Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dodge Ave , Warren Circa 1956-57 " Sam & Nellies Soda Fountain " ?

I'm a 66yo male been in West Ky most of my life but was born in Detroit . My grandfather and grandmother lived on Dodge Ave and he worked at Chrysler. I have fond memories of my Aunt taking me to a soda shop that also carried all kinds of toys . She called the place " Sam & Nellies " and my limited research has failed to turn up anything about it . I'm hoping some of the old timers here remember it and its location . All I know is it was in the Warren area and I dont think we had to drive far from Dodge Ave. to get there . Any help would be appreciated .

Sam & Nellie's? Doesn't ring a bell. However, my Uncle Wally once ran a place called Salmonella's, where he sold month-old kielbasa. Between the meat and the name, the place didn't last long.

All I remember is that Sam and his wife Nellie ran the place , that may not even have been the name of the shop . They carried lots of toys and I remember a soda fountain with counter stool seating and booths also . Seems like they may have even had a grill .

I found a picture, but no location yet...

Name:  SamAndNellies.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  74.8 KB

According to source on Facebook it was on 9 Mile, south side, just east of Lorraine.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4634...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

That's good work, 48307.

This sort of reminds me of a place in the Fisher Building in the early 70's. It was a diner/restaurant with a lunch counter and all kinds of toys. My doctor was in the building and after a visit, my mother and I would have lunch at the restaurant and I, of course, would shop the toys. Sometimes, we walked through the tunnel over to Saks Fifth Avenue, which was in the Albert Kahn building on the next block. Sadly, that's how much the area has changed, although it has improved greatly in recent years.

Hey wow thats it lol . Thanks so much 48307 . You don't know how much it means to see that again and relive some of the great memories I have of being a kid in Warren before moving away in 1960 . Just wish my Aunt was still alive to share this with . You've made my day .

I'm glad I could help, ric44, you're most certainly welcome!

Lowell, you just gotta add a facebook-type "Like" button on DY! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Lowell, you just gotta add a facebook-type "Like" button on DY! LOL!
    And maybe allow 'd o u c h e b a g' as a word on DYES again, now that the "Fudgies" are finally disbanded...