Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Uranium-contaminated site collapses into Detroit River

"Due to the timing of the collapse, the spill went unnoticed to many responsible state and federal environmental regulatory agencies. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency officials were not aware of the collapse until contacted by the Windsor Star on Wednesday."

And people think the Line 5 tunnel is a good idea...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2019/12/05/detroit-bulk-storage-revere-copper-detroit-river-uranium/2618868001/

Some folks on the Internet say the site belongs to Matty Moroun. Can anyone confirm this?

This sounds like pretty scary news.

So when do we hear a politician et al at a mike declaring the usual bromide: "We know that you are concerned but we have no reason to believe there is any public risk...".

Yah-dah.

Someone in the freep comment section may have summed it up pretty well: "Cancers coming..."

Enough to mess up some Sundays and take ones mind off the impeachment for a minute or two!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    ...This sounds like pretty scary news.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-05-19 at 09:08 PM.

The property was used in the 1940s as a contractor site for the Manhattan Project which helped build an atomic bomb. Uranium rods were rolled or constructed on the property in the 1950s as well, leading environmental experts to worry about possible radiation contamination on the property. The plant on the property was closed in 1984 and the plant was eventually torn down in 1989. However a study conducted in 1980 ruled there was very little risk of radiation exposure on the site.
    https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/12/p...oit-river.html

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Some folks on the Internet say the site belongs to Matty Moroun. Can anyone confirm this?

This sounds like pretty scary news.

According to the plat maps I have it looks like it's owned [[Or until recently was) by Waterfront Terminal Holdings II LLC. They have a tax address in Clare, Michigan and that Clare property is/was owned by a William & Coloma Warner. William Warner has passed away, but his son [[Harry C. Warner) now controls Warner Petroleum Corporation [[Listed as a waterfront petroleum terminal company) which is based in Detroit. It's probably safe to assume that he is the actual owner or in control of the site.

It appears as if they purchased it from the City of Detroit around 2015 and there were some legal issues with the sale brought up in relation to Detroit's bankruptcy. Mayor Duggan's nemesis Robert Carmack was connected to a company that had put an unsuccessful offer on the property as well prior to the 2015 sale.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; December-05-19 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks Johnnny5, I appreciate the in-depth research there!

Pitiful! Now we are using our Great Lakes for our sewers! And we are drinking from it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    "Due to the timing of the collapse, the spill went unnoticed to many responsible state and federal environmental regulatory agencies. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency officials were not aware of the collapse until contacted by the Windsor Star on Wednesday."

And people think the Line 5 tunnel is a good idea...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2019/12/05/detroit-bulk-storage-revere-copper-detroit-river-uranium/2618868001/

Debunked the following day in the Windsor Star. No radiation found in soil.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...r-gravel-spill

No radiation found in soil at Detroit River site of collapsed shoreline

Dave Battagello, Windsor Star
    Updated: December 6, 2019

Soil tests conducted Friday by Michigan environmental regulators at the site of the former Revere Copper property where a shoreline collapsed into the Detroit River showed no radiation concerns, despite the property’s manufacturing history involving uranium.

The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy [[EGLE) measured roughly 1,000 data points on the property. The results showed radiation levels below naturally occurring radiation levels, which are typically between five and eight microroentgen per hour [[Ur/hr), the agency said.

“This affirms to us the level of radiation from the legacy site backs up what was found [[previously) — that no radiological material has been swept into the river as part of this incident,” said Nick Assendelft, spokesman for EGLE.

“A number of locations were measured as [[EGLE officials) walked the property. They even stuck the Geiger counter and collected soil in the crevices where the soil is washing into the river, so the results cannot be disputed in any way.”

I read somewhere that it was more of a concern that the sediment on the river bottom was disturbed than the slag that fell into the river. More chance of nasties on the bottom.

Sad part is can you even trust the agency’s results? We can’t create mass hysteria. But if I were you don’t drink the water sourced south of there. I Could just imagine that being said.

^^^ Hopefully we're not getting variants of "...we have no reason to believe there's any public risk...".

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Hopefully we're not getting variants of "...we have no reason to believe there's any public risk...".
    That's what it sounds like to me.

Colorado was a hot spot for mining Uranium back at the turn of the 20th century and then the bottom fell out of the market. To get rid of the stuff, the powers that be mixed it with asphalt and paved some roads with it. Legend has it that the streets and parking lots in some areas back in the 60/70's had a faint glow at night. There is still some of that pavement out there and it is so blended with the asphalt they decided to just leave it rather than stir it up. The big Denver superfund site now contains a Home Depot, a public swimming pool and a 224 unit apartment building among other things. There are at least 8 superfund sites in the greater Denver area that are now back in public use..

From the uranium to the hexavalent chromium that's leaking into I-94 and of course going into the storm drains connected to the Detroit River, I'm not so comfortable with the water quality and whatever is caught and sold from the river.

It's actually 696 and Cousens in Madison Hts/Hazel Park. The contaminated electroplating company is at the top of the slope there
    Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    From the uranium to the hexavalent chromium that's leaking into I-94 and of course going into the storm drains connected to the Detroit River, I'm not so comfortable with the water quality and whatever is caught and sold from the river.

The pictures inside that facility are frightening. Just think how many other places there are like that, and their consequences. There aren't adequate safeguards. Yet some complain they are already too much of a burden.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The pictures inside that facility are frightening. Just think how many other places there are like that, and their consequences. There aren't adequate safeguards. Yet some complain they are already too much of a burden.
    It sounds like the DEQ already knew about the issues and fined the owner. He went to jail because of it a few years ago. Did they do any followup or cleanup? What other regulations would have prevented this? What he was doing was already illegal.

Gary Sayers....The A-hole starts his sentence in January, one year and one day. For two decades the MDEQ sent violations. I don't get it. Why didn't they just shut the business down years ago?!.....https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...C5SMlOCOT15BNw

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Gary Sayers....The A-hole starts his sentence in January, one year and one day. For two decades the MDEQ sent violations. I don't get it. Why didn't they just shut the business down years ago?!.....https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...C5SMlOCOT15BNw

IMO this man should have received a life sentence, and if it was really up to me he'd be stuffed in one of his own barrels!

This POS actually dug a 10ft dirt bottom pit on this property and poured toxic chemicals in it to dispose of them. And when those chemicals were no longer liquid enough to soak into the ground, he had someone scoop them out and dump them down the storm drains. All that toxic sludge eventually finds its way into the Detroit River!

The tiny bit of sympathy I do have for him is that he is right about the unfair burden that has been placed on U.S metal plating companies. There's no way they can compete with those in China and elsewhere where environmental and safety laws are either non-existent or unenforced. Import laws should be changed and enforced so that U.S companies can be environmentally sound and still financially viable.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; December-26-19 at 05:38 PM.