clawson schools are in talks to merge with Troy schools, which will make Clawson an even better option.

I live in Rochester Hills and I really love it there, especially in the Rochester Community Schools district. Rochester Hills has a wide range of affordable and not affordable options. Tons of parks and green space, including the Paint Creek and Clinton River trails that go through the city. There are also four mega-parks in addition to smaller parks throughout the city.

I will go ahead and say you should also take a look at Wyandotte. Downriver is oft overlooked, but Wyandotte is a quck commute up Jefferson to Downtown Detroit, is right along the river and has a great, walkable downtown itself. Super affordable as well.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...88118736_zpid/
    Last edited by JDKeepsmiling; February-09-20 at 10:27 PM.

Canton is most excellent for a daily commute to Ann Arbor.
    You would look into ride shares - parking in Ann Arbor is
    pretty restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    I will go ahead and say you should also take a look at Wyandotte. Downriver is oft overlooked, but Wyandotte is a quck commute up Jefferson to Downtown Detroit, is right along the river and has a great, walkable downtown itself. Super affordable as well.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...88118736_zpid/
    Wyandotte isn’t really a quick commute to Detroit, it’s pretty far from I-75. And commuting up Jefferson is ok but the Ecorse cops will pull over anyone going 36 in their 35 zone. If you want proximity to Downtown, you can’t do better than Allen Park—exceptional schools, great nearby shopping on “The Hill,” nice 50s brick housing stock, and a great location on I-75, the Southfield, and I-94–enabling quick access to Southfield, Dearborn, Detroit, and the western suburbs. Not to mention the Airport being within breathing distance but with less of the plane noise that Dearborn gets.

If you can handle being in a more *secluded* location, Wyandotte is amazing because it has really cheap housing stock and a nice downtown. If you like drinking or are of Polish descent, move there as well—Wyandotte once boasted of having a “church and a bar on every corner.”

Wow no love for Livonia? Good schools good city services. 20 minutes to downtown. Minimal traffic with plenty of shopping and restaurants. What more do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Exactly this, the Grosse Pointes are positioned to benefit the most from increasing Detroit desirability and the increasing amount of jobs coming it.
    Harper Woods. Especially in the parts that are GP school district.

I'm only 1/2 joking when I suggest Windsor, ON

After all, houses are expected to appreciate 9% next year alone.

https://windsorite.ca/2019/11/windso...ys-new-report/

Its bound to be one of the top school districts in the area.

If you have status, as a property tax payer, I don't believe you have to pay tuition; but if you did, its about $9,000USD per year. For the top Public/Catholic schools.

Quite safe too. Typically about 4 murders a year in a community of 400,000

You do need to have some legal status in Canada if you want to live in the home uninterrupted [[An American can legally stay in Canada 6 months without a VISA), but after that you need to go and come back. Be in an interesting question if a daily commute across the border was considered to meet that requirement, and allowed you to avoid the VISA issue.

Just a passing, not uber-serious thought.

We lived in Bloomfield Twp with B'ham schools. I thought they were excellent, but when we moved my kids' new school appears more academically rigorous.

If money were no object, I would live in Pleasant Ridge/Huntington Woods and aim toward testing into International Academy or pay the money for Cranbrook. Alternately, I would buy in Franklin and look into Country Day.

If we had reliable commuter rail, I would live and enroll in Ann Arbor schools, alas that isn't a reality yet.

GP and Waldorf school would be another contender, if costs don't matter.

There are pockets of Oak Park that are in Berkley schools if you want to find a deal. Similar with Harper Woods to GP schools and Southfield to B'Ham schools, but neither of those communities were a fit for me.
    Last edited by hybridy; February-10-20 at 11:52 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast