Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default GM commits to $2.2 billion investment and 2,200 jobs at Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly

"General Motors is investing $2.2 billion in its Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant to make it a state-of-the-art facility building electric and self-driving cars.
    "The automaker said Monday the plant will provide 2,200 jobs as it shifts to become the company's first all-electric vehicle plant.

"Detroit-Hamtramck will start production of an all-electric pickup in late 2021, then build the Cruise Origin, an all-electric self-driving car.
    "This will be General Motors' most technically advanced assembly plant," GM President Mark Reuss said in a news conference at the facility. "That's really amazing."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...bs/4564108002/

Halla friggin lulia - I lived in Hamtramck in the 80's and for them to waste that plant after all the residents went through to build it would be disgusting.

Great news. Tesla's coming hard. GM come harder.

Both the purchase of Delphi by BorgWarner and subsequent drop in stock value may be an indicator of the big shakeup coming to the auto industry with the change to electric vehicles. A lot of the jobs may disappear due to the fact internal combustion engines & transmissions require a lot more parts than electric.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Both the purchase of Delphi by BorgWarner and subsequent drop in stock value may be an indicator of the big shakeup coming to the auto industry with the change to electric vehicles. A lot of the jobs may disappear due to the fact internal combustion engines & transmissions require a lot more parts than electric.
    That's a hard pill for Detroit to swallow. We've been through a lot and this automated vehicles could lead to more job losses, huh?

How about this Hummer being released? Will some of the auto nuts on DetroitYes compared the output on this thing against Tesla? Is GM at the Tesla electric performance level now? https://jalopnik.com/the-reborn-gmc-...1-5-1841354378

Good. I'm tired of these oil phuckers. Solar panels are up on my garage and getting a charger installed in two weeks, EV to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post
    Good. I'm tired of these oil phuckers. Solar panels are up on my garage and getting a charger installed in two weeks, EV to follow.
    Welcome to the solar and EV family. We have 28 panels and a BMW i3. Living in Palm Springs certainly helps with the solar production!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Welcome to the solar and EV family. We have 28 panels and a BMW i3. Living in Palm Springs certainly helps with the solar production!
    Thank you. Yes I would imagine Palm Springs has to be a top spot in the country for solar. I live over in Santa Monica, the amount of foggy mornings here would surprise most. Congrats on your decision.