Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Retail Stores coming to Detroit in 2020

In 2019 so many big retail come to Detroit, I still noticed alot of remodeled vacant storefronts, I noticed that alot of them seem to be currently under constructions.

Anyone from from behind the scenes know any stores opening in 2020 in Detroit

I would love to see an electronic stores, since we lost Staples, SEE optical, a shoe stores that sell, Skechers, Rockport, Cole Haan, and Blair

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would love to see an electronic stores, since we lost Staples, SEE optical, a shoe stores that sell, Skechers, Rockport, Cole Haan, and Blair
    That would be DSW.

Maybe a place to teach people that 'alot' isn't a word?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Not a big G-Eazy fan huh?
    https://youtu.be/E4jkMB3OV_g

I was in Detroit last November for a wedding at the Garden Theater. Stayed at the Book Cadillac and loved it. Shopped on Woodward for the first time in over 30 years; I bought a couple of items at Under Armour. I was glad to support one of the newer Woodward stores.

DSW would be a sure shot for Downtown area. I would like to include the Woodward Grand Blvd strip being ripe for new retail but as I had heard that the flea market type store owners have those store fronts already tied up. You know; The type of stores that don’t stay in business long but is there because someone just wanted to try their hand in the retail department but hasn’t a clue to running one

I love Vault of Midnight, a comic book store. But there needs to be some competition. I would like to see another comic book store that provides game nights for tabletop games and card games like Magic: The Gathering and Pokemon.

There are a lot of things to do and get downtown, but there are other places in the city that can use some new retail shops, and there are plenty of empty lots to put them on.

Quote Originally Posted by shawring View Post
    In 2019 so many big retail come to Detroit, I still noticed alot of remodeled vacant storefronts, I noticed that alot of them seem to be currently under constructions.

Anyone from from behind the scenes know any stores opening in 2020 in Detroit
    The answer to your question would appear to be "no". Once again, this type of thread turns into a wish list, minus the Cheesecake Factory.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The answer to your question would appear to be "no". Once again, this type of thread turns into a wish list, minus the Cheesecake Factory.
    So that means the worlds largest Cheesecake Factory is not going in the Hudson’s block after all? Next thing we’ll be hearing is that the House of Blues development is pulling out of Ford Field along with the Hard Rock Cafe not happening in Foxtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    So that means the worlds largest Cheesecake Factory is not going in the Hudson’s block after all? Next thing we’ll be hearing is that the House of Blues development is pulling out of Ford Field along with the Hard Rock Cafe not happening in Foxtown.
    Well, in all fairness, Hard Rock did come and go [[just not in Foxtown).

A Warner Bros or Disney store would be great for downtown and some type of candy store or even Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I love Vault of Midnight, a comic book store. But there needs to be some competition. I would like to see another comic book store that provides game nights for tabletop games and card games like Magic: The Gathering and Pokemon.

There are a lot of things to do and get downtown, but there are other places in the city that can use some new retail shops, and there are plenty of empty lots to put them on.
    what location would be best? West of Woodward, since VOM is east?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well, in all fairness, Hard Rock did come and go [[just not in Foxtown).
    Hard Rock cafe closed due to the high rent they were paying inside the Compuware Building. It's amazing that there is still nothing in that spot. HardRock was looking for another spot but amazingly they cant find one

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Hard Rock cafe closed due to the high rent they were paying inside the Compuware Building. It's amazing that there is still nothing in that spot. HardRock was looking for another spot but amazingly they cant find one
    Just google Hard Rock closures - Toronto, Vegas, Indianapolis, Phoenix...
    They're closing everywhere. I doubt they're looking very hard.

Is the Target on Woodward still happening?

Sears of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Toys 'r Us used to do that, but they're outta business.

Does anyone else find it odd that millennials buy everything online and are putting bricks & mortar stores out of business yet we expect those same people living downtown to restore retail on Woodward. There's a bit of a disconnect here.

Does anyone else find it odd that millennials buy everything online and are putting bricks & mortar stores out of business yet we expect those same people living downtown to restore retail on Woodward. There's a bit of a disconnect here.
    Hahaha great point!
    You're not suggesting they only care about craft cocktails, cold drip coffee, locally-sourced greens, and artisinal cheese, are you?
    Yeah, that's a problem.
    But I'm sure many of them don't, and they see the bigger picture too.
    Meanwhile if anyone is criticizing with some house in the 'burbs where you need to drive a car to buy milk, step back.
    Last edited by bust; February-17-20 at 11:06 AM.

It's really not just millennials though, other generations have shifted to mostly online shopping as well. In fact, most baby boomers I know do the majority of their shopping online now. When there are more options at often times a cheaper price, I see why consumerism in general has favored online shopping now.

I much prefer brick and mortar shopping during my free time. On a recent day off from work I spent an entire day at downtown shops and restaurants, about 8 hours in total.

It's on those work days though, when I'm too busy to be bothered with going out of my way that Amazon is just the easy way out.

At 35, I consider myself an elder-millenial. I see the value in both online and brick and mortar shopping. The every day or quick need items are the ones I am buying online. However it's the items paid for with "disposable income" that I'm most likely to hunt for in a brick and mortar environment.

I shop online because I have to, I live in Detroit and I don't have an option because retail is basically non-existent here. If I had options I would love to get up off my couch and not have to order everything through Amazon.
    I lived in Chicago in the loop, I did not purchase much online because I had options that didn't require me to go to the next county, I could take the L two stops to get anything that I needed and explore.
    Until Detroit grows retail, shopping online is the only option at this point

Brick and mortar stores have become the showroom for the online retailers. In fact, I shop online while I’m at the B&M store and most often on sites that only operate online. This is surely contributing to the collapse of the old economy but then again, it wasn’t too long ago when Walmart was dominating. Now it’s retailers like Amazon. Soon, they too will suffer. There’s always a kid with bright ideas hatching something big in their parents garage.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Brick and mortar stores have become the showroom for the online retailers. In fact, I shop online while I’m at the B&M store and most often on sites that only operate online. This is surely contributing to the collapse of the old economy but then again, it wasn’t too long ago when Walmart was dominating. Now it’s retailers like Amazon. Soon, they too will suffer. There’s always a kid with bright ideas hatching something big in their parents garage.
    I really dislike this - sorry. If you're going to take advantage of the physical presence, then I feel like you should at least make an effort to support the store. While what you're doing is something you can do [[like you can forego leaving a tip a restaurant), it just doesn't seem right.

I actually don't mind paying a few extra bucks for items that support local business owners and help to ensure that I'll have some stores to go to in the future.

When I think of Amazon, I just I feel like we're in a race to the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast