Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Need Wayne County Home Foreclosure Info

Greetings all,

I have a question regarding a January home foreclosure hearing for the Wayne County treasurer. This is regarding an uncle who owes back taxes on a house he hasn’t lived in for several years.

He did have an apartment in a senior living community and was told to sell his house when he moved there, but wouldn’t.

Earlier this year, due to ongoing health issues and mental state, he had to move to a nursing home for skilled care, which means he won’t be able to go to the hearing. He’s been told he’ll probably lose his house because he owes back taxes. He still wants somebody to check on his house, make sure the snow is shoveled, light is on, etc. We figure the power & water has been off for years due to non-payment.

My question is, if a homeowner doesn’t show up at the hearing to either pay in full or make arrangements, how soon would Wayne County take possession? What is their procedure?

According to the tax website, one year on my uncle’s house is subject to foreclosure, the other years are delinquent. I know the auctions are in September & October and my uncle’s house will probably be listed for bidding in 2020.

It’s very sad, because it’s a beautiful older home.

Please post any info you have.
    Thanks.

You need to go to the Wayne County Treasurer's office [[I believe they may still be in the same building as Fishbones/Greektown). They will tell you all the info you need to know, including how to make payment arrangements even beyond foreclosure, if that is what you wish to do.

I had a similar scenario in Macomb County... and found that Macomb County wants to work with people to keep their property, even when it involves arrangements beyond the court date.

SOMEBODY needs to act. You may be able to do so as his representative, or there may need to be an attorney. Contact the county to see what they need. Maybe he can give you or another relative Power of Attorney.

One way or another, the taxes will have to be paid.

Thanks for responding, but I apologize for neglecting to say in my post that family wasn’t trying to help him keep his home or pay the back taxes. We knew he owed back taxes, so it wasn’t a surprise, but it was up
    to him to take care of it. He didn’t want anybody meddling in his business.

If you re-read my post, I stated that my uncle needs skilled care where he’ll have to live in a nursing home permanently because of his health issues & mental state. He has a guardian now & their only concern is his well being, not any past due bills.

I only wanted to know the treasurer’s procedures if a person doesn’t come to the hearing, either to make arrangements or pay in full. How soon does the treasurer take over the property if the homeowner takes no action? Do they change the locks? Padlock the doors? This is something none of us have been through or know about.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ... I had a similar scenario in Macomb County... and found that Macomb County wants to work with people to keep their property, even when it involves arrangements beyond the court date.
    Macomb County is actually, currently reaching out through ads on WWJ News Radio 950 AM on this subject.

My best advice is to consult an elder law attorney. I think most people avoid attorneys because of their high fees but in real estate cases the stakes are high enough to justify the legal costs. They know legal "loopholes" that most people don't.

As far as I know, Wayne County [[in Detroit) does not do anything to secure properties that they foreclose on. Anyone legally changing the locks would be doing it after buying the property at the auction. Here's the timeline of foreclosure: https://www.waynecounty.com/elected/...-timeline.aspx

I do not believe the hearing is necessary to redeem the property by paying delinquent taxes in full, although the above link suggests there may be other resources available at the hearing. Here are some further resources: https://www.waynecounty.com/elected/...-property.aspx

Regarding the lights and water--
    Detroit Water & Sewer is in my experience not worth trying to deal with over the phone, but you can probably look up any owed amount by putting in the address at a DWSD payment kiosk, or by visiting the downtown offices. At the very least they should be able to tell you the date of last service.

DTE has in the past told me over the phone the date of last service at an address -- I called and asked, telling them I was considering purchasing the property and wanted to know when service was last on. DTE bills do not transfer with the property and are not a direct obstacle to selling the house.

You can look up Detroit blight tickets here: http://app.detroitmi.gov/dahonline/ -- unpaid blight tickets can hold up a sale via warranty deed.