Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eminem tribute to Detroit

This was Eminem's tribute to Detroit during the Final Four pregame show on CBS the other night. Deminski and Doyle posted it on the WCSX website.
    http://dd.wcsx.com/?p=2126

diver1369 Guest

How do outer ring suburban residents become spokespersons for the City? As soon as he could afford it, Eminem got clear of the City. And stop those minor key elegies. We ain't dead yet.

I never thought of Warren as an outer ring suburb. I thought it was more inner ring, like Dearborn or Redford.
    I think of places like Westland or West Bloomfield as outer ring.

Eminmen does not live in Warren. He lives in Macomb Twp.

He grew up in Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    Who gives a rats ass??? If he is advocating for the city and the region, great, better than some of the other shit we hear from people NOT from detroit

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    Actually, I thought he lived in Oakland Twp, which is even further away!

Geeze... I was wondering how long it would take for some noob to start the suburban bashing on the new forum [[owned and operated by a suburbanite!).

Eminem grew up in Warren and St. Clair Shores [[ironically on Robeson St.... the street in northern St. Clair Shores that was populated predominantly by African-Americans).

Later when he became famous he moved to a gated community in Clinton Township. And today he lives in Oakland County on the estate of the former Kmart CEO [[who ran it into bankrupcy).

diver1369 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I never thought of Warren as an outer ring suburb. I thought it was more inner ring, like Dearborn or Redford.
    I think of places like Westland or West Bloomfield as outer ring.
    I lived in Detroit 54 years until 2006. That being said, I'm not setting myself up as a spokesperson for the City like Eminem does. He doesn't come into the City unless he has security with him. What does that say? I don't question his Detroit credentials. It's just that once he's moved that far out of the City, he's rapping about a memory, not a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    How do outer ring suburban residents become spokespersons for the City? As soon as he could afford it, Eminem got clear of the City.
    This is how people like Barbara Rose-Collins and Martha Reeves get elected, in case anybody was wondering.

diver1369 Guest

I don't agree. BRC and Reeves get elected based on name recognition.

Name recognition, and playing up the divisiveness that is so prevalent in this area.

diver1369 Guest

That's only been a recent development because of their position on the Cobo deal. It's not true for the last election.

That's only been a recent development because of their position on the Cobo deal. It's not true for the last election.
    You have got to be kidding me.

Remember BRC wanting to withhold federal funds for charities if the majority of their board of directors don't live in the city limits? [[which is most charities in Detroit).

what I don't get, is a celebrity who is trying to do something that shows the plight of the city...and people rag on him...

I guess you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Makes you wonder why any big name that has any connection to the city even gives a damn..

diver1369 Guest

That was after the last election in 2005, I believe.

When is the last time you heard of Eminem doing a benefit performance for a Detroit-related cause?

That was after the last election in 2005, I believe.

When is the last time you heard of Eminem doing a benefit performance for a Detroit-related cause?
    The Marshall Mathers Foundation helps disadvantaged youth Michigan. It has made donations to food banks and youth groups and participates in fundraisers with organisations such as Eight Mile Boulevard Association.

Gees! You know “WE” really need to get over this! The whole Southeastern region of Michigan is at a very critical point in “OUR” existence. “WE” need to change “OUR” paradigm if “WE” are going to be a viable place to live and work in the future. If GM goes down, how does that effect Ford? If Detroit, goes down what will be the impact on Bloomfield Hills? If this area cannot get over the past and unite in this time of crisis “WE” are “ALL” doomed.

This site is funny. Normally a cat like Eminem would be seen as a worthless thug, but he shouted out Detroit at the Final Four pregame show and now he's a hero. I wonder what other Detroit celebrity would be worshipped for pulling out a gun on rival rappers or for making songs about butchering up his wife or hanging out with a cat like Proof who got in a shoot out at a club on Eight Mile. I see a lot of Detroit celebrities get shitted all over on this site but Eminem gets tattoo'd on people's arms on this site.

Unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by rajdet View Post
    If Detroit, goes down what will be the impact on Bloomfield Hills?
    According to the residents of Bloomfield Hills, absolutely none. They don't need us, we're just an albatross around their necks.

I could care less about Eminem. I just think its sad that somebody's opinion of him is colored by what side of an imaginary line he grew up on.

Crumbled pavement if Bloomfild Hills really believes that they dont need the City of Detroit then I will be photographing the ruins there in the not too distant future.

I doubt the less than 4,000 people who live in Bloomfield Hills, and what they do or do not think, are the biggest problem on the docket right now.

They say we live in a global economy, but here we can't even get along from city to suburb.

About the forum being "owned and operated by a suburbanite": Lowell is, I believe, a Highland Parker. I don't really consider Highland Park or Hamtramck as suburbs, since they form geographic donut holes inside the Detroit city limits. I call them "inurbs", which probably isn't a word, but there ought to be a different word than "suburb" for such an instance, which happens frequently enough.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Who gives a rats ass??? If he is advocating for the city and the region, great, better than some of the other shit we hear from people NOT from detroit
    Exactly. The guy is trying to promote Detroit and people just wanna pick and find fault with the dude. It's not like there are a bunch of other celebrities promoting the city.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast