Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit 1940s HD

A nice collection of pictures, Detroit from the 1940s in HD
    that I think you may enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprb9yoqdLY

Lots of great photos in that video. I had never seen any photos showing a hotel advertisement sign on the roof of the Fox Theatre. Does anyone know what hotel it is in reference to? Screenshot below...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great selection of photos! Thanks so much for sharing that link......enjoyed greatly!

Where is the area photographed at 11:50 and 11:30?

Well that was depressing. Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Well that was depressing. Thanks for posting
    The photo's are great but, the music is depressing for sure.

Thanks for posting FEO. I think of my parents as this time frame would have been from young teens to adulthood for them.

11:30 is Hamilton Ontario, from Mountain Brow West Park
    https://goo.gl/maps/VnUqoRZMYkuhvVku8

11:15 is from the same general type of view but I can't pinpoint it in Google Maps.

11:40 and 11:50 are the High Level Bridge, also in Hamilton [[11:50 appears to be a mirror image, like a few others in the video). https://goo.gl/maps/EDNpM6fEDoQKhxmd9

5:45 is the original Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron/Sarnia.

6:25 is the Welland Canal Lock [[or one of the other locks near Niagra Falls).

I knew it was Hamilton! I got really confused for a second thinking that doesn't look like anywhere in Detroit. But then I thought maybe the railway was by an old filled in reservoir near rouge river.

Anyway most of these photos still look like the Detroit of today. It's still easily recognizable as Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Lots of great photos in that video. I had never seen any photos showing a hotel advertisement sign on the roof of the Fox Theatre. Does anyone know what hotel it is in reference to? Screenshot below...
    DetroitSoldier, I think that may be the back of the sign atop the old Hotel Wolverine. The sign faced South, and this photo appears to be looking Southeast from behind the Fox.

The photo at 11:03 appears to be reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    DetroitSoldier, I think that may be the back of the sign atop the old Hotel Wolverine. The sign faced South, and this photo appears to be looking Southeast from behind the Fox.
    That is what I assumed, but the perspective seemed wrong given the relatively low angle and that the Hotel Wolverine was only 17 stories. But yes, I am sure this is the case after examining the photo again.

That was a great slideshow, its amazing how different the city was back in those days. Can't believe that was 80 years ago, which is close to 100 years ago.
    I came across that follow video of Detroit from 1800 to 1920 while watching the one above. It shows the construction of the MCS along with Water Works Park, which was absolutely stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    That is what I assumed, but the perspective seemed wrong given the relatively low angle and that the Hotel Wolverine was only 17 stories. But yes, I am sure this is the case after examining the photo again.
    Forgot to add the link
    https://youtu.be/CCyzu5nSK6s

Geeze... whine about the music? Just a nostalgic look at a bygone era of the city... not entertainment...