Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Buffalo Ct in Hamtramck

I'm trying to help a friend do some genealogy research and her family lived at 5608 Buffalo Ct in the 1960's. We have searched every map we can find and Buffalo Ct is not there, but there are addresses that pop up in Google search at addresses on that street and Google drops a pin near Buffalo and Trowbridge but there is nothing that resembles a court off of either st. Where one of the streets around there used to be Buffalo Ct or has anyone ever seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Where one of the streets around there used to be Buffalo Ct or has anyone ever seen it?

I've seen a few kangaroo courts in my time.

Probably one for the old maps people. I'm guessing it might have been an alley or similar that has been eliminated.

^^^ Paved over for the GM plant perhaps? Seems I remember some streets named Buffalo.

The 1950 Keystone street guide shows Buffalo Court as running east from Buffalo between Carpenter and Charles. I believe this was in the old Charles Terrace housing project, which was demolished and replaced by the Emerald Springs development around 2012 [[all the streets were renamed). This is actually in the City of Detroit, but it is in the 48212 zip code that is addressed as Hamtramck.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-20-19 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The 1950 Keystone street guide shows Buffalo Court as running east from Buffalo between Carpenter and Charles. I believe this was in the old Charles Terrace housing project, which was demolished and replaced by the Emerald Springs development around 2012. This is actually in the City of Detroit, but it might have been addressed as Hamtramck at some point.
    Thank you very much, Al. That's a ton of help.

I know I run the risk of providing too much information, but from what I can find, it seems like all of the buildings in the complex were addressed as "Buffalo Court". On a very interesting old thread here from 2006 that was mostly about temporary WWII housing I ran into a little more information. It appears that most of Charles Terrace was actually demolished in the 1990s, with only a few buildings left standing. MikeM posted bunch of pictures on that thread, including these two. The first shows the open field where most of Charles Terrace once stood, and the second shows a remaining street sign showing a range of addresses that includes the one you are looking for.

It looks like the actual building may have been on Service Drive 6, wherever that was.

Here is an aerial view of the complex from 1961. Buffalo to the left, Mound to the right, Charles top, Carpenter bottom. You can see some new houses going in on the other side of Buffalo to replace the leftover wartime housing that was there before.

Name:  Charles Terrace 1961.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  123.1 KB
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-20-19 at 08:58 PM.

Those war time projects along Carpenter, Charles and Buffalo Ct. later become " The projects when lots of poor black families moved in. Along came the crack epidemic and your not so friendly drug dealers and crime. You got your instant ghetto. Now the homes are long gone only to be rebuilt into a sub-division like projects.

Thanks again, Al. I'm passing on all the info