Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Question for you watch enthusiast

Where can I find a large selection of watches in stock ?
    Everywhere I go to look at watches the selection is pretty slim and I want to actually try it on before I buy it.
    I'm looking for one decent mechanical watch for special occasions and a good watch for work.

There are 2 watch shops downtown:

Shinola: 1424 Woodward

Simmons & Clark Jewelers: 1535 Broadway

You can start there.

I'm wearing a cheap [[$35???) Timex that I bought 25 years ago, and except for a couple of battery changes, still keeps perfect time. I would never wear an expensive watch. Simply a target for muggers IMHO.

^^^ Ah, I adore watches [[withstanding the mobile phone time option so many use now) and find them at estate sales, eBay, pawn shops, and retailers like Target and stores such as Macy's.

I have cheapy to expensive looking, but most knockoffs which have greatly improved in appearance and workmanship. Women's watches are easier to find knock off and brand name I find, but if you know what you want watches of all kinds can be found.

I've had batteries replaced [[when I cannot replace them myself) at Eastside Watchbands 30835 John R Rd, Madison Heights, MI

Turn your palm over. The time is on your phone.

Hubby gave me a Shinola for our anniversary a year and half ago.
    Already needs a battery replacement. I have a Timex that's 30 years old and can't think of the last time I had to replace the battery. Also have a Pulsar that's about 20 years old. Only replaced the battery once. Anyway, if you go outside the city proper, Ahee Jewelers has a nice selection, although expensive. Try Maloof's in SCS.
    Last edited by Maof; January-02-20 at 08:57 AM.

I know. Those of us who 'persist' in watches must like them beyond their time telling factors. Hah!!

Further, once I get home I don't touch my germ-laden mobile phone much. I like clocks as well!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Turn your palm over. The time is on your phone.

I am one of those people whose body chemistry drains watch batteries extremely quickly. Yes, that is a thing. Cheaper watches last longer - i suspect because they don't use white metal which isn't as conductive as steel.

I generally wear automatic [[aka self winding mechanical) movements. Those watch kiosks at the malls used to have decent mechanical watches at a good price, but I haven't been in ages.

My hobby for a few years was buying cheap [[$10-20) Chinese watches
    online that looked really expensive or high tech. The same price as just the watchband at Target. Also the batteries, and watch repair tools.

My other hobby is watching
    Uber expensive Tourbillion/Automaton videos of watches that cost more than a new Rolls Royce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTck_Xbuyc

Last edited by Bigb23; January-02-20 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    There are 2 watch shops downtown:

Shinola: 1424 Woodward

Simmons & Clark Jewelers: 1535 Broadway

You can start there.
    I looked up Shinola watches on youtube the reviews are brutal

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'm wearing a cheap [[$35???) Timex that I bought 25 years ago, and except for a couple of battery changes, still keeps perfect time. I would never wear an expensive watch. Simply a target for muggers IMHO.
    Ray I may end up with an inexpensive watch like a Timex or Casio My problem is just finding a decent selection in stock with everyone shopping online the stores have a much smaller selection in house then they used to and I want to see it before I buy it.

Used to always be a decent selection at Sears but with all the store closures I’m not sure what they have now. I’d love this Richard Mille for $130,000 but its $129,500 out of my price range for good watches.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    Ray I may end up with an inexpensive watch like a Timex or Casio My problem is just finding a decent selection in stock with everyone shopping online the stores have a much smaller selection in house then they used to and I want to see it before I buy it.
    Here's my $.02 for what it's worth. I'm with Ray. I own both Timex and Casio. Both keep excellent time. [[way better than the Rolex I used to own) The Casio receives a signal from the atomic clock system. As long as I keep it exposed to light, low level light is fine, it's pretty brainless. It corrects itself, and adjusts itself for DST. It also has a boatload of features. Alarms, dual time zones, stopwatch, etc., that I seldom, if ever, use. I much prefer the simple Timex, though more of a hassle when it comes to DST changes, and the date window @ the end of every month. I just want to glance @ my wrist, to see the time, I don't want another toy to play with. Timex watches also have the "Indigo" feature, that I find very useful @ night and when I'm @ a movie or play. I've had both for years, and though both show signs of wear, both are very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Used to always be a decent selection at Sears but with all the store closures I’m not sure what they have now. I’d love this Richard Mille for $130,000 but its $129,500 out of my price range for good watches.
    I'll take this Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight Planetarium...at $203KName:  astronomical-watch-solar-system-midnight-planetarium-8.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  72.5 KB

Everywhere I go to look at watches the selection is pretty slim and I want to actually try it on before I buy it.
    I'm looking for one decent mechanical watch for special occasions and a good watch for work.
    To answer your question, the only legit one downtown is Simons
    & Clark, and to be honest, their selection is lacking.

If you desire a timepiece that is better than the crap Shinola is throwing out there, and better than basic retail [[Timex etc) or internet [[EBay, etc), your best bet is Darakjian in Birmingham or Metals in Time in R.O. I have heard nice things about Ahee in Grosse Pointe, but I have never been there personally so I can't vouch.

If you go to Darakjian, ask for Armen, and tell him Tom T sent you. Happy shopping :-).

I thought Metals in Time was closing shop or moving...
    They have a decent selection of high-cost watches, for moderately priced watches they have clunky GShock

Have you tried the FCA union office on Jefferson, don't they have an abundant surplus of watches?

Now that was a watch!

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    i'll take this van cleef & arpels midnight planetarium...at $203k