Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The 10 PM news competition just got intense!

2 and 20 will need to make room for some new competition that's approaching.

Starting this Wednesday, WKBD-50 will be reviving their 10 PM newscast. It will be produced elsewhere, but local staff has been hired.
    https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/three-cbs-owned-cw-stations-add-nightly-news

Meanwhile, WADL-38 will launch a new program to be hosted by Kevin Dietz, a former WDIV reporter who was fired in July for his racist remarks.
    https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/television/2020/01/17/wdiv-reporter-kevin-dietz-news-now/4498546002/

How long will these new programs last?

People watch TV news?

The only news I watch on TV is the local news.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    2 and 20 will need to make room for some new competition that's approaching.

Starting this Wednesday, WKBD-50 will be reviving their 10 PM newscast. It will be produced elsewhere, but local staff has been hired.
    https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/three-cbs-owned-cw-stations-add-nightly-news

Meanwhile, WADL-38 will launch a new program to be hosted by Kevin Dietz, a former WDIV reporter who was fired in July for his racist remarks.
    https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/television/2020/01/17/wdiv-reporter-kevin-dietz-news-now/4498546002/

How long will these new programs last?
    My guess is Kevin Deitz's new program will last until he makes a racist remark.

It'll be fun to watch how many Detroit names get mispronounced. My bet is on Gratiot being the first.

Grat-ee-ott was the best I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    It'll be fun to watch how many Detroit names get mispronounced. My bet is on Gratiot being the first.
    Along with Groesbeck and Shoenherr.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Detroiters are still trying to figure out how to pronounce Gratiot, Freud, Livernois, Goethe, Cadieux, Piquette, and Charlevoix.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; January-22-20 at 11:08 PM.

If there is one thing we all need, it's more television news. How will I ever know what is happening with the news only on at 4-8am, then at 12, then from 5-7:30pm, then 10-11:30pm? If I only had a device accessible to me at all times that I could get up to the minute news on. God when will we be blessed with such technology? Oh well. Guess I better go grab the newspaper and see what's going on before Action News at Noon comes on.....

For what it's worth, it's the same here in Las Vegas.....and I suppose elsewhere. And for every hour of news, it's 2 minutes of news, 38 minutes of fluff, and 20 minutes of commercials. I'm with Mikeg19.....where's my paper?
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-23-20 at 03:15 PM.

Like the two gentleman above me, I sure do miss the large, thick, full service rags. Main paper down here is now the same size as the East Side Shopper of 50 yrs. ago was.

Whats a paper?

Do the local stations even do 'news' any more? I can remember when something would happen, 2, 4, 7 and later 50 would all show up within minutes of each other and set up their remote trucks, scrambling out with cameras and other gear. 'Course that was usual well after the print crews were already there with the photogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Detroiters are still trying to figure out how to pronounce Gratiot, Freud, Livernois, Goethe, Cadieux, Piquette, and Charlevoix.
    Or my favorite Lahser, I went most of my life pronoucing it Lasher.

Quote Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
    Or my favorite Lahser, I went most of my life pronoucing it Lasher.
    So did my father. If I had a dollar every time he said Lasher I would be living on the French Rivera.

If only the competition intensified due to the quality.
    Market-tested cookie-cutter drivel from Dallas will not be that. Nor Dietz.
    Haha: at least there will be local "weather talent".
    People would be better informed if they did not watch the kind of local news available on Detroit TV.
    Last edited by bust; January-27-20 at 11:56 AM.

hire some folks here who are looking for work in journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    For what it's worth, it's the same here in Las Vegas.....and I suppose elsewhere. And for every hour of news, it's 2 minutes of news, 38 minutes of fluff, and 20 minutes of commercials. I'm with Mikeg19.....where's my paper?
    Thanks Ray -
    I'm with you, local news seems centered on national news first. Then commercials, fluff, lame and worse. Give us local journalism. In depth and insightful. Not if it bleeds it leads.

I like "Wall of Shame" on Fox 2. The only Fox News I can stomach.