Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default "Two Brothers" to be Imploded on Friday to Make Way for New Jeep Plant

One of the remaining icons of smokestack Detroit will vanish on Friday. DTE will implode the "Two Brothers" power plant on Detroit's east riverfront who will join their "Seven Sisters" who were detonated in 1996.

For those wanting to view I suggest trying Belle Isle just east of the Detroit Yacht Club or around the boat launch at the end of St. Jean.

Seven Sisters falling 1996 with Two Brothers looking on.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 9.07.29 AM.png
Views: 1054
Size:  231.1 KB

I remember when I was growing up and every time we headed down Jefferson toward Belle Isle/Downtown my dad would point out the "7 Sisters and their 2 Brothers" to me. RIP, boys.

.. a Jeep plant? Will there be clearing up of any contamination on those grounds?

Living at Alden Towers in the mid-1980s, I remember occasionally going out in the morning and finding a thin layer of soot on my car. Not sure of the actual source, but other people in the building blamed the coal burning Edison plant at Connors Creek.

It won't be an actual part of the Jeep Plant, it sounds like the area will be used for car storage. The 10 acres fronting the river will remain DTE property for future development.

The 'seven sisters' implosion seems to be in every group of demo flicks on YouTube. Still fascinating to watch, as is the Hudson's implosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    One of the remaining icons of smokestack Detroit will vanish on Friday. DTE will implode the "Two Brothers" power plant on Detroit's east riverfront who will join their "Seven Sisters" who were detonated in 1996.

For those wanting to view I suggest trying Belle Isle just east of the Detroit Yacht Club or around the boat launch at the end of St. Jean.

Seven Sisters falling 1996 with Two Brothers looking on.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 9.07.29 AM.png
Views: 1054
Size:  231.1 KB

Any idea what time this will be taking place?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    .. a Jeep plant? Will there be clearing up of any contamination on those grounds?
    Contaminated properties are categorized on level of contamination and intended use.

You can reuse a low level contaminated industrial site for industrial but you would not be able to reuse it as a school or housing site.

Case in point,Packard plant has levels of contamination that are considered acceptable for industrial and warehouse etc. but you would never be able to put residential in without spending a lot of abatement monies.
    Last edited by Richard; December-12-19 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Any idea what time this will be taking place?
    Planned for 9 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Planned for 9 a.m.

Thank You.

I work on that side of Detroit - Jefferson/ Chalmers area! We just heard/ felt it! It was absolutely WILD! Very loud, multiple concussive sounds, then lots of helicopters flying over.

It must have really been intense and scary for folks along the canals and waterfronts on up thru the Points!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-13-19 at 10:23 AM.

I felt it very clearly in East English Village. My neighbor was unaware that this would be happening, and texted me asking if I felt the earthquake.

The two bro's were already down this morning. Someone there told me they had been taken down earlier this week by non-implosive methods. The implosion was for the balance of the building that was still standing. Though still cool, it was no J.L. Hudson or Seven Sisters.

Yeah seven sisters was something! I recall it in 96 - felt it all the way to Mid Town area!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I felt it very clearly in East English Village. My neighbor was unaware that this would be happening, and texted me asking if I felt the earthquake.
    Felt it in EEV too. Scared me for a second until I realized .

Anybody remember Great Lakes Sugar? [[I'm guessing 'not'.)