Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Favorite classsic muscle car?

Back in the day we had so many to choose from.

Muscle cars? Not my bag. The more you can haul home, the better the car. I'll take a Ford Explorer. Some are bigger, but the additional bucks don't add up to improvement. Sorry, Lester, but I just had to thread hijack.

They were cheap back then also,when it was decriminalized I traded 2 lbs of weed for a 1965 GTO 6 pack convertible and two 1967 GTOs,which was like $500 back then.

I had a 1969 Ford Mustang Mach1 that I paid $200 for that was a lot of fun but my friends 69 super bee beat it so I sold it.

I have had every SS version of Chevrolet chevelles from 1965 to 1969,not probably considered a muscle car but I bought a 1969 XKE that was packed up in boxes,restored it and had fun with it,but it was to hard to climb in and out.

I wish I would have kept any one of those.

Now it is puttering about at a top speed of 45 mph in a 1946 chev 1 ton but if I run across a fixer upper 67 GTO I would grab it, so I guess I could claim that as my favorite.

The last one I had I dropped a 455HO out of a Trans-am in it and it lasted 4 days before somebody ran a red light and t-boned it.

I think it is sad the younger generations never got to experience Detroit muscle and the prices are now such they have limited access.

Most Mopars from that era and ‘63-‘67 Vette’s blue!!

I had a 70 Plymouth Duster, muscle car body but with a slant 6. Bought it 3 yrs. old while in high school. Had a factory green paint job that I loved. Great car except for those black plastic seats on a July day!

They're not cheap now:
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ic/4429294002/

My first and only muscle car was a new 68 Plymouth Road Runner coupe. Was working at Chrysler Trenton Engine with lots of overtime. I managed to make 2 payments a month [[Who can afford that now ?). About $3200.00 out the door at Bistran's C-P on Eureka in Wyandotte. Wish I still had it.

Not a big muscle car person but always liked the ole Grand National.

The right classic Audi can haul too, but some forget about their power. Would love a bit of time behind the wheel of a [[not quite classic) 2014 Audi R8!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-20 at 09:01 AM.

I had a Dodge something old with a slant six. What a darling. Bucket seats and all I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I had a 70 Plymouth Duster, muscle car body but with a slant 6. Bought it 3 yrs. old while in high school. Had a factory green paint job that I loved. Great car except for those black plastic seats on a July day!

They're not cheap now:
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ic/4429294002/

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    My first and only muscle car was a new 68 Plymouth Road Runner coupe. Was working at Chrysler Trenton Engine with lots of overtime. I managed to make 2 payments a month [[Who can afford that now ?). About $3200.00 out the door at Bistran's C-P on Eureka in Wyandotte. Wish I still had it.

I bet you do. One in pristine factory condition, would set you back about 30 G's now, depending on options. I myself am a Muscle Car lover, as I was a youngster when they were popular, and guys in my neighborhood had them. I'm partial to Mopars as well.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-11-20 at 09:11 AM.

One of the biggest regrets of my life was not getting a Hemi powered car back in the 1960’s when I had a chance to. We always thought that the muscle car age would go on forever. America will never see a time like that again. To prove my point, this happened yesterday:

Friday, Janurary10, 2020, Peter Dapena, CNN Business
    1968 Ford Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the movie "Bullitt" just became the most valuable Ford Mustang ever sold at auction. It went for $3.7 million, including auction fees, at the annual Mecum collector car auction in Kissimmee, Florida.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  7.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They were cheap back then also,when it was decriminalized I traded 2 lbs of weed for a 1965 GTO 6 pack convertible and two 1967 GTOs,which was like $500 back then.
    Really? Please provide evidence that a GTO 6 pack ever existed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Really? Please provide evidence that a GTO 6 pack ever existed!
    You must be young,6 pack was 3 2 bbl carbs

The term actually started with the Chrysler 440 6 pack but everybody just referred to the 3x2 set up as a 6 pack.

We could get really technical and eliminate everybody from the discussion that did not have a factory numbers matching muscle car that was stored in a garage with 5000 miles on it but in the 70s you could buy them cheap and use them as a daily driver without worrying if a leaf landed on them.

here is one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KonyEPb5zd0
    Last edited by Richard; January-11-20 at 11:30 AM.

You must be young,6 pack was 3 2 bbl carbs

here is one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KonyEPb5zd0
    You have never been around car people or muscle cars or you would know GM never called it a six pack and you would get laughed out of a Pontiac meet for using such a term! Maybe you had a Nocar Mopar?

^ Yea okay,My guess is it was intended to be a fun thread but for some reason that mentality kicks in that actually changed the car scene from a lot of fun into a lot of obnoxious people.

No where did I ever say GM called it a six pack and if anybody is that anel retentive at a Pontiac meet that they would laugh somebody out for calling it a 6 pack,when that is what it commonly was referred to,then they need to scrap their cars and find another hobby because the car scene was never intended to be like that.

I noticed at the last Turkey rod run at Daytona the Pontiac club guys were trying to get $1500 for the set-up when they pop up for $400 to $600 in the street.

I pulled a crate of hard to find Pierce Arrow parts out of the trash dump one day,I could have sold it for $12,000 but asked $500 because it is about keeping the cars and history on the road,it’s about people,cars and the stories.

I pulled a 2.5 liter out of a 1985 chev S10 and stuffed a 472 caddy motor in it,I wonder if the 2.5 liter Chev S10 club would laugh.
    Last edited by Richard; January-11-20 at 12:14 PM.

^ there is a 1987 with 85,000 miles on it on market place down here no rust,needs paint and says sitting not running asking $8000 but even at that if one gets it and has less then 15k in it that is a lot of car for that money.

Those cars screamed,handled and rode nice. I have a friend that has one with 15,000 miles on it,I was stupid enough to race him in my corvette,even at 55 he walked away from me like I was stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    One of the biggest regrets of my life was not getting a Hemi powered car back in the 1960’s when I had a chance to. We always thought that the muscle car age would go on forever. America will never see a time like that again. To prove my point, this happened yesterday:

Friday, Janurary10, 2020, Peter Dapena, CNN Business
    1968 Ford Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the movie "Bullitt" just became the most valuable Ford Mustang ever sold at auction. It went for $3.7 million, including auction fees, at the annual Mecum collector car auction in Kissimmee, Florida.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  7.2 KB
    When I ordered my 68 Road Runner I asked about a Hemi. $714.00 option. But since I ordered late, I would have to wait till the 69's came out. Took the 383 instead. Hemi car would be worth a fortune today.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I had a Dodge something old with a slant six. What a darling. Bucket seats and all I think.
    Slant six "The leaning tower of power". I machined thousands of those 78 pound cylinder heads. Fun times.

I had a 1969 Mustang coupe. My dad bought it for me off of the Ford employee tag lot. If was red, with black vinyl bucket seats. I drove it during the summers back and forth to work at Greenfield Village. In fall, when I went back to college it stayed at home, so my mom used it. I LOVED that car. In September of 1974, I moved into my own apartment, by November the car was stolen from the complex parking lot. I have missed that car my whole adult life.

Indeed! A far cry from some of those later Dodge and Chrysler straining 'tickity-ticking' nondescript motors of the 90's!

Slant six "The leaning tower of power". I machined thousands of those 78 pound cylinder heads. Fun times.

Those SS Chevelles were nice [[ and VERY costly and collectible now) Too bad you never acquired the 1970 model.

Quote Originally Posted by lester wild View Post
    Back in the day we had so many to choose from.
    Absolutely!!! What an awesome time to be interested in cars that had style, uniqueness and flair!

I had a 1969 Ford Mustang Mach1 that I paid $200 for that was a lot of fun but my friends 69 super bee beat it so I sold it.

I have had every SS version of Chevrolet chevelles from 1965 to 1969,not probably considered a muscle car but I bought a 1969 XKE that was packed up in boxes,restored it and had fun with it,but it was to hard to climb in and out.

I wish I would have kept any one of those.

Now it is puttering about at a top speed of 45 mph in a 1946 chev 1 ton but if I run across a fixer upper 67 GTO I would grab it, so I guess I could claim that as my favorite.

The last one I had I dropped a 455HO out of a Trans-am in it and it lasted 4 days before somebody ran a red light and t-boned it.

I think it is sad the younger generations never got to experience Detroit muscle and the prices are now such they have limited access.
    You're right .. The prices, the uniqueness, the flair, and the options these cars came with made most young men interested.

When I ordered my 68 Road Runner I asked about a Hemi. $714.00 option. But since I ordered late, I would have to wait till the 69's came out. Took the 383 instead. Hemi car would be worth a fortune today.
    That $714 seemed like so much money back then [[ and it was) That hemi [[as you say) would be a phenomenal investment today!

Maybe Ken Browns got one of these left over 1969's somewhere on his lot, way in the back, that's been overlooked all these years!The old car Bible says base price was $2945 for the post car.

Name:  Road Runner 1969.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  85.8 KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast