Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

A couple of things that disappeared when the cool 70,s fazed out were Holley, Thrush Woody Woodpecker, STP, etc stickers on muscle cars.

Another was the jacked up rear ends. With that came the saturday night burning rubber on side streets. That sort of disappeared when the k-car square body era came around.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    Somebody near my old neighborhood, I think they lived on Annott between Manning and Pinewood, was a tester for the Chrysler Turbine car.
    My dad took a ton of photos of the Chrysler Turbine car that was displayed at the 1965 NY World's Fair. I got to see it in person when it was on display at the Henry Ford Museum about 8 or 10 years ago. It was there for only a limited time. I don't know where it's stored now. I imagine at that "car museum" that used to be at the FCA HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    there are a lot of them still out there sitting in garages and sheds and fields if one wants to look.
    I can readily find a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda in my brother's garage, which has been there for a number of years for when he "gets the time" to refurbish it.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    A couple of things that disappeared when the cool 70,s fazed out were Holley, Thrush Woody Woodpecker, STP, etc stickers on muscle cars.

Another was the jacked up rear ends. With that came the saturday night burning rubber on side streets. That sort of disappeared when the k-car square body era came around.
    I had Doug's Headers stickers in the quarter windows on my 68 Road Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    I had Doug's Headers stickers in the quarter windows on my 68 Road Runner.
    I liked the Super Bee livery myself.

Olds Toronado '67 -- best car Detroit made - 425, supercharged:

My apologies, the pix didn't get right-sized ...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by beachboy; February-01-20 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    My dad took a ton of photos of the Chrysler Turbine car that was displayed at the 1965 NY World's Fair. I got to see it in person when it was on display at the Henry Ford Museum about 8 or 10 years ago. It was there for only a limited time. I don't know where it's stored now. I imagine at that "car museum" that used to be at the FCA HQ.
    There was one on display at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, just outside Kalamazoo. I spent an entire enjoyable day there a few years ago.

I grew up near Waltham and Manning and saw a Chrysler Turbine many times in the neighborhood, probably the same one that pjbear05 saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I won't be mentioning the Javelin, but rather the two-seat AMX. Only about 15,000 were made from 1968 to 1970. Still own one with only 23,500 miles on it.Name:  AMX Cropped.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  75.8 KB

The fender had two pieces that came together along this knife edge. I believe they used silicone bronze to fill-in the joint then each one was finished by hand. It shows what the auto companies could do if they wanted to back then.Name:  joint [[2).jpg
Views: 331
Size:  68.4 KB

^ lots of cool innovations,they were front wheel drive,useing a chain to drive the transmission,one with 25,000 miles sold for 18,000 at auction,for that kind of money it is hard to beat as a daily driver.

During the gas shortage and high prices in the early seventies,that car would have had a $50 trade in value,you could not give them away and a lot got crushed.

When you look at the brass era cars and a lot of these,you could put them in your living room as works of art.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4