Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Name:  mlk1.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  33.6 KB

Most people [[anywhere)... don't realize that Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech was first given in Detroit 2 months before he gave it in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q3fosthiFU

Speaking of 1963...another well-known speech, Malcolm X's "Message to the Grass Roots," was given at the King Solomon Baptist Church [[still standing) just a couple of weeks before JFK's assassination. That's the speech where Malcolm X famously divided America's blacks into "house Negroes" [[moderates like King) and "field Negroes" [[more militant blacks).

I've always been fascinated with Malcolm X [[who was nicknamed "Detroit Red" during his criminal days) and the Nation of Islam, which was founded by some mysterious radical [[named Fard?) in Detroit during the Depression.

March, 1968, Dr. King gives a speech at Grosse Pointe South High School: https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/...te/1030581001/

Malcolm's speech at the now-razed Ford Auditorium in Detroit, February 1965.
    https://www.blackpast.org/african-am...rd-auditorium/

He's probably rolling over in his grave, to see how this country is just as, if not more divisive now, as when he was alive.

The Grosse Pointe Unitarian Church used to sponsor a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr essay contest. Students were invited to write about MLK and there were prizes and a modest reward ceremony for the students who wrote the essays the jury thought were best. The church worked with school districts to invite students to participate, and at a minimum, schools in Detroit and Grosse Pointe did.

This was a wonderful idea. I was a student in the Grosse Pointe district and were it not for this contest I would have learned little about this incredibly inspirational man, and this important moment in history. My teachers did not otherwise include enough about them in their regular curriculum. [[How are these topics addressed in Detroit area schools today?)

It doesn't appear this contest exists any more. I hope they or some other organization brings it back.

Hypestyles, thanks for the links. Those were great.
    Last edited by bust; January-23-20 at 10:44 AM.

My parents ended up with an extra ticket that night and offered it to me. I turned it down. What a dope! In my defense I was 14 at the time.

So many great quotes from Dr. King.
    Here's one I wish people to remember:

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

GPCharles, in case there is any doubt, my post was not in response to yours!
    Besides, 14-year olds are easily forgiven. [[Adults who act like 14-year olds, not.)
    Last edited by bust; January-23-20 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The Grosse Pointe Unitarian Church used to sponsor a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr essay contest. Students were invited to write about MLK and there were prizes and a modest reward ceremony for the students who wrote the essays the jury thought were best.
    Every year on the Sunday before MLK Day, a church near me hosts an interfaith gathering where HS seniors from the surrounding school districts read their essays as to what Dr King's message means to them and our society at large.

The eloquence & insight of these young minds are simply astounding. Like many people, a negative aspect of growing older for me has been a marked increase in cynicism. Attending this gathering each year provides a much-needed dose of renewal, optimism, and hope. I always bring a tissue because, with each passing year, I come closer to needing it.