Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 511 Woodward to become Capital One Cafe

The 511 Woodward building, built as the Detroit Savings and Loan Building to fit within the constraints of the Guardian Building [[and contain some of its HVAC equipment) is becoming a financial institution again. This was announced today, about two years after the purchase agreement was inked with Wayne County.

Details here: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ed/4262425002/

In 2005, we were discussing it being turned into an automated parking garage:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mess...tml?1135444022

I suppose it's nice to have another Woodward space occupied. But I've seen their ads on TV, and I'm still really unclear on who they think wants to mix relaxing over a nice cup of coffee with doing their banking. What's next, a chain of nice cozy bars where you can also get your dentistry done?

This could had been a minute version of the Winter Gardens in the RenCen. Cafes ,shops, and restaurants could had occupied this spot incased in glass

I didn't understand the Capital One Cafe until I experienced one. While it is a niche thing, it very much has a place in a unique place like Detroit. For instance they offer financial advising for non-CapOne members. I spent 30 minutes with an expert. While they tried to push their product on me there was no pressure to purchase and I had a very valuable experience.

Here is a little more info about the Calital One Cafe experience.

https://www.capitalone.com/learn-gro...tal-one-cafes/

Very exciting to see a new future for that eyesore of a building. And it's not Gilbert! I love Gilbert, but I want to see more non-Gilbert projects come to fruition.

Downtown is running very low on vacant buildings. Most everything has some sort of plan in the works. Amazing to see.

So is Jamie Dimon doing this out of the goodness of his heart? What's the catch?

You can see the DBRA application here [[it's a pdf)

The “Dream 511” project involves the rehabilitation of the vacant building located at 511 Woodward for office [[approximately 19,207 square feet) and retail [[approximately 11,129 square feet) purposes. The Downtown Detroit Partnership will occupy approximately 7,584 square feet of office space in the building. The incentives requested for this project will allow the Owner to provide this space at a deeply discounted rental rate. The remaining office and retail space are slated for various private users, with leases currently being negotiated

Last edited by hybridy; November-22-19 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I'm not following. Capitol One and JP Morgan are 2 different companies.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm not following. Capitol One and JP Morgan are 2 different companies.
    Lol...sorry dumb mistake. As penance I'll post updated renders.

source

Good for them

"What's in your oatmeal?"

A Starbucks-esque bank Great ideal!!! Right here at Gilberttown Detroit. Grab a coffee while make your deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    A Starbucks-esque bank Great ideal!!! Right here at Gilberttown Detroit. Grab a coffee while make your deposit.
    This building isn't owned by Gilbert and has nothing to do with him. Another strange comment from you. It sounds like you just have a problem with investment. Get yourself ready for more pain then. Did you spam this just to protest my other comment? lmao

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    Downtown is running very low on vacant buildings. Most everything has some sort of plan in the works. Amazing to see.
    Everything vacant in and around downtown seems to have the same owner now...

This is a great addition to the Financial District! I have no issue with Gilbert's current real estate portfolio, or its continued expandion, but he's always been hoping to engage more developers through his development.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    This building isn't owned by Gilbert and has nothing to do with him. Another strange comment from you. It sounds like you just have a problem with investment. Get yourself ready for more pain then. Did you spam this just to protest my other comment? lmao
    I know that...

Hey, with the price of some of the froo-froo coffees, I can see needing a teller to get some.

Metro25... I just sent you a Private Message...

Name:  IMG_0269.jpg
Views: 3165
Size:  144.7 KB
    Construction is underway

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I usually do make a deposit right after my morning coffee!

Name:  IMG_1130.jpeg
Views: 3849
Size:  177.3 KB
    Facade is going up

Finally, I feel like this has been taking forever.

I was hoping for a Mapple Store!

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Finally, I feel like this has been taking forever.
    every development in Detroit feels like it takes forever [[Hudsons, Rivertown Meijer, MCS, Book, etc)

Work is moving along fast on this project.
    Btw how do I post pictures? I’ve done it before,but now I don’t see the option?
    Last edited by Detroitdave; November-16-20 at 04:42 PM.

It will be nice to have this spot activated by something other than bums sleeping against the building.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast