Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Sports Teams

Just looked at the sports page in my Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper and noticed the posting for the bookies odds on championship seasons for 2020. The Pistons are at the bottom at 2000 - 1. The Red Wings are at the bottom at 2000 - 1. The Tigers are at the bottom at 1000 - 1. There won't be a posting for the 2021 Super Bowl for the Lions until after this season is completed.

Hey, for those of you who are faithful and super-confident, if you have a spare Franklin in your pocket, here's a chance to make a real killing...................

The three longest shots in three major sports, with Vegas still to weigh in on the Lions. Well, at least we're number one in something.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sport...erican-sports/

Worst year in the history of pro sports and that was with the Pistons playing .500. Could easily surpass it this year.

Time to bring back the Michigan Panthers and the Detroit Drive and save some face!

Ray, some have been raking-in allot of dough betting against these losers.....for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Ray, some have been raking-in allot of dough betting against these losers.....for years.
    Yeah, but not from me. Even though I live in Vegas, I never bet sports. Or horses. I drop a twenty into a slot now and then just for the fun, and once in a while I even hit a hot one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yeah, but not from me. Even though I live in Vegas, I never bet sports. Or horses. I drop a twenty into a slot now and then just for the fun, and once in a while I even hit a hot one.
    Hey Ray, totally different subject, is the city of Summerlin a nice area/place to live?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Hey Ray, totally different subject, is the city of Summerlin a nice area/place to live?
    Yes! Summerlin is up-scale; practically zero crime rate, and so close to the mountains [[Spring Mountain Range) you can practically touch them. It's not really a city, though; it's the name given to a Del Webb home-builder's area; it's still in the City of Las Vegas. My home is in the Anthem area of Henderson, NV, s/of Las Vegas. Quite Similar but in an area of smaller mountains [[Black Mountain). Please feel free to contact me privately at rdown3657@cox.net if you have any questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yes! Summerlin is up-scale; practically zero crime rate, and so close to the mountains [[Spring Mountain Range) you can practically touch them. It's not really a city, though; it's the name given to a Del Webb home-builder's area; it's still in the City of Las Vegas. My home is in the Anthem area of Henderson, NV, s/of Las Vegas. Quite Similar but in an area of smaller mountains [[Black Mountain). Please feel free to contact me privately at rdown3657@cox.net if you have any questions!
    Ray,

Thank-you for the quick reply & contact information, online I was looking at some "new construction" condos in Summerlin, but wasn't sure of the area. Winters getting very old.....I may contact you if more serious about LV, also looking at FL options.

It's official, Detroit's sports suckage is at all-time epic levels:

Detroit had worst calendar year in the history of American sports

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It's official, Detroit's sports suckage is at all-time epic levels:

Detroit had worst calendar year in the history of American sports
    It was official when I posted it.

I heard on a Portland, Oregon radio show last week that Detroit teams set a record for combined US pro sports teams with something like 214 losses in 2019. Was this covered in Detroit media?
    In 2018, all four Detroit teams had losing records. In 2019, three teams had losing records, while the Pistons finished at .500.

Just noticed 401Don's link. 226 losses in 2019 for four Detroit teams.
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/sport...erican-sports/

Speaking of losing and long-suffering but still faithful Detroit fans...some trivia:

* In 1952, the Tigers finished dead last with a 50-104 record, but still drew a million fans to Briggs Stadium. It was the first time that a pro team in any sport had attracted 1 million fans while finishing in the basement.

* In 1955, the 3-9 Lions had the worst record in the league, yet set a NFL record for season ticket sales. That season they also became the first pro football team to rake in $1 million at the gate, a significant achievement at a time when ticket sales were still the primary source of revenue.

55 wins is where Vegas has the Tigers for 2020. I think they might be a little better then that but not much. Does the carnage ever end around here?

Lions? Please. Far as Vegas is concerned, they're off the board.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    * In 1955, the 3-9 Lions had the worst record in the league, yet set a NFL record for season ticket sales. That season they also became the first pro football team to rake in $1 million at the gate, a significant achievement at a time when ticket sales were still the primary source of revenue.
    The 1955 Lions season was an anomaly in the time of their greatest success. They had gone to the championship game the previous 3 years, winning in '52 & '53, losing in '54. In '56 they would miss winning the division by one game [[after Halas had the Bears cheap-shot Bobby Layne out of the deciding final game of the season). And in 1957 the Lions would win the championship again, their last one to date.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The 1955 Lions season was an anomaly in the time of their greatest success. They had gone to the championship game the previous 3 years, winning in '52 & '53, losing in '54. In '56 they would miss winning the division by one game [[after Halas had the Bears cheap-shot Bobby Layne out of the deciding final game of the season). And in 1957 the Lions would win the championship again, their last one to date.
    Yep, the Lions were THE team for much of the '50s. Another piece of trivia...as you mentioned, the Lions won divisional titles in 1952-54 and 1957. Two other seasons, 1951 and '56, they went into the final game of the season needing just a tie to capture the division. Each time the game was played on coach Buddy Parker's birthday [[Dec. 16), and each time they lost on the road: 21-17 to SF in '51 and 38-21 to the Bears in '56.

The QB who replaced Layne after he was KO'd by Ed Meadows was none other than Harry Gilmer. It was his final NFL game. Harry actually was a helluva two-way player in college and the pros, and he was a decent back-up to Layne for two seasons. When Gilmer quit the Lions shopped around for another back-up and came up with a guy named Tobin Rote. [[Rote should be in the HOF but that's another story or thread.)