Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Vs Everybody shuts 4 shops

"Detroit pride retailer Detroit Vs Everybody closed four of its locations Monday as part of a shift in its business model.

"The clothing company recently moved into a 10,000-square-foot warehouse and will now focus on two high-performing locations at Eastern Market in Detroit and Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi, according to a report from Crain's Detroit Business.

"The four closed locations are Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights, The Mall at Partridge Creek in Clinton Township, Southfield Road in Southfield and Fairlane Town Center in Dearborn, according to the report."
    https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com/?pub...b3a6e0_13434df

It's a great slogan, but I'm guessing it made them a bit of a one trick pony. Once the novelty wore off, and every one who wanted one of their products had one, then what?

Also, with the recent rise of Detroit and its image, the slogan has lost a bit of its bite. Thoughts?

The slogan is catchy. I've seen it copied.
    And it's not by chance it originated in Detroit.
    It's a reflection of our regional problems.
    May we defeat them.
    It will be great when this concept becomes obsolete.
    Last edited by bust; January-23-20 at 11:23 AM.

I do find it funny when I see people in my neighborhood wearing "Toronto vs. Everybody" shirts. In Canada most of the rest of the country hates Toronto because it's kind of the stuck-up, rich bitch so I guess it's sort of supposed to be the opposite of Detroit's legitimate logic for the phrase.
    It's not the first time Toronto has copied a Detroit slogan. Drake tried using "the 416" until he got a lot of flack for copying 313 so he shortened it to "the 6".
    Last edited by 401don; January-23-20 at 10:51 AM.

Maybe they should look into hiring Emily Gail. [[Wonder if she's still sporting pigtails?)

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It's a great slogan, but I'm guessing it made them a bit of a one trick pony. Once the novelty wore off, and every one who wanted one of their products had one, then what?

Also, with the recent rise of Detroit and its image, the slogan has lost a bit of its bite. Thoughts?
    I think there are still places they can take this brand, and I don't think the slogan has lost any of its bite. The scrappy fighter image is what people like about Detroit. That will only intensify as the city stacks up some wins.

The real money isn't selling these locally, it's expanding the brand awareness nationally and internationally [[think the I Love NY campaign, or the Hard Rock shirts). It's the perfect time to do it too, since Detroit is coming into its own as an urban tourist destination.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    Maybe they should look into hiring Emily Gail. [[Wonder if she's still sporting pigtails?)
    I spent too much time and money in her shop on Congress.
    http://www.emilys.org/

I hope their superstore strategy works.

Ive noticed when there, someone in Cleveland loves to copy Detroits moves..they started selling “ the 216 “ after Detroit did “ the 313”, then I noticed “
    Cleveland vs everybody “ tshirts after Detroit did it. I always think its a pretty low grade mentality to constantly copy. Cant they think of anything original ?

Based on the locations of these store closures, it seems to me that this decision has more to do with the current suburban mall retail crisis rather than with the company's performance.

I love Detroit but I would never buy anything with those tacky slogans on it.

It's embarrassing.

I dislike tshirts so I'd not buy one... LOL!

Using the area code on shirts is not a new thing, nor was it invented by Detroit. But the "Cleveland vs. The World" stuff is a blatant ripoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Ive noticed when there, someone in Cleveland loves to copy Detroits moves..they started selling “ the 216 “ after Detroit did “ the 313”, then I noticed “
    Cleveland vs everybody “ tshirts after Detroit did it. I always think its a pretty low grade mentality to constantly copy. Cant they think of anything original ?
    Toronto is the most famous rip-off of Detroit vs. Everybody, but I've seen it many places. There are a ton of Brooklyn vs. Everybody knock offs floating around, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I dislike tshirts so I'd not buy one... LOL!
    They also sell hoodies and hats and "polo shirts" and jackets.

You do what you want with your money...but you can't support a local entrepreneur by buying a shirt for a friend or family member?
    Last edited by masterblaster; January-24-20 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    I love Detroit but I would never buy anything with those tacky slogans on it.

It's embarrassing.
    He also produces Faygo hoodies, like below:

Name:  arctic.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  38.4 KB

He was supposed to open a store at 7 Mile and Livernois, joining Brix Wine Bar in the new mixed-use project, 7.Liv, that is currently under construction. I wonder if that is being nixed.

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/arti...ois_and_7_mile

I was just funning...... I even know how to run a traditional silk screen machine from digital image film transfer, screen inking, to heat dryer to power-washing the screens for reuse. I purchase tshirts to support stuff from time to time. They're just not worn too much!

I do like to work out in hoodies! Embroidery is hot for apparel as well!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    They also sell hoodies and hats and "polo shirts" and jackets.

You do what you want with your money...but you can't support a local entrepreneur by buying a shirt for a friend or family member?
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-24-20 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    He was supposed to open a store at 7 Mile and Livernois, joining Brix Wine Bar in the new mixed-use project, 7.Liv, that is currently under construction. I wonder if that is being nixed.

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/arti...ois_and_7_mile
    I would assume this one is staying on course. I wasn't thrilled when I heard this was a tenant here, but Livernois is a good stretch for small businesses so maybe it will perform well there.

hopefully more unique designs continue.