Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit will not get much-anticipated Alamo Drafthouse Movie Theater

Sad.

Supposedly cancelled because of parking uncertainty.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...d-over-parking

Is there an Alamo Drafthouse in Santa Ana? Asking for a friend [[in a coonskin cap).

These are nice theatres! And it appears that this Texas-based chain is looking to expand! Too bad Detroit won't get one.

Detroit Rising Development was right to identify Detroit as a great market for the ADH brand. Geek and retro culture is very big in Detroit, and ADH specializes in showing remastered versions of cult classics, in a state of the art theatre to boot. Combine that with our exceptional craft beer scene, and the ADH would have been a sure shot. A lot of people I know are extremely disappointed in this news, and this is a big loss for Detroit.

curious. did they want a flat lot or a tower?

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Detroit Rising Development was right to identify Detroit as a great market for the ADH brand. Geek and retro culture is very big in Detroit, and ADH specializes in showing remastered versions of cult classics, in a state of the art theatre to boot. Combine that with our exceptional craft beer scene, and the ADH would have been a sure shot. A lot of people I know are extremely disappointed in this news, and this is a big loss for Detroit.
    I know the owners of Cinema Detroit and I’m sure they’re relieved. Please support your local businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I know the owners of Cinema Detroit and IÂ’m sure theyÂ’re relieved. Please support your local businesses.
    Yes support your local businesses but that’s unfair to say. Detroit is a big enough market for more than one theater; as it is they pretty much only HAVE one in city limits for crying out loud. Alamo drafthouses don’t have many screens either. The city totally could absorb another theater or two without hurting the local businesses any.

I know the owners of Cinema Detroit and I’m sure they’re relieved. Please support your local businesses.
    You are absolutely correct to urge us to support local businesses, but the experience at an Alamo Drafthouse, with beer and a meal in a modern structure with stadium seating built for showing films, is a lot different than the experience at an "art-house" like Cinema Detroit, and, like Dmberko11 stated, we should be a big enough market for both local and this chain.

Local cinema doesn't have the quality and class of an Emagine, Star AMC, nor MJR. If the reason why preventing a star quality theater from opening because it will take business away from the much smaller local Cinema then city planners, the council person, and others should be definitely voted out or fired