Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Anyone remember Bob Schwartz, manager of The Wonderettes from the 1960s?

I'm trying to find out more about him, and whether or not he owned or co-owned Ruby Records, and Enterprise Records. He was also manager of The Wonderettes [[Detroit female Soul singing group during the 1960s). He co-owned Different Music publishing Co. together with his songwriting partner, Jack Thomas.

I'm also interested in finding information about Johnny Thornton, a songwriter who wrote for Motown and freelanced for small Detroit labels, and was also a producer. His wife, Rose Johnson-Thornton [[AKA Rose St. John) was lead singer of The Wonderettes [[other members: Lavernah Williams and Joan Rutledge). Jack Thomas was their other major songwriter, in addition to Thornton and Schwartz.

I was also told that Thornton owned a recording studio in Detroit during the 1960s. I'd like to find out more about that.

Enterprise Records was listed at 13415 Lyndon St. Detroit 48227, during the early and mid to mid-late 1960s. That address has recently been occupied by a Sherwin-Williams paint store.

Anyone who can answer my questions, or can lead me to any of these people who are still around, or can tell me more about these people and their part in the 1960s Detroit music scene please post an answer to my queries. Thanks.

Here is one of their songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOqgLlO8wyo

Here is one of Bob Schwartz Buildings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3948...7i16384!8i8192

Bob Schwartz was partner with United Artist Records at the time.
    Rose St. John and the Wonderettes was a girl group consisting of Rose Johnson-Thornton, Lavernah Williams, and Joan Rutledge founded in 1963 by song-writer Johnny Robert Thornton, and Jack Thomas, and managed by Bob Schwartz.

The group was from Detroit, Michigan and first recorded under the United Artists label. Originally, the group was named “The Wonderettes” by manager Bob Schwhartz. After their first hit “I Feel Strange” made it to the Billboard charts the name was changed to “Rose St. John and The Wonderettes”. The group dis-banned following the passing of Johnny Thornton in 1974.

Their major recordings under various labels are:

I Feel Strange
    Fool Don’t Laugh
    Mend My Broken Heart
    I Know the Meaning of Tenderness
    Witchcraft in the Air
    Last edited by Danny; February-06-20 at 12:22 PM.