Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit police probe yields allegations of widespread corruption in drug unit

"Detroit — Four months after Detroit police internal affairs officers raided their own department’s narcotics unit, investigators have uncovered alleged corruption that includes drug cops planting evidence, lying to prosecutors in search warrant affidavits, robbing dope dealers and embezzling funds, police officials said.

"Since the Aug. 22 raid, in which dozens of files and 50 computers were seized and analyzed, Chief James Craig has reassigned everyone in the unit with five or more years’ experience.

"I'm extremely concerned there may be a pattern and practice of criminal misconduct in the narcotics unit," Craig said. "Sadly, as we continue our probe, we think it’s going to grow in terms of magnitude."

"The corruption is possibly so extensive that Chris Graveline, director of the department’s Professional Standards Section and head of the ongoing investigation, set up a hotline this week, urging anyone with knowledge of misconduct by drug officers to call [[313) 596-3190."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...it/4398321002/

They could always find work with the FBI and fit right in.

The lying on search warrant affidavits seems to be an acceptable practice as of late to some.

Its all that cash but it has been happening everywhere,planting evidence to eliminate competition etc.

The main thing is it was discovered and accountability will happen,the bad part is it groups the entire law enforcement community into the fray because of some bad apples.

The police raided themselves, and the FBI plant 'evidence' on their drug dealing competitors... ?!?

Haven’t we heard the old “allocations of police corruption” story before:

May 1, 2015, the Baltimore City State's Attorney, Marilyn Mosby, announced her office had filed charges against six police officers after the medical examiner's report ruled Gray's death a homicide.

January 2017, a federal judge allowed a lawsuit by five of the six police officers unsuccessfully charged by Marilyn Mosby. Marilyn Mosby was being sued for malicious prosecution, defamation, and invasion of privacy.

September 12, 2017, the U.S. Department of Justice announced it would not bring federal charges against the six Baltimore police officers involved in the arrest and in-custody death of Freddie Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The main thing is it was discovered and accountability will happen,the bad part is it groups the entire law enforcement community into the fray because of some bad apples.
    It remains highly unacceptable, of course. There's a reason there are 'Internal Affairs' departments. Police have more power than citizens, as they must. So they have to be held accountable.

Not surprised to find some corruption. 'Widespread' is a strong word, however. But no surprise that either there are individual bad apples, or even an organized effort by drug 'lords' to infiltrate DPD. That's to be expected.

The important question is... was the corruption found and dealt with promptly and professionally?

Another serious sign of DPD making zero progress. Craig has been here since 2013 and it takes a swapped drug haul from Detroit to a Chicago Court this year to prompt this? Officers planting evidence on dealers. Officers pocketing cash meant to pay informants.
    Everyone is reassigned? There had better be some charges or penalties for wrongdoing. We don't need scoundrels being shifted to another part of DPD.

Jobs, education, and safety are the keys to this city's future. Six years later and Chief Craig hasn't done it. Here's another sign of it.

Must be a tough job for him,want him to be pro active then outrage because of the methods,want him to be re active then there is outrage over the methods.

I guess it would be up to the individual weather they feel the city is a safer place today then it was 5-6 years ago,until you get the good people out numbering the bad people it is going to be tough.

Proably just as tough policing a community where you get no support and every time you sneeze somebody wants to file a lawsuit.

No consolidation But a lot of the stuff is pretty commonplace in any urban setting no matter where you go.

It could be worse,Baltimore’s last 3 mayors have been ousted for corruption and thier drug task force dis banded for the same reasons.

You guys have to be doing better,it did not take you three corrupt mayors in a row to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Another serious sign of DPD making zero progress. Craig has been here since 2013 and it takes a swapped drug haul from Detroit to a Chicago Court this year to prompt this? Officers planting evidence on dealers. Officers pocketing cash meant to pay informants.
    Everyone is reassigned? There had better be some charges or penalties for wrongdoing. We don't need scoundrels being shifted to another part of DPD.

Jobs, education, and safety are the keys to this city's future. Six years later and Chief Craig hasn't done it. Here's another sign of it.
    Jobs and education not his job. Safety is.

Its a good sign that we are seeing progress on eliminating bad guys on the force. Its not a bad sign.

The question is whether Craig is improving DPD's efforts to make Detroit safe, or not.

Eliminating bad actors inside and out are both an important part of police work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    It remains highly unacceptable, of course. There's a reason there are 'Internal Affairs' departments. Police have more power than citizens, as they must. So they have to be held accountable.

Not surprised to find some corruption. 'Widespread' is a strong word, however. But no surprise that either there are individual bad apples, or even an organized effort by drug 'lords' to infiltrate DPD. That's to be expected.

The important question is... was the corruption found and dealt with promptly and professionally?
    I agree that “widespread” is a strong word to use. However, when you add together the police who are dirty along with the police who knew about it, and said / did nothing, then maybe the word is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Must be a tough job for him,want him to be pro active then outrage because of the methods,want him to be re active then there is outrage over the methods.

I guess it would be up to the individual weather they feel the city is a safer place today then it was 5-6 years ago,until you get the good people out numbering the bad people it is going to be tough.

Proably just as tough policing a community where you get no support and every time you sneeze somebody wants to file a lawsuit.

No consolidation But a lot of the stuff is pretty commonplace in any urban setting no matter where you go.

It could be worse,Baltimore’s last 3 mayors have been ousted for corruption and thier drug task force dis banded for the same reasons.

You guys have to be doing better,it did not take you three corrupt mayors in a row to figure it out.
    Oh hardest job in the world, but I just don't see the progress there. I don't see the morale change that needs to be there. I still see the casual demeanor of most Officers versus Wayne State Police who look like they're trying to figure out if you're a criminal. Also, I've gotten to know my precinct and they're always switching people around, from the Commander to the beat officer.

Did not know that about Baltimore. We have a long way to go.

Folks, who operate in Detroit beyond downtown and Midtown, do you feel safer or more protected?

I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I agree that “widespread” is a strong word to use. However, when you add together the police who are dirty along with the police who knew about it, and said / did nothing, then maybe the word is valid.
    Its also a pop-media word. They insert it in any headline to make it seem BIGGER. Can probably be ignored, unless the story provides facts, which they usually do not.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; December-22-19 at 02:10 AM. Reason: less rhetoric, more widespread filling

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Folks, who operate in Detroit beyond downtown and Midtown, do you feel safer or more protected?

I don't.
    I've always felt like Detroit is dangerous everywhere. Downtown is just as dangerous as the rest of the city, it's just a higher police presence and 24-hour surveillance.

I've learned that if you mind your business, use common sense, and stay alert, you can avoid danger in any part of the city.