Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default One Campus Martius Expansion Coming Online in March

The first of the four big Gilbert/Bedrock projects is almost ready to go--a 310,000 foot expansion of 1 Campus Martius, fka the Compuware Building.

The other three are the Hudson's site, the Monroe Blocks and a renovation of the historic Book Tower on Washington Boulevard - the total investment is estimated at $2.15 billion.

Name:  One Campus Martius Expansion.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  82.7 KB

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com/?pub...5c8ba6_13434d9

In related news I saw where Dan Gilbert is coming back to work on a limited basis.

The OCM building has received significant elevator upgrades.

As part of this project two new elevator shafts are being constructed in the building. Two existing elevators were re-done to have front and rear doors the car and shaft. Four previously empty shafts had elevators put in them. A new "smart-elevator" system is in place, but currently is only partially functional.

I thought that the project had been completed a few months ago

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I thought that the project had been completed a few months ago
    Not sure where you got that from. It’s still under construction but the majority of exterior work is done.

The external construction elevator is coming down. This one is just about done.

There are new elevator shafts that are nearly online.

The "Woodward" side of this building had an existing freight elevator that recently Bedrock has built temporary walls to make a dedicated, uninterrupted passageway between the existing freight elevator and the new addition on certain floors.

Rumor has it that my desk will be moving into the new addition, but nothing is official until it happens

bump

Quote Originally Posted by AmberM View Post
    So his headquarters get completed [[ahead of schedule, wow!) and the other two or three are bait and switch? Why even bother mentioning Monroe and Hudson's anymore? One site has ceased all activity and the other is essentially idle for 27 months and shrouded in secrecy. Then they float the U of M innovation center as a diversion, providing essentially zero details. It's all such a letdown. And spare me the public relations excuses.
    Were you born stupid or was it a conscious decision?

I suppose we're all stupid for thinking corporate welfare in Detroit is in any way altruistic and not just naked self-enrichment and greed at our expense. I think we're all stupid for thinking the flashy MLS stadium district was anything more than a bait and switch scam. See also District Detroit. And I think we're all stupid for thinking the Hudson's skyscraper will ever be built. Over 80 stories! Haha, good one!
    Didn't answer my question, honey

I suppose we're all stupid for thinking corporate welfare in Detroit is in any way altruistic and not just naked self-enrichment and greed at our expense. I think we're all stupid for thinking the flashy MLS stadium district was anything more than a bait and switch scam. See also District Detroit. And I think we're all stupid for thinking the Hudson's skyscraper will ever be built. Over 80 stories! Haha, good one!
    Maybe as a newbie, you should read more of the earlier posts on some of these threads... only 1 poster actually believed the Ilitches were going to build District Detroit. He no longer posts here beause he had foot in mouth disease.

Many years ago on this forum a poster by the name of Brian swore that the Book Cadillac and Fort Shelby would never get restored... and he's never been heard from again on this forum.

So before you start down that path... just remember that there are 100 properties that Dan Gilbert has purchased downtown... and a .970 batting average is a dream for any ball player.

So Campus Martius has an extra 300K in office space going up, any you find that boring... we don't care.

At the same time that the Hudson's block is going slow, the Stott Tower has risen from an empty hulk, the Free Press Building is undergoing a transformation, and the Book Tower and Building are undergoing a $310 million restoration which already shows how wonderfully the exterior once looked. And yes... with the help of another philanthropic billionaire the fail jail site is going to move to the head of the "new development" line and undergo phase 1 of perhaps a decade expansion of the jail district, while Gilbert is paying for a new Justice Complex over on E. Warren and I-75.

You have been on this forum for what... a few weeks now? Just simmer down and wait... some things take years. "We may not be the Windy City... and we're not Sin City... and we're certainly nobody's Emerald City." So just chill out and give it some time...
    Last edited by Gistok; February-15-20 at 02:31 PM.

So his boiler-room expansion, the project none of us really care about, gets completed ahead of schedule and the other two or three are bait and switch? Why even bother mentioning Monroe and Hudson's anymore? One site has ceased all activity and the other is essentially idle for 27 months and shrouded in secrecy. Then they have the gall to float the U of M innovation center to divert us, providing essentially zero details. It's all such a letdown. And spare me the public relations excuses.
    Hudsons has been actively under construction and someone has been very kind in uploading daily videos of it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...vGOLiIOs1ZawzA Yesterday alone they poured one of the tower caissons and did a handful of garage columns, and are getting the ground ready for more.

For the Monroe Block, right now downtown's office buildings are full and if anyone else wants to move downtown, they can't because there's not space. One way or another, a lot more office space needs to be built.

The One Campus Martius expansion was done the fastest because it's the easiest. You're just putting some steel up and tossing a curtain wall on it. There are less tasks to do and fewer trades and subcontractors to deal with, and so it moves faster.

Under construction is a generous description. Just looked this morning: It's a giant empty hole 27 months after groundbreaking. No weekend crews? No financing. No anchor tenants. No blueprints. Are you paid to spin for Bedrock or a volunteer sycophant?

And love the labor shortage talking points straight from the PR shop. Pray tell how Midwest's Milwaukee, Chicago and Nashville, and even fraction of the size Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids, have so much recently completed and on-going new construction?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money...ct/4075644002/

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...nd-rapids.html
    There's quite a bit of construction around Detroit. Not only big news developement, but if you bothered to drive around the neighborhood there is also quite a bit of smaller [[2 family and smaller apartment) developemebt going on as well. But for some reason you pick out 1 developement[[a project you probably couldn't even fathom) and equate it to other cities without any nuance to the situation Detroit's in, historically or economically.
    I'll leave this little map here for you of the bigger projects, some may not get built, but most are underway and it obviously doesn't include the countless of smaller renovations going on in neighborhoods across the city.
    You are not intelligent

https://detroit.curbed.com/platform/...evelopment-map

Under construction is a generous description. Just looked this morning: It's a giant empty hole 27 months after groundbreaking. No weekend crews? No financing. No anchor tenants. No blueprints. Are you paid to spin for Bedrock or a volunteer sycophant?
    Were you banned under a previous account? This one is 4 days old, and you've done nothing but post negativity from day one.

I'm not in construction, but I assure you that blueprints [[to some degree) must exist for the kind of serious foundation work that's been underway. Yesterday's video [[the 14th) sure looked busy as heck, despite the bitterly cold weather.

Furthermore, crews have worked the last two Saturdays, as one can easily confirm via the YouTube posts.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2020/01/24-story-mixed-use-building-proposed-for-downtown-grand-rapids.html
    I don't get what you're comparing here. This is a very preliminary proposal. There's nothing to say a) it will ever be built or b) it will even be 24 stories. Not really relevant either way, other than you're trying to use it as evidence that Detroit is so different.

Who are you exactly and why did you come up out of nowhere? Posting about other cities and derailing all the development threads here... hmmm

You have the ability to look up the construction videos just like everybody else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRUMWRTYHRk

Workers are on site every saturday... again who are you?

I'm a long-time Detroit resident who's fed up with fake projects and corporate welfare giveaways. The biggest economic boom in 75 years and what do we have to show for it? A taxpayer-funded hockey arena for a last place team and a taxpayer-funded expansion on a boiler room [[originally built 20 years ago by Karmanos)? Oh, sorry, can't forget the Z-lot parking structure. Dream freakin' big.
    Define "long-time". Most people named Amber haven't been on earth all that long.

I'm a long-time Detroit resident who's fed up with fake projects and corporate welfare giveaways. The biggest economic boom in 75 years and what do we have to show for it? A taxpayer-funded hockey arena for a last place team and a taxpayer-funded expansion on a boiler room [[originally built 20 years ago by Karmanos)? Oh, sorry, can't forget the Z-lot parking structure. Dream freakin' big.
    Technically, this has been the *longest* economic expansion in US history, not the biggest nor a boom.

Looky here the video update for today which is saturday. Workers clearly on the job. Looks like somebody is caught in a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAvoVWGN4q8

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Looky here the video update for today which is saturday. Workers clearly on the job. Looks like somebody is caught in a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAvoVWGN4q8
    With all the new vertical columns near the backside of the pit that have risen in the last few weeks...

I've never understood why people want to lie to say there's nothing happening at this site.

People like to stir up this forum, the Detroit subreddit and comments on the YouTube videos,then either delete their comments when they are caught in an outright lie, or get banned. I think they get a weird thrill from being the most annoying person on the internet.

Back to the topic at hand, the were testing some interesting lighting on the exterior of One Campus a few weeks ago; the building was lit up with red or blue strips of lights on each floor. Hard to describe, but it looked kind of cool.

Man oh man, I tell ya, the shit you miss when you don't pay attention is astounding. I have no idea what happened but it reminds me of crime scene tape fluttering and the neighbors not seeng nuttin

Pffft... she's gone....

Anyway... Dan Gilbert drives us crazy with the waiting on the FINAL final design of Hudson's... but he's had such a good track record, that although patience is not our virtue... at least work is still going on.

As EGrant already mentioned, we also have noticed in the last couple of weeks, on and off , from the 19th floor of our co op in Lafayette Park, that the new addition at OCM has each floor outlined in neon at night. Looks very cool on the skyline at night in the red or blue.
    Last edited by DetBill; February-16-20 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    As EGrant already mentioned, we also have noticed in the last couple of weeks, on and off , from the 19th floor of our co op in Lafayette Park, that the new addition at OCM has each floor outlined in neon at night. Looks very cool on the skyline at night in the red or blue.
    Ordinarily I would wish they had continued using the same design as the other 3/4 of the building... but this new design with large expanses of glass actually makes it look like it's a different building... and that makes it look much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Pictures please, currently out of state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast