Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Berry Gordy turns 90

"Happy Birthday to you....Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday.."

Former founder of Motown Records Berry Gordy turns 90 years old. I want to say thank you from bring the musical magic to the motor city. You are the true wizard of music that put Detroit on the map.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...qXpM489_HoCxIc

From the family flat of W. Grand Blvd. to Hollywood stardom. Motown still is the fantastic magic music machine and turn kids with signing talents from the ghettos into instant stars from Jackie Wilson to Jackson Five [[With Michael Jackson). Thank you Gordy, you are the greatest composer on Earth.

Showtime recently aired Hitsville: The Making of Motown which I highly recommend if it becomes available in other outlets.

What I found remarkable was the energy Berry Gordy still has as he laughs, jokes and reminisces with Smoky Robinson throughout the documentary that includes fabulous clips from Motown's storied history.

Happy birthday Berry.

Happy birthday Berry!

The question was asked had the Beatles used Motown/Tamla as their record label instead of VeeJay when they were looking for a label in America in 1963 would they had been as successful under Barry Gordy. I would say no. Gordy, as a musical managing genius that he was he would had destroyed the Beatles buy controlling their writings and creative ideas. He mostly favored one lead singer at all times and the rest of the group are just backups such as he had done with the Supremes

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The question was asked had the Beatles used Motown/Tamla as their record label instead of VeeJay when they were looking for a label in America in 1963 would they had been as successful under Barry Gordy. I would say no. Gordy, as a musical managing genius that he was he would had destroyed the Beatles buy controlling their writings and creative ideas. He mostly favored one lead singer at all times and the rest of the group are just backups such as he had done with the Supremes
    Who asked the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Who asked the question?
    It was a question floated on another blog site. It was discovered that the Beatles singles were distributed by Veejay. an African American owned record label, at that time. This was before they had really blew up in America in very late 1963 resulting in Capital records picking them up

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    HAH Berry would have gotten the Beatles in 1963, He will be in Hollywood in no time. The Beatles will making over 15 number one hits every year until 1976. By the 1980s. The Beatles will still never break up but be on hiatus and be back in 1992 still making hit songs and still continue to be on world tours. They will be like the Temptations.

Brian Epstein never would have approved of that. Glad things happened the way they did.

Gordy would had a heavy hand on the Beatles and they would not had been as popular

Happy Birthday Mr. Gordy!