Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Hookah lounge

Default Hookah lounge

I see that there is a Hookah smoking place in thee Eastern Market area on the corner of Gratiot and Russell. I thought that a place like that could not be near a church. There are three churches near this place. One is directly behind it. One is directly across the street from it and one is down the block from it. Who allowed this place to open in that spot?

^^^ It's Marijuana interest businesses that have to be so many feet distance from K12 schools and churches, per city ordinance.

Not sure what goes on re. the Hookah spots?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-19 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I see that there is a Hookah smoking place in thee Eastern Market area on the corner of Gratiot and Russell. I thought that a place like that could not be near a church. There are three churches near this place. One is directly behind it. One is directly across the street from it and one is down the block from it. Who allowed this place to open in that spot?
    Relax....They're smoking caterpillar

^^^ The insects, or is this some brand of smokable?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ The insects, or is this some brand of smokable?

"Tell them a hookah...smoking caterpillar, has given you the call"

Sorry, probably before your time.

It's hookah, who cares?

^^^ It's Marijuana interest businesses that have to be so many feet distance from K12 schools and churches, per city ordinance.

Not sure what goes on re. the Hookah spots?
    They are like 7-11s down here,it is just smoking flavored tobacco.

They are the equivalent of a social club,middle eastern style,play cards etc.

They must be making money because they are in locations that garner $3000 to $5000 a month rent.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    It's hookah, who cares?
    Some do not understand what they are about,so they ask.

I did not know until I sold some equipment to a guy that owns a few of them and asked him.

I work in Dearborn and knew there were many there but not so much Detroit.

I saw quite a few in the ATL the last time I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They are like 7-11s down here, it is just smoking flavored tobacco.

They are the equivalent of a social club, middle eastern style, play cards etc....

Yea they are clicky,Turks hang out with Turks,etc.

I see the validity of the OP though because they also sell bottled beer here and that would not be allowed close to a school or church.

We were a refugee collection point so we also have a Dearborn style situation but it is a diverse group that seems to not like each other so everybody has thier own complete little recreation of thier past life.

In everything,stores,schools,places of worship,then the individual social clubs,hookah.

It does make it interesting if one likes to try different foods,10 blocks and you can sample different foods from any country in the Middle East all different.

It's something that has become quite popular with African-Americans in recent years. Last time I was in NYC, my old neighborhood in Queens [[the northern part of Astoria), which has a sizable Middle Eastern population and has long had a number of hookah places, was now also patronized by many fashionable groups of black people, mostly in their 20s, having a night out at the hookah bar.

^^^ Yeah, so I noticed. Several in Atlanta.

I quit smoking traditional tobacco ciggs last year so no need to get tied back up into nicotine and tar in some other form.

A couple years ago hookah places were popping up all over the place in the suburbs. It was definitely a trend to go to hookah bars for awhile but a lot of them have closed now. Same thing happened in Detroit, some opened all at once and they’re all closed now.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    A couple years ago hookah places were popping up all over the place in the suburbs. It was definitely a trend to go to hookah bars for awhile but a lot of them have closed now. Same thing happened in Detroit, some opened all at once and they’re all closed now.
    I thought that places like these could not be near a church. There is a church directly behind it. Who had allowed this place to open so close to two churches? Who received the payoff

I thought that places like these could not be near a church. There is a church directly behind it. Who had allowed this place to open so close to two churches? Who received the payoff
    I don't believe that's the case with a Hookah Lounge. Weed dispensaries, yes.

Others have already answered that question. Hookah has nothing to do with weed so they’re allowed to operate side by side with churches. Not everything is a conspiracy.