Autum Colors
AUTUMN COLORS ABLAZE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Old building usage?

    I'm trying to find out what a building was used for in the 1930's.

    The building my father grew up in, still exists. They lived over a commercial store. I'm trying to determine if it was my grandfathers barber shop.

    Any ideas where to start is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default

    Address?

  3. #3

    Default

    12041 dexter, detroit.
    It's Dexter Grinds coffee shop now.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    I'm trying to find out what a building was used for in the 1930's.

    The building my father grew up in, still exists. They lived over a commercial store. I'm trying to determine if it was my grandfathers barber shop.

    Any ideas where to start is greatly appreciated.
    Right next to a Jewish Synagogues of Gemiuth Chassodim and down the street from Tishyah United Hebrew School and next to Nusach Hari.


  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    I'm trying to find out what a building was used for in the 1930's.

    The building my father grew up in, still exists. They lived over a commercial store. I'm trying to determine if it was my grandfathers barber shop.

    Any ideas where to start is greatly appreciated.
    grandfather's name?

  6. #6

    Default

    I did a google search for barber shop 12041 Dexter ave and found this in the 1956 Detroit Jewish News

    Barber shop for sale; 3 chairs
    Good Income; Low Rent
    12041 Dexter
    Hope it helps some
    Name:  barber shop for sale.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  14.0 KB
    Last edited by jcole; November-28-19 at 10:27 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I did a google search for barber shop 12041 Dexter ave and found this in the 1956 Detroit Jewish News



    Hope it helps some
    Name:  barber shop for sale.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  14.0 KB
    Bingo!!!

    Thanks

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    grandfather's name?
    Samuel Moskovitch

  9. #9

    Default

    I found this in the 1928 Polk on Ancestry
    Name:  moskovitch.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  13.6 KBby 1940 they were living at 3711 Duane St, which is the side of the barber shop on Dexter. If you google 3711 Duane, you'll see what I mean. I assume the downstairs was listed on Dexter and the home upstairs on Duane.
    Last edited by jcole; November-28-19 at 12:00 PM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Oh, i found that. What I'm trying to verify, is was that building indeed a barber shop.

    According to the 1940 cencus, in 1935 they were living some place else.

    If thats the case, then the Hastings Street address you found could be the shop.

    Thanks for all the help

  11. #11

    Default

    It looks like both were barbershops, the one on Hastings and the one on Dexter, so maybe he moved the shop and home
    during the 30's

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It looks like both were barbershops, the one on Hastings and the one on Dexter, so maybe he moved the shop and home
    during the 30's
    Very well could be.

    Thanks again. You have no idea how much this helps.

  13. #13

    Default

    Glad to help; I enjoy research
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    Very well could be.

    Thanks again. You have no idea how much this helps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.