Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Could the Obama Building Trigger Old Redford Renewal?

The 'Obama Building' came up just now on WTVS's 'One Detroit' show. An official of The Platform was being interviewed by Nolan Finley regarding the opening the The Boulevard apartments [2911 W Grand Blvd] and went on to the Platform's neighborhood projects.

Located on the NW corner of Grand River and Lahser it is set to be renewed as ground floor retail with four apartments above. I have long thought the long ago urban-sprawled early 1900's Old Redford node would make an attractive setting anchored by the Redford Theater and the Artists Village.

Looking at the architect's site, it appears the Redford Bowl is in play, another very cool setting if properly revived, that could be a Cadieux Cafe west of sorts.

Name:  Redford.png
Views: 1391
Size:  193.5 KB

Oh and the Platform's once-planned tower on the former Belle Isle Big Boy site? Hemming and hawing and an indefinite hold. And the name Obama Building derives from a painting of Obama over the door of the beat up structure.

I thought Old Redford was already getting major investments?

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    I thought Old Redford was already getting major investments?
    Lots of chatter but not a lot to show.

I never fully understood why this area died, other than the whole city did and the proximity to Brightmoor. It almost could have been a city unto itself, nearly self-sustaining.

Police, Fire, EMS, High School, entertainment, diverse retail, recreation .... it was all right there within walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Oh and the Platform's once-planned tower on the former Belle Isle Big Boy site? Hemming and hawing and an indefinite hold. And the name Obama Building derives from a painting of Obama over the door of the beat up structure.
    Not really a big surprise. There's been a fair amount of over-exuberance [[and over-pricing) around the Villages/E Jefferson/Belle Isle area. The momentum around here definitely seems to be slowing as folks are butting their heads against some pretty sobering limitations. The main one being that, outside of big IV homes and some E. Jefferson apartments, there just isn't enough housing pressure over here on the east side to fill all of the planned spaces and make them profitable.

You can see what's happening in the stalling out of this project and the big scaling back of the Meijer project further down Jefferson. We'll see what happens with those big plans that have been announced for the West Village on Kercheval and at Jefferson and Van Dyke.

Eventually I expect this area to boom again, given its potential, but right now it doesn't look like the numbers are there yet. It may take better local economic news to get them there.

A couple of years ago the Artists Village compound hosted one of the after parties during Movement. I had not been to that area in years, so it was nice to see that the area still has a bit of vibrancy. It would make a nice little urban hub, if the city decides to make it a development focal point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Lots of chatter but not a lot to show.
    A suburban-style Meijer store 4 blocks away is more than chatter. Granted, its not my idea of Jane Jacob's development.

Seems to me that the Meijer will do more long-term for that neighborhood than subsidized programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    A suburban-style Meijer store 4 blocks away is more than chatter. Granted, its not my idea of Jane Jacob's development.

Seems to me that the Meijer will do more long-term for that neighborhood than subsidized programs.
    The Meijers wasn't subsidized?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The Meijers wasn't subsidized?
    I don't know.

I can't speak for the newer Detroit Meijer stores but the first one
    located on Eight Mile was built with the assistance of Detroit
    City pension funds. [[Disclosure: I am vested with the City of
    Detroit General Retirement Fund.)

I miss the China Clipper restaurant now part of the chard ruins on the SW corner of G.R. and Lasher. And I trumpet the decades long activities at the Redford Theater [[one of my three movie theater haunts on G.R. along with the Norwest and the Great Lakes during my movie crazed youth.) I wouldn't mind seeing demolition of the buildings along G.R. directly south of the Redford, either. New apartments and retail, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    I miss the China Clipper restaurant now part of the chard ruins on the SW corner of G.R. and Lasher.
    Streetview dated 6-19 says:

Name:  GR_Lah_^19.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  90.0 KB

Sidenotes:

>> What is the old school at Bentler and Glenco? Any known plans for it? Always thought they'd make decent office spaces.

>> I don't remember the park area along 7 mile between Berg & Lahser, but that needs to be recovered.

Weird mix of houses at Margareta/Glenhurst/Greyfield. Some really nice and well maintained, others not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    I can't speak for the newer Detroit Meijer stores but the first one
    located on Eight Mile was built with the assistance of Detroit
    City pension funds. [[Disclosure: I am vested with the City of
    Detroit General Retirement Fund.)
    I would assume that this wasn't a 'subsidy', but an 'investment', since that's what pension funds do. So does anyone else have information on 'subsides'?

As to the pension fund investing in a Detroit neighborhood...

It seems to be that 'socially responsible' investing is popular, so its not surprising that GRF monies might be used to invest in Detroit's rebirth. Investing in/with Meijer makes it a pretty solid investment. But nonetheless, I wish the pension fund would invest in quality investments without regard to squishy social goals. Their job is to fund pensions, not change the world. So sure, go ahead and tell me how this investment is going to return millions to the GRS. Unless you think GRS has magic inside information, I'd leave speculation to others.

best of luck with this project especially the apartments. I wonder how much they might cost.