Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Anyone remember The Pointe BBQ in Sterling Heights? Food and entertainment was good

It was the younger sister to the place on East Warren. What was the name of that man cave type bar/restaurant on the other side of Van Dyke [[a few feet down the road) from the Pointe. Any other bars in the area that bring back the good times for you?

The bar across the street was called "Sixence" and has been torn down. I believe that Pointe BBQ later became "Winetasters" and was closed when the state widened Van Dyke. As for other bars in the area there was Mr F's at 14 and Van Dyke which was formely Fourtney's. An going back to the 60's there was asmall dumpy bar on 16 Mile just west of Van Dyke on the south side of the street called the "Halfway House". It is long gone. Also Fiore's at 16 and Vand Dyke which had great hamburgers. The bar is still there with a new name and new owner.

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    The bar across the street was called "Sixence" and has been torn down. I believe that Pointe BBQ later became "Winetasters" and was closed when the state widened Van Dyke. As for other bars in the area there was Mr F's at 14 and Van Dyke which was formely Fourtney's. An going back to the 60's there was asmall dumpy bar on 16 Mile just west of Van Dyke on the south side of the street called the "Halfway House". It is long gone. Also Fiore's at 16 and Vand Dyke which had great hamburgers. The bar is still there with a new name and new owner.
    Do you mean Sixpence at about 17 and Van Dyke? Loved that place. Loved Fiore's too. Great burgers

When I was a kid, I'd choose Sixpence as my birthday dinner so I could get their french onion soup, which I loved.

I loved their signature sandwich, which was rye bread, toasted with turkey and ham, open faced and covered with Welsh Rabbit. OMG, it was so awesome and led to my lifelong addiction to that delightful cheese sauce on rye bread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    When I was a kid, I'd choose Sixpence as my birthday dinner so I could get their french onion soup, which I loved.

Sixpence was like an English castle inside. Great food and atmosphere. I never went to Mr. F's but is was easily recognized by the brown and white cow out front. I think it is now atop Winters Sausage Co. on Gratiot West side, South of 9 Mile. [[Google Earth)

There was a BBQ joint on Van Dyke north of 14, east side. Red Hot & Blue. Was in the old Big Boy restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    There was a BBQ joint on Van Dyke north of 14, east side. Red Hot & Blue. Was in the old Big Boy restaurant.
    Loved RHB; best potato salad I ever had. They're a chain from down south and Michigan had two; the one on Van Dyke and one on the west side somewhere. Just didn't get enough business here. I'm still friends with them on FB. They're going strong down south

Bonedaddy's is another one. John R & 15mile. Old Hooters building.
    They were good.
    Bad Brad's is another with a few locations. Really good stuff.
    Last edited by One Shot; February-06-20 at 04:58 PM.

We used to go to the original Pointe BBQ on Warren. Best ribs I've ever had - not too saucy, a bit of a chew to them. When I do ribs on the BBQ, those are what I'm shooting for.

Champ's BBQ on Mack comes pretty close. It seems like most BBQ places shoot for fall off the bone consistency with way too much BBQ sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Loved RHB; best potato salad I ever had. They're a chain from down south and Michigan had two; the one on Van Dyke and one on the west side somewhere. Just didn't get enough business here. I'm still friends with them on FB. They're going strong down south
    I the thought other RHB was in Royal Oak right on Main St, then it became a Mexican restaurant, Diabalo or something like that. RHB wasn’t there a real long time.That particular corner in Royal Oak seems to be certain death to restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I the thought other RHB was in Royal Oak right on Main St, then it became a Mexican restaurant, Diabalo or something like that. RHB wasn’t there a real long time.That particular corner in Royal Oak seems to be certain death to restaurants.
    There was a BBQ on the "kiss of death" corner but I don't think it was RHB; I want to say it was in the Novi area. I remember the Mexican place too, which had another branch in Rochester and was very good, but couldn't survive in RO.
    Edit:
    Red Hot & Blue - CLOSED
    25750 Novi Rd, Novi, MI 48375

'There was a BBQ on the "kiss of death" corner but I don't think it was RHB; I want to say it was in the Novi area.'
    I loved it so much! I tried to make something like it by myself using my grills, but I believe the issue is not in the taste of bbq, but in the atmosphere of the place, which I never could reproduce.

There was a BBQ on the "kiss of death" corner but I don't think it was RHB; I want to say it was in the Novi area. I remember the Mexican place too, which had another branch in Rochester and was very good, but couldn't survive in RO.
    Edit:
    Red Hot & Blue - CLOSED
    25750 Novi Rd, Novi, MI 48375
    The BBQ joint on the corner of Main St and Eleven Mile Rd. was Memphis Smoke. Food was OK, but we miss the live music!! Blues, baby!!

What is the 'kiss of death' corner?

SW corner of 11 and Main in RO; constantly changing restaurants
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What is the 'kiss of death' corner?

SW corner of 11 and Main in RO; constantly changing restaurants
    That is a recent phenomenon. Memphis Smoke was there for a long time IIRC. We'd usually go there to see live music, the last couple of times we went the food and service was pretty bad, which is probably why they closed.