Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

cheddar bob Guest

Default Harwell Diagnosed With Cancer

That is pretty sad...

But with folks in their 80s and 90s cancer spreads less quickly than folks half their age.

My brother-in-law's grandfather was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer at 85. He died at 91 of a heart attack.

My mother was diagnosed with terminal colon cancer at age 85 and only given less than a year to live. She'll be 87 next month [[and still lives at home) and is doing rather well with mild chemo once a week.

That's not to say that Ernie is going to make it much longer... but doctors do have a hard time predicting longevity of elderly cancer patients.

Man that bites. I remember sitting through many years of him broadcasting the Tiger games. But on the other hand, I'll be lucky if I see 91.

Sad news for sure, but Ernie's got a positive attitude so hopefully that will give him as much time as possible. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

I have very few heros. Ernie is one. When I was young, people died from cancer. Now, people live with cancer. Thoughts and prayers are with him from so many people whose lives he touched.

I'm very proud to have met Ernie at the 2002 Fantasy Camp and have my picture taken with him. I grew up with Ernie's voice giving me hope for our beloved Tiger's in the 60's, some great years, mostly not so good but he made it right. My Dad's name was Ernie as well.

Good luck to you Ernie!!

I had the honor of interviewing him for a book years ago and he is as down to earth as anybody you'll ever meet.
    He's a great example of what a Christian [[or any other human being) should be.

Good luck Mr. Harwell from a Tiger's fan!

Mr. Harwell said that since his a deady form of cancer, he will not recieve any treatment. I will pray for him for God's miracles that will save his life.

Best wishes to one of the true gentlepersons of the Detroit scene. Here's hoping for a miracle and that you are looooooong here!

I ran into Ernie at the Cherry Festival in 2004 and took a picture with him and he couldn't have been warmer. Too starstruck to also ask for an autograph, I sent my then girlfriend to do my dirty work. When she told him that he was her boyfriend's idol, in true Ernie fashion he replied: "Your boyfriend must be easy to please." I've kept the picture and autograph framed on my wall ever since as a reminder of the kind of person I would like to be. All of my best to Ernie and the Harwell Family.

Good luck, Ernie!

He has a great attitude about it. God bless him!

I was just thinking last week about how lucky Tigers fans are to have such a class act like Ernie still around. To this day I am still pissed about how he got jacked outta the park and replaced by Rizz, et. al. That was soooooo not cool.

I know things are not going to be good with this situation; he makes me proud to be a die-hard Tigers fan and I feel very fortunate to have grown up listening to him and sharing his love for the game.

I'm sure there are some audio around of him; does anyone know of a place that I could get some of his past recordings?

Ernie epitomizes class. From our lips to God's ears...we're praying, Ernie. Godspeed.

God Bless you, Ernie! And your family too.

-- Tim

He is truly a Gentleman, and a hero to me. As a child, I listened to him bring the ballgame to my transistor - as an adult - no Opening Day at Tiger Stadium would be complete without an Ernie Hug. I am blessed to know him and know that God Blessed us, by loaning him to his for a bit.

Best wishes always for Ernie. A gentleman, a great companion over several decades of warm summer nights, and one of my favorite Detroiters of all time.

Best wishes ..... the way in which he is approaching this defines both courage and grace.

GO TIGERS!!!

An encyclopedic knowledge of baseball lore. A unique personality with a down home speaking style. I swear sometimes it seemed that he was talking directly to ME while he called the games!
    I have a photo of he and my dad talking baseball, on my living room wall.

Mr. Harwell, please know that you are loved by many and can be compared to nobody. There will never be another. A salty tear is falling down my cheek as I write this.

Damn.
    Last edited by Bobl; September-05-09 at 12:34 PM.

Ernie's condition is a shame and a great loss. As much as I'm repulsed by people who feel the need to constantly proclaim their faith, Ernie always seemed honest and gentle about his faith. As much as I'm not a believer, he makes me think good sometimes comes from belief. Dear Ernie, I'll miss you .................greatly!

The Tigers organization needs to take this opportunity, before the season ends, to have one more pregame tribute to Ernie so we can show this man how much he is loved and revered.
    Better yet, let him broadcast another game so we can hear that legendary voice once more.
    God Bless you Ernie.

God be with you Ernie.

Harwell's going to be speaking before the game Wednesday night vs. the Indians. This was just announced tonight [[Monday) ..... I fortuitously have Wednesday off work, so I think I'm going to drive up from Cinci for that one ..... hopefully lots of fellow Tigers' fans join me.

You mean against the Royals. The Indians do not come to Detroit anymore this year.

Stromberg2