Autum Colors
AUTUMN COLORS ABLAZE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Results 1 to 15 of 15

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default new or renovated hotels in the D

    my wife and i like to visit downtown every now and again and we've tried to stay at renovated properties, but i know theres a few i dont remember, that weve not been to.

    weve stayed at the Fort Shelby (Doubletree?), Book Cadillac (Westin) and the Holiday Inn Express (i stayed there in 85 enroute to the Air Force when it was the flea bag contract hotel Mariner)

    i can only think of one other hotel or maybe its just a restaurant, which was a firehouse down near Cobo Hall (i think)...

    can someone come up a list of hotels and restaurants that have been renovated or created new? not all of the hotel reservation sites have the best lists

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    my wife and i like to visit downtown every now and again and we've tried to stay at renovated properties, but i know theres a few i dont remember, that weve not been to.

    weve stayed at the Fort Shelby (Doubletree?), Book Cadillac (Westin) and the Holiday Inn Express (i stayed there in 85 enroute to the Air Force when it was the flea bag contract hotel Mariner)

    i can only think of one other hotel or maybe its just a restaurant, which was a firehouse down near Cobo Hall (i think)...

    can someone come up a list of hotels and restaurants that have been renovated or created new? not all of the hotel reservation sites have the best lists
    Within the downtown CBD (freeway/river loop), the only hotels that have been operating continually for more than 20 consecutive years are:
    1- RenCen Marriott (formerly a Westin
    2- Millender Center Courtyard by Marriott
    3- Holiday Inn Express (formerly HowardJohnson)
    4- Athenium Suites hotel by Greektown

    5- The Crown Plaza (Ponch) by TCF Center had been on-again, off-again in operation, and was a Sheraton at one point.

    New build hotels include:
    6- Hilton Garden Inn near Harmonie Park
    7- MGM Grand Casino Hotel
    8- Greektown Casino Hotel

    Hotels that opened in previously shuttered buildings include:
    9- Book Cadillac Westin
    10- Fort Shelby Doubletree
    11- Aloft in David Whitney Bldg
    12- Siren Hotel in Wurlitzer Bldg
    13- Shinola Hotel on Woodward (partial new build)
    14- Element Hotel in Metropolitan Bldg
    15- Foundation Hotel near TCF Center

    I believe the Leland, Ashley, and Park Ave hotels are no longer available for room rentals. Apologies if I missed any. This list obviously doesn’t include Corktown, Midtown, etc.
    Last edited by Atticus; November-29-19 at 01:19 PM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    ...
    Hotels that opened in previously shuttered buildings include:
    9- Book Cadillac Westin
    10- Fort Shelby Doubletree
    11- Aloft in David Whitney Bldg
    12- Siren Hotel in Wurlitzer Bldg
    13- Shinola Hotel on Woodward (partial new build)
    14- Element Hotel in Metropolitan Bldg
    15- Foundation Hotel near TCF Center ...
    weve stayed at the first two (#9 and #10) but the rest of these are what i was looking for. after i posted i remembered the Shinola and i couldnt think of the name of the Metropolitan building, so thank you very much!

  4. #4

    Default

    Also Motor City Casino Hotel: 400 rooms.

    What happens when you add thousands of hotel rooms to the region without adding thousands of reasons for people to travel here and stay in hotels?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandon48202 View Post
    Also Motor City Casino Hotel: 400 rooms.

    What happens when you add thousands of hotel rooms to the region without adding thousands of reasons for people to travel here and stay in hotels?
    No reason to stay? What other city boasts 4 last place big league teams all within walking distance?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandon48202 View Post
    Also Motor City Casino Hotel: 400 rooms.

    What happens when you add thousands of hotel rooms to the region without adding thousands of reasons for people to travel here and stay in hotels?
    If you look at the prices the downtown hotels are currently charging, or look at their occupancy rates, it is easy to see that currently hotel demand exceeds supply. This is no surprise when Detroit has far less hotel rooms compared to neighboring metro area half it’s size (Cleveland, Indianapolis, etc.).

    Random historical notes that many of you may have known:
    -The Courtyard in Millender Center was previously a Doubletree and originally opened as an Omni brand in the 1980s.
    -The Holiday Inn Express used to be a Days Inn with an Arbys for the restaurant, back during the Washington Blvd trolley-time days.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandon48202 View Post
    Also Motor City Casino Hotel: 400 rooms.

    What happens when you add thousands of hotel rooms to the region without adding thousands of reasons for people to travel here and stay in hotels?
    Thousands of reasons? Really?
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; December-03-19 at 07:27 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Sonder Detroit just opened in the Lawyers Building. It's an extended stay style hotel so you have to stay more than one night.

    https://www.sonder.com/destinations/detroit/

  9. #9

    Default

    Add in
    Trumbull and Porter in Corktown previously shuttered motel

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    i can only think of one other hotel or maybe its just a restaurant, which was a firehouse down near Cobo Hall (i think)...
    The Foundation Hotel

  11. #11

    Default

    The Detroit Club at Cass & Fort operates an overpriced 10 room hotel also.

  12. #12

    Default

    FWIW the Holiday Inn Express is under renovation yet again into a Hotel Indigo so it might be worth staying at again once renovations are complete.

  13. #13

    Default

    The Cochrane House Luxury Historic Inn Detroit
    The El Moore
    Mint House

  14. #14

    Default

    As a former Detroiter who tries to get back home once or twice a year, we've tried several. High on the list for us would be the Aloft, the Shinola and the Element. Didn't care for the Siren.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    The Cochrane House Luxury Historic Inn Detroit
    The El Moore
    Mint House
    Yes, the El Moore is excellent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.