Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Milwaukee Junction Rising

It was nice see developmental stirrings in Milwaukee Junction this weekend. Most prominent is The Platform's "Chroma" conversion of the former cold-storage building at W. Grand Blvd and Beaubien aka by locals as the "Rainbow Vomit" building for the mural the adorns its west wall.

Name:  Milwaukee-Junction-1.jpg
Views: 5223
Size:  75.1 KB

Chroma is an existing nine-story building that will be transformed into a center for creativity, providing work space alongside cultural anchors of food, music, and exhibition. It serves the needs of creatives, offering co-workers a diverse community, makers with high-quality space, designers and artists with flexibility, aspiring chefs an opportunity to grow, and neighborhood residents with hands-on classes to develop craft skills and expand career choices.
    https://www.theplatform.city/chroma/
    Viewed from the northeast the once drab building promises to be flooded with light from the addition of dramatically large windows. Also the yellow brick building that overlaps it on the left is being developed as restaurant.

Name:  Milwaukee-Junction-2.jpg
Views: 5349
Size:  60.7 KB

Most intriguing for me is the seemingly possible restoration of the long-derelict townhouses along Beaubien south of Harper. I've long admired these half-timbered beauties. Does anyone know the story here? My first thought was demolition, but the fencing and apparent emptying out of the interiors give me hope of otherwise.

A long-abandoned apartment building with fresh board-up on St. Antoine just north of the Edsel Ford service drive is in progress for restoration according to worker at the site.

To the north a previous restoration on Harper stands dramatically framed by the famous Fisher 21 Plant.

As for Milwaukee Junction's most prominent structure, has anyone heard of any plans for Fisher 21's future?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It was nice see developmental stirrings in Milwaukee Junction this weekend. Most prominent is The Platform's "Chroma" conversion of the former cold-storage building at W. Grand Blvd and Beaubien aka by locals as the "Rainbow Vomit" building for the mural the adorns its west wall.

Name:  Milwaukee-Junction-1.jpg
Views: 5223
Size:  75.1 KB

Viewed from the northeast the once drab building promises to be flooded with light from the addition of dramatically large windows.

Name:  Milwaukee-Junction-2.jpg
Views: 5349
Size:  60.7 KB

Most intriguing for me is the seemingly possible restoration of the long-derelict townhouses along Beaubien south of Harper. I've long admired these half-timbered beauties. Does anyone know the story here? My first thought was demolition, but the fencing and apparent emptying out of the interiors give me hope of otherwise.

A long-abandoned apartment building with fresh board-up on St. Antoine just north of the Edsel Ford service drive is in progress for restoration according to worker at the site.

To the north a previous restoration on Harper stands dramatically framed by the famous Fisher 21 Plant.

As for Milwaukee Junction's most prominent structure, has anyone heard of any plans for Fisher 21's future?
    Some German guy was supposed to turn Fisher 21 into a techno club. Pretty sure that never happened.

About five years ago, a Berlin entrepreneur, Dimitri Hegerman, announced that he would like to turn Fisher Body #21 into a center for Detroit Techno music. I believe he considered turning some of the building into studios where artists could record their creation and, perhaps, a performance venue. Perhaps he also foresaw apartments or condos in the building. He made a great deal of money popularizing Detroit Techno in east Germany and in the Czech Republic. In several sites, he had apparently taken abandoned industrial buildings and converted them into centers for
    Detroit Techno. I presumed he wondered why that had not happened in Detroit. There was a story in the WSJ about his ambitious plans. I have
    not heard anything recently. Does anyone deep into the Detroit techno scene know what plans, if any, Dimitri Hegerman has for Fisher Body #21?

^ probably about the same plans as back then,none,it was reported at the time he never even contacted the property owner,just kinda made the announcement.

It would have never been allowed anyways,jobs first then dance.

I think you could find a permit if it was going to be demoed. Maybe ask preservation Detroit?

It could be abatement work but I don't think I've ever seen orange and black fencing used for that.
    Last edited by Metro25; December-29-19 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    About five years ago, a Berlin entrepreneur, Dimitri Hegerman, announced that he would like to turn Fisher Body #21 into a center for Detroit Techno music. I believe he considered turning some of the building into studios where artists could record their creation and, perhaps, a performance venue. Perhaps he also foresaw apartments or condos in the building. He made a great deal of money popularizing Detroit Techno in east Germany and in the Czech Republic. In several sites, he had apparently taken abandoned industrial buildings and converted them into centers for
    Detroit Techno. I presumed he wondered why that had not happened in Detroit. There was a story in the WSJ about his ambitious plans. I have
    not heard anything recently. Does anyone deep into the Detroit techno scene know what plans, if any, Dimitri Hegerman has for Fisher Body #21?
    Detroit can't support a mega club like Tresor. Berlin is a capital city with world-class infrastructure, thriving economy and a massive influx of people from all over the world. Detroit is still largely destitute and lacks a large population of young people possessing disposable incomes. I could see a mini-Tresor working, but then there are those pesky licensing laws to consider, which is why you don't really see Berlin-style clubs anywhere in the United States, it's simply too hard to make money if you have to shut down at 2 AM. Even in NYC, big clubs are run out of business as people would rather skip on high priced tickets, expensive drinks and stricter security than an airport. Many Zoomers would much rather Netflix and Chill and get up early for yoga lessons.

^ uhh no Berlin and Detroit aren't that different in size. Detroit area is also wealthier than Berlin and has a much higher per capita economic output so you're wrong there. We've all heard about the raves in the city that have been happening since forever, why on earth would make you think Detroit couldn't support a similar techno club?

You're right about infrastructure but that applies to every US region when compared to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    ^ uhh no Berlin and Detroit aren't that different in size. Detroit area is also wealthier......
    Population of Berlin is 5 times that of Detroit, & 2.5 times larger in physical size.

As to Detroit being wealthier.....nvm.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Population of Berlin is 5 times that of Detroit, & 2.5 times larger in physical size.

Metro Berlin has 6.1 million people. Detroit has about 5 million, with Windsor it's about 5.7 million. It's not very different.

The size of Detroit's economy is much bigger.

Detroit: 302,784

in billions of dollars compared to

Berlin:232,187
    Last edited by Metro25; January-06-20 at 11:47 PM.

I think there are big cultural differences between Detroit and Berlin, or at least that's the sense I got when I was there. Detroit just doesn't have a ton of people looking for 24 hour clubs, outside of Movement weekend. In Berlin, people travel from all over the world for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

I think I saw these townhouses listed for sale last year and possibly in a listing that required rehab, but I am not totally certain. I too have admired them in their faded glory and it would be wonderful to see them restored.

I did find this listing on Loopnet which is no longer active.
    https://www.loopnet.com/listing/456-...it-mi/8457352/
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; January-07-20 at 05:36 PM.

The Grand Trunk Western Railroad built a very large 10 story cold storage building along their tracks near the corner of East Ferry and St. Aubin. Is this too far removed to be included in a discussion of the revival of the
    Milwaukee Junction neighborhood? This cold storage building was last
    used about 2002 but it was purchased by Fernando Palazuelo about a
    year ago. Do you know what plans he has for this massive structure? Will he start on a remodeling before he finishes his remodeling of the Packard
    plant on East Grand?

Do we know the fate of those beautiful row-houses yet? Any update?

The area has great potential. I would live to see more lofts and a couple of farmers markets in or near the area

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post

Berlin is 5 times bigger? I'd like to insult you but I don't do that anymore. But are you saying more than 25 million people live in Berlin Metro? How does the city of Berlin compare in actual geographic size to Detroit? You know we physically have one of the smallest metros in the world, and if we were comparable to others we'd be almost 7 million [[Windsor, Toledo), right?

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Do we know the fate of those beautiful row-houses yet? Any update?
    I’ve been by a few times lately and I’m pretty positive they’re renovating them. I haven’t found confirmation yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Berlin is 5 times bigger? I'd like to insult you but I don't do that anymore. But are you saying more than 25 million people live in Berlin Metro? How does the city of Berlin compare in actual geographic size to Detroit? You know we physically have one of the smallest metros in the world, and if we were comparable to others we'd be almost 7 million [[Windsor, Toledo), right?
    You'd think a person clever enough to find a way to insult a person while claiming not to would be able to figure out that the post referred to the populations of the cities, not the entire metro areas.

Berlin: 3.7 million
    Detroit: .7 million

And just in case you don't feel like doing the math, that makes Berlin MORE than 5x bigger than Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    You'd think a person clever enough to find a way to insult a person while claiming not to would be able to figure out that the post referred to the populations of the cities, not the entire metro areas.

Berlin: 3.7 million
    Detroit: .7 million

And just in case you don't feel like doing the math, that makes Berlin MORE than 5x bigger than Detroit.
    You would think a person that would find a way to insult a person who apparently insulted another person would appreciate the rationale of the original argument, which was population within a certain square mileage. But appreciate your perceived intelligence and have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    You would think a person that would find a way to insult a person who apparently insulted another person would appreciate the rationale of the original argument, which was population within a certain square mileage. But appreciate your perceived intelligence and have a great day.
    Don't be butt hurt that I called you out for being rude. No one said anything about population within a certain square mileage, just that Berlin is larger and more populous than Detroit. And it is. But if you feel like metro area size/population is the more relevant metric to look at, maybe you could have suggested that in a friendlier way.