Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gang activity in Detroit

It seems gang-related crime in Detroit involves small neighborhood gangs, rather than the big 'franchises' such as the Crips, Bloods, MS-13 and the Latin Kings.

But, I wouldn't know a lot about it. The crime is real, however.

What accounts for the absence of those larger crime networks?

It is said that anyone attempting to break into 'OC' [[organized crime) in Detroit is in for a rough time. It's impenetrable, despite the fact that many Detroit gangs are so small that they have no turf [['jurisdiction' or authority) anywhere except the block they live on.

What gives? Who really controls things behind the scenes? I wouldn't know because I actively avoid being around those types of characters, but the lack of centralized power confuses me.

I just can't believe that it's all run by separate and distinct small groups of kids in baggy pants, with no major players acting as the glue that holds everything together.

Drugs, sadly, are Big Business and have been that way for decades. Why do the big franchises stay away from Detroit?

You really cannot place “OC” and neighborhood thug wannabes in the same category.

The city did a big crackdown on the “franchises” in 2017 so there is really no organization neighborhood wise.

There have been large arrests on the prostitution aspect of sex slaves etc.

But the ones that stay out of site and out of mind and leave the innocents out are not going to be targeted most likely.

But that is the cause and effect when you go after the real OC,it becomes unorganized and you get the thugs that live for the second with zero regard for anybody.

Real organized crime is predictable,un organized crime is un predictable and worse.

But you cannot really call the big drug players of the past “OC” if they were actually organized,they would have never been caught.

If the Detroit pd sent the message then they will not franchise but with being a border city you have Detroit PD,DEA,FBI,Border Patrol Which most likely makes to conducive to get organized at the street level.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    It seems gang-related crime in Detroit involves small neighborhood gangs, rather than the big 'franchises' such as the Crips, Bloods, MS-13 and the Latin Kings....
    Related, from a week ago:
    Feds: Over 60 Latin Kings members arrested along East Coast.
    "It's a big hit precisely because we are able to take out all of the leadership," said U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling of the five-year investigation by the FBI and the state Department of Correction dubbed "Operation Throne Down." "It will be extremely difficult for the gang to regroup in the region."

I once read that OC in Detroit was Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    ^ looks good on paper but they are like whak-a-moles,thier replacements will slither across the border and regroup after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I once read that OC in Detroit was Jewish
    What do you guys view as OC?

Not that it exists but the mafia would have been referred to OC,the rest would be just drug dealers and thugs claiming territory that they terrorize instead of protecting.

The purple gang was majority Jewish.
    Last edited by Richard; December-13-19 at 09:45 AM.

Why do the big franchises stay away from Detroit?

Fear of millennial retaliation?

^ apparently they embrace technology sense the dumb arses posted thier little neighborhood hit list in instagram.

It seems gang-related crime in Detroit involves small neighborhood gangs, rather than the big 'franchises' such as the Crips, Bloods, MS-13 and the Latin Kings.

But, I wouldn't know a lot about it. The crime is real, however.

What accounts for the absence of those larger crime networks?

It is said that anyone attempting to break into 'OC' [[organized crime) in Detroit is in for a rough time. It's impenetrable, despite the fact that many Detroit gangs are so small that they have no turf [['jurisdiction' or authority) anywhere except the block they live on.

What gives? Who really controls things behind the scenes? I wouldn't know because I actively avoid being around those types of characters, but the lack of centralized power confuses me.

I just can't believe that it's all run by separate and distinct small groups of kids in baggy pants, with no major players acting as the glue that holds everything together.

Drugs, sadly, are Big Business and have been that way for decades. Why do the big franchises stay away from Detroit?
    The gangs on Detroit today will not show their colors. But they can show their ink in their bodies and tag alleys and public bathrooms with their street code. They will come out to do their crimes of opportunity when they do their drug deals or have a beef with someone [[in a rival or snitching). The age of social media become not only their recruiting code tool for them. But also their defense against authority. Since this nation is under big brother through facial recognition cameras, a simple gas station robbery attempt will turn into an arrest caught red handed situation by chase into the next block. Follow beat the black man with the hoodie be means of police brutality.

The primary gangs in Detroit are going away are Crips and the Bloods. So far in the west side You have Joy Rd's, Dexter, 12th Street, Linwoods, Schoolcrafts, P-Rocks, Chi-Towns and many more. They all cliqued up to the Crips.

Then you have E.7 Mile Bloods, Mack Boys, E.Six Miles, E. Warrens and many more all affiliated with the Bloods.

Then you have the Marcus Garvey Black Panther Party but they spending their time supporting Mayor Mike Duggan or they can get goodies from Detroit City Government. And they Black Hebrew Israelites, some folks call themselves a gang but they had been hanging around Gilberttown Detroit cussing out white people.

In the Southwest Side. The Latin Counts are still there hiding but expanding to other Downriver Suburbs. They were about to take over Lincoln Park until the police force stop them cold!

Detroit gangs came a along way from the Purples to the Young Boys Inc. But when our city is getting better and once black and blighted ghetto hoods are turning white and millennial hoods. Gangs will find a way to get by.
    Last edited by Danny; December-14-19 at 11:14 AM.

There were and currently are small factions around Detroit. There were a group on W McNichols coining themselves “The Stamp Out Kings” I called them the Stamp out Punks for their main targets were elderly men whom came out of these convenience stores. These punks would jump the unsuspecting senior citizens sometimes robbing them of their money and other personal values. There is currently a gang on Gratiot Avenue assaulting elderly people at bus stops. I think that the police should put decoys at these stops and if these punks decide to sit upon one of these decoys they will be met with unleashed fury. I love looking at the Death Wish series. Had gotten a lot of ideas from them

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    ... their main targets were elderly men whom came out of these convenience stores....
    Reminds me of this video I happened to see earlier today:
    Grandfather Teaches Robber a Lesson He Won't Soon Forget

There is currently a gang on Gratiot Avenue assaulting elderly people at bus stops. I think that the police should put decoys at these stops and if these punks decide to sit upon one of these decoys they will be met with unleashed fury. I love looking at the Death Wish series. Had gotten a lot of ideas from them[/QUOTE]

We could call them S.T.R.E.S.S officers.

Ok, Let's clear a few things up about gangs and Detroit.

1. Detroit is NOT a 'gang' city. [[We don't have many large criminal organizations with different sets like Chicago or L.A. County. All of ours died off in the 80's when the crack epidemic hit.). We only have neighborhood cliques.

2. Detroit is a Homegrown clique city. [[Gangs from out of town under Folk or People nation may have small affiliations here but they have no strong hold areas. The average Blood or Crip member you may find in the city of Detroit have more than likely joined while incarcerated. Out of town gangs were never celebrated here. Even the so called "Bloods" in Detroit have no ties to L.A., only 7 Mile.

3. Neighborhood Cliques and crews. From Eastside to Westside, This is what Detroit has always consisted of; since the Pony Down Boys, YBI, Dexter Boys, Earl Flynn's, BK's in the 80's, to the Stomp Out Kings and 100 Deep Boys of the early 2010's. Gang banging in Detroit was never really a cool thing to do. Everybody posting here seem to be confusing large "organized gang banging" with what we have with Detroit's small "neighborhood crews".

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I think that the police should put decoys at these stops and if these punks decide to sit upon one of these decoys they will be met with unleashed fury.

Go Fish!

How did Detroit become a non-gang city? I feel like the crime here is always some random idiot doing something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    How did Detroit become a non-gang city? I feel like the crime here is always some random idiot doing something stupid.
    I do not have any specific stats. But from what I understand from friends in law enforcement is that purely random violent crime is actually quite low. That doesn't mean innocent people are not unknowing victims or caught up in something, but that compared to the national average, victims in Detroit are more likely to know their assailant. That's just my second hand word of mouth...

Right, by random I mean it's rarely ever organized crime stuff. Like it's always "dude get's into argument with cousin and shoots him..."

Not enough people nor money left in Detroit for any large syndicate to shakedown. When the city lost over 1.2 million people and nearly a trillion in net worth, there isn't much left to pick over...

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    Not enough people nor money left in Detroit for any large syndicate to shakedown. When the city lost over 1.2 million people and nearly a trillion in net worth, there isn't much left to pick over...
    lol you and your consistently absurd and unhinged hot takes.

If well over half a million people supposedly isn't enough to sell drugs to why aren't there big gangs in the suburbs?
    Last edited by Metro25; December-16-19 at 03:59 PM.

Metro Detroit is simply too small to matter much. The future is not Detroit including its suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    Metro Detroit is simply too small to matter much. The future is not Detroit including its suburbs.
    Not the future for gangs, that's very sad for us. Though I think we just might survive. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Ok, Let's clear a few things up about gangs and Detroit.

1. Detroit is NOT a 'gang' city. [[We don't have many large criminal organizations with different sets like Chicago or L.A. County. All of ours died off in the 80's when the crack epidemic hit.). We only have neighborhood cliques.

2. Detroit is a Homegrown clique city. [[Gangs from out of town under Folk or People nation may have small affiliations here but they have no strong hold areas. The average Blood or Crip member you may find in the city of Detroit have more than likely joined while incarcerated. Out of town gangs were never celebrated here. Even the so called "Bloods" in Detroit have no ties to L.A., only 7 Mile.

3. Neighborhood Cliques and crews. From Eastside to Westside, This is what Detroit has always consisted of; since the Pony Down Boys, YBI, Dexter Boys, Earl Flynn's, BK's in the 80's, to the Stomp Out Kings and 100 Deep Boys of the early 2010's. Gang banging in Detroit was never really a cool thing to do. Everybody posting here seem to be confusing large "organized gang banging" with what we have with Detroit's small "neighborhood crews".
    the splintering and decentralized nature of 'gang' activity in Detroit is why much of it never really goes away long-term. There's always going to be somebody [male] who comes up with a name based on whatever and that's the name that sticks. the mythology-building grows from there.