Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Michigan’s brain drain is back, as best and brightest leave state

The increase in net loss from 2018 to 2019 is only 2nd to California, according to the analysis below.

Also, those leaving Michigan had a median age of just under 30 years old and more than 45 percent have a college degree.

https://www.bridgemi.com/quality-lif...st-leave-state

The article states it's unclear why young people are leaving. I would have thought both gov't and corporations would be conducting very rigorous surveys to find out exactly why. You can't fix the problem otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The article states it's unclear why young people are leaving. I would have thought both gov't and corporations would be conducting very rigorous surveys to find out exactly why. You can't fix the problem otherwise.
    Too bad we couldn't reallocate a fraction of the $36 million we spent on those tired Pure Michigan ads in 2019 into research before it was completely cut from the budget. However, I'd imagine they'd find the obvious; lack of industry diversity, weather, roads, schools, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Too bad we couldn't reallocate a fraction of the $36 million we spent on those tired Pure Michigan ads in 2019 into research before it was completely cut from the budget. However, I'd imagine they'd find the obvious; lack of industry diversity, weather, roads, schools, etc.
    I agree for the most part but that's why you do research. Maybe 10 or 15% of university grads are leaving because of incorrect pre-conceived ideas about a lack of various career opportunities. Somehow I imagine Gilbert has done more than a little research on this.

Pure Michigan is hardly a waste of money. Its a proven winner with tourism, whose revenue Michigan needs badly.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Pure Michigan is hardly a waste of money. Its a proven winner with tourism, whose revenue Michigan needs badly.
    They're run out here in southern Nevada pretty regularly. Love them. Reminds me of home. Well, except for the ads that try to boost winter. That I can do without.

Well, except for the ads that try to boost winter. That I can do without.
    Another 20 years, we be doin' Bama style.

Well if you're wondering why we have a brain drain it 's this:
    From the metro times.

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...ities-for-jobs

Young people can't stay if they can't find jobs here.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    From the metro times.

Indeed. Timely article.

And I have to imagine the young people who remain in MI and work in Automotive are having serious 2nd thoughts about sticking around after last year's blood bath.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    From the metro times.

Be careful using WalletHub as a resource. It's a marketing company. Do we really think Grand Rapids and Toledo have more job prospects than Detroit? And Chicago is 142nd?

Like I mentioned, the jobs market here isn't great and relies mostly on one industry, but it isn't dead last.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Be careful using WalletHub as a resource. It's a marketing company. Do we really think Grand Rapids and Toledo have more job prospects than Detroit? And Chicago is 142nd?

Like I mentioned, the jobs market here isn't great and relies mostly on one industry, but it isn't dead last.
    This ranking is silly, to say the least. Employment in the Detroit metro is largely spread out. So if only the city is included, this has a major impact upon the rank. I think that, to mean much of anything, the MSAs should be used. Not much on WalletHub means anything though [[in my experience/opinion).

There are plenty of jobs here. Depends on what you do, I suppose.

I've always found this publication to be interesting:

https://milmi.org/Portals/198/public...9/Region10.pdf

Wallethub studies are 100% fiction. They make up these lists to bait media and promote their dumb website.

https://hoboken411.com/archives/135304

Michigan is doing better than almost all it's peers right now and has more higher incomes moving in than leaving. I'm not so eager to buy into the brain drain alarmist rhetoric.

^^ I'm not so sure they are doing better than their peers either. Might not be as bad as it seems, but not the greatest either. If it was, people wouldn't be leaving.

I think "leaving the state" terminology is misleading. Michigan's problem is that it does not attract a meaningful amount of new residents to offset natural population decline. More than likely highly paid/educated people [[i.e. "best and brightest") in Michigan who are already employed are staying. But the state is not attracting much of anyone who does not have ties to the state.

Canadian immigration is at record levels while the U.S. has declined 3 straight years. Canada's immigration was 437,000 last year compared to 595,000 for the U.S., a country 10 times larger.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...7-growth-crown

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think "leaving the state" terminology is misleading. Michigan's problem is that it does not attract a meaningful amount of new residents to offset natural population decline. More than likely highly paid/educated people [[i.e. "best and brightest") in Michigan who are already employed are staying. But the state is not attracting much of anyone who does not have ties to the state.
    Worse, the jobs and pay aren't enough to attract people back who left, even if we're open to the idea.
    That, and there are related cultural issues to resolve.
    Last edited by bust; January-08-20 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    They're run out here in southern Nevada pretty regularly. Love them. Reminds me of home. Well, except for the ads that try to boost winter. That I can do without.
    Ha, what a shivering cold on a thick sheet of ice in a makeshift box while waiting for fish to bite isn't your idea of a good time?

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Worse, the jobs and pay aren't enough to attract people back who left, even if we're open to the idea.
    That, and there are related cultural issues to resolve.
    You need to post more.

I went back and looked at the thread you linked to, and that reinforces my view.

The biggest weakness of Detroit Yes is that the best posters too often cede space to the worst.

You're one of the best.

Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Ha, what a shivering cold on a thick sheet of ice in a makeshift box while waiting for fish to bite isn't your idea of a good time?
    Worse. Walking a beat on midnights in the alleys along Michigan between the John Lodge and 14th in January. Been there, done that. I'd much rather have been ice fishing.

This article is utter BS considering only the city property ignores Dearborn, Plymouth, Southfield, Troy, and other communities that are highly attractive to well qualified job seekers.

No doubt Detroit proper has a long way to go in order to become the unchallenged economic center of the region again, but we're going in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    This article is utter BS...
    Which article?

There were multiple posted in this thread.