Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Jazz Festival 2009

Are you going?
    We are, despite dire financial circumstances. If you haven't been there lately, give it a try. Bring an out of town friend!

Detroit International Jazz Festival

We'll be there for sure, probably 3 of the 4 days. Dave is playing Friday night as part of the roving Nicky Boy Street Band, playing New Orleans-style jazz in the Campus Martius area preceding and between the two headliner shows that night.

We'll be back for a few hours late Sunday afternoon. And then again on Monday to see John and Bucky Pizzirelli, among others.

Hope to see you there, Bobl!

I'd pitch a tent if they'd let me. And this will be the first time I've ever been able to attend on a Friday.

Vic: See you Friday at Campus Martius!!

Really a great line-up this year. Opening up with the 91 years old and still fabulous Hank Jones, who I saw give a wonderful performance when I was in NYC last week. It probably won't be practical for me to be there every day, but I'm already sad over some of the shows I'll be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    ... the 91 years old and still fabulous Hank Jones, who I saw give a wonderful performance when I was in NYC last week.
    At the Blue Note?

For those that attend, please take photographs [[if not too cheesy).

At Birdland on W. 44th St. A number of people came by to sit in, including Detroit native drummer Louis Hayes [[who will also be appearing at the festival here this weekend) and Wynton Marsalis.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    At Birdland on W. 44th St. A number of people came by to sit in, including Detroit native drummer Louis Hayes [[who will also be appearing at the festival here this weekend) and Wynton Marsalis.
    Cool. I've been to a lot of clubs, but not the Blue Note or Birdland. Have heard a lot about them and want to visit them both.

I would go to the Jazz Festival but times are tough financially - so we won't be able to afford it. Too bad... I was looking forward to listening to some nice Jazz

Jazz Festival is free.. pack your own water or pop, pack a sandwich and you're good to go...

Yep. Park at Greektown for free [[or on the street) and catch the people mover to Hart Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPetanque View Post
    I would go to the Jazz Festival but times are tough financially - so we won't be able to afford it. Too bad... I was looking forward to listening to some nice Jazz
    Huh? Hard to imagine a better entertainment bargain for these tough times than the Detroit Jazz Festival. It's 100% free. So come on down and enjoy yourself Petanque!

And remember to thank Gretchen Valade, of Carhartt work clothes and Mack Ave. Records, who is a big jazz lover and has ponied up the money to keep this thing running, and free, for the past several years.

Yes, it can be relatively cheap.
    We'll eat lunch at home, set up chairs by the riverside stage, eat snacks and juice.
    I do a lot more walking around than my partner. She enjoys the river, music, and people.
    Might even break the piggy bank and have one beer, perhaps at Forans....

"And remember to thank Gretchen Valade, of Carhartt work clothes and Mack Ave. Records, who is a big jazz lover and has ponied up the money to keep this thing running, and free, for the past several years."

Yep, and the Carhartt company ponied up extra money this year to make up for the shortfall caused by the auto meltdown. Buy those Carhartt jeans and coats...

This festival is a real bargain!

People typically pay big bucks [[$30 - 150) per person to see some of these acts in top-tier venues all around the world. Right in your own backyard, for free!

Corea-Clarke-White, Brubeck Brothers, Christian McBride, Coffey, Wayne Shorter Quartet [[with John Patitucci), Booker T., the Coryells, Pete and Juan Escovedo, and more. Come on! Run, don't walk!
    Last edited by vetalalumni; September-05-09 at 12:20 AM. Reason: edit

I paid $40 per person, plus a 2 drink minimum to see Hank Jones last weekend. In just a couple of hours now Detroiters can see him for free, along with Chick Corea. Indeed, an absolutely outstanding bargain.

Detroit Jazz Fest -- could not miss it!! be there tonight and every day but Monday!!!

R. J., calling R.J.:

Are you out there? This thread demands a comment!

I attended the 'Conversation' with Hank Jones and Buddy Budsen. If I don't see one more event, this Jazz Fest will have been worth it for that alone. I made it back downtown in time to see Chick Corea, but the crowd was way too big to enjoy the show and music.

Headed down in a few minutes here. Lots of fine stuff on for today.

For anyone who doesn't know about him, I just wanted to call people's attention to the highly underrated Detroit native multi-saxophonist Bennie Maupin, who has played with lots of incredible bands over the years, including Miles Davis, Horace Silver, Freddie Hubbard, Pharoah Sanders, and on and on. He will be leading his Dolphyana band celebrating Eric Dolphy's music joined by such great players as drummer Billy Hart and vibist Jay Hoggard tonight at 9 at the Waterfront stage.

I went alone, just wanting some jazzy solitude, but within minutes of arriving bumped into some great former neighbors. We ended up sticking together & having a fantastic time. One of them remarked that Detroit is the USA's "biggest small town", where you can go to a massive event and always see people you know.

Hmmm. "Detroit: The biggest small town". Beat that, Chicago & NYC

Really enjoyed Irma Thomas last night. What a voice. Perfect evening, full moon over the river, fire works, great crowd, Detroit at it's finest.

So many great bands to see! We'll probably stick by the Carhartt Amphitheatre all day--Straight Ahead, Marcus Belgrave, Gerald Wilson and finally Wayne Shorter. I'd like to see Pete Escovedo, but we'll see if our old bones can last that long! T.S. Monk tomorrow is my must see, with that Benny Goodman tribute right up there. It's all good!

On my way out in a couple of minutes here. Another great lineup, topped with the great Wayne Shorter.

My hot tip for today is another Detroiter who's been on the national scene for a very long time, the great altoist Charles McPherson, who will be at the Waterfront stage at 3:15. He started out with Barry Harris and plays a straight-up bop repertoire with spirit and Parker-like soul. When he's "on" he's stirrin' it up.

Default Aerial of Jazz Fest 9-5 09

Jazz Fest Detroit 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast