Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Russ Thomas & William Clay Ford

The Lions' latest embarrassing season has me revisiting the strange relationship between Russ Thomas and owner William Clay Ford. Thomas was GM and personnel director from 1967 to 1988, and in those 22 years the Lions had just 6 winning seasons and never won a playoff game. He was responsible for Joe Schmidt, the only real head coach the Lions have had in the last few decades [[as far as I'm concerned), leaving in frustration.

Why wasn't Thomas---who actually was an All-Pro tackle and team captain when he played for the Lions in the late '40s---fired? The theory has always been that Thomas helped Ford kick alcoholism and an addiction to pain-killers. Ford thus was loyal to the detriment of the franchise.

But I once heard from an old-time labor official---a local Democrat---that the reason for Ford's loyalty was more sinister. According to this old-timer, who has since passed, Thomas helped cover up an auto accident involving Ford in which another person was killed. It wasn't clear if the owner was driving [[drunk or otherwise) and exactly how he was involved.

The guy who told me this story wasn't a sports fan, and he didn't seem to have any particular vendetta against Ford or Thomas. And it was all second-hand, though he wasn't really a gossip-mongering type. In fact, we weren't even talking about sports when he offered the info. It was just along the lines of "Oh, by the way....."

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else out there has any theories, insights, or solid info re the Thomas-Ford relationship.

Personally, I'm more inclined to believe Thomas helped Ford beat some kind of addiction [[probably alcohol), and that Ford---a rich fellow who regarded the Lions more as a plaything than anything else---simply appreciated Big Russ's help and remained a steadfast friend despite constant public criticism of his job performance. It's what pals do, I guess. Even if generations of football fans in this town have to suffer for it.

Strange how these urban legends evolve. The story I heard is that Russ Thomas saved Bill Ford from drowning on a boat they were both on.

I also heard that the only restraint Bill Ford put on Russ Thomas in those days, was the Lions were not to lose money.

Drinking buddies for sure. My Father always told me that William Clay Ford was a great all-around athlete in his youth.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post

But I once heard from an old-time labor official---a local Democrat---
    What does him being a Democrat have to do with anything? Sheesh!

Never heard the saved-from-drowning story, but it probably makes more sense than the vehicular-manslaughter cover-up or whatever. [[How do you cover up something like that, though I guess anything's possible when your grand pappy was history's first billionaire.)

It's easier to imagine a half-loaded Ford falling off his yacht and Russ plucking him outta the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    What does him being a Democrat have to do with anything? Sheesh!
    Not a thing. Relax, you're reading too much into it. I'm just describing the guy as I remember him.

Okey dokey....

Default WCF = incompetence personified

I only heard the "saved from addiction" story, never the dui, boat stories.

Sad a generation of SE Mich has never known Lions to be anything but laughing stock. Sad thing is a lot of his contemporaries[[ Taubman, Penske, etc) could have done something with team but now they are too old.

Sports Illustrated did poll years ago of "worst owners in sports". Donald Sterling of racist Clippers fame was #1, you know who was #4.

When widow kicks the bucket, new owner may have to change whole uniform[[colors, WCF logo, etc). Similar to Tampa Bay when Glasers took over. Will be hard to flush this turd and memories of incompetence down the drain...

They didn't say it on TV, but I'm guessing FF was 60-70% Packers fans in finale. Sad...

"Never complain, never explain."