Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

We'll see what happens. I hope for it to work, but so many people are against it flat out.

The RTA vote didn't work. So let's see what this new mass transit plan can do. To bad that Hackel doesn't see this mass transit plan to boost up regional businesses in his area. He thinks the folks in North Macomb areas do not want high taxes in their paystubs.

This plan gives an out for Macomb County. This is a terrible idea. We all need to be a part of the REGIONAL transportation initiative. We are all in this together. This plan is just more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    This plan gives an out for Macomb County. This is a terrible idea. We all need to be a part of the REGIONAL transportation initiative. We are all in this together. This plan is just more of the same.
    A 3 county plan is still better than no plan.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Ah, but there is no region. This is, and has always been, the problem. Michigan is a home-rule state, and there are about as many municipalities in the Detroit metro area as there are nations in the United Nations. So the idea that the "region" would agree on anything is about as ludicrous as the idea that the world will agree on anything at the UN.

I agree with the post following this one: a three-county solution is better than a zero-county solution. If the three-county solution takes root, and then in, let's say, 10 or 15 years, the leaders of Macomb County find they are regularly being shut out of new and interesting development, perhaps the scales will fall from their eyes.

Uh-oh! The dreaded transportation thread emerges once again...........

I know of quite a few folks down here in Monroe County, myself included, who would use a timely reliable system to get back and forth like WSU students, vets to HFH-Dingell VAMC, LCA, Comerica/Ford Field, the Auto Show, Grand Prix, Metro Airport and not have to deal with traffic snarls, parking fees or crappy weather.

^^^^
    Agreed. I've always wondered why Monroe is not mentioned.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by birwood View Post
    I know of quite a few folks down here in Monroe County, myself included, who would use a timely reliable system to get back and forth like WSU students, vets to HFH-Dingell VAMC, LCA, Comerica/Ford Field, the Auto Show, Grand Prix, Metro Airport and not have to deal with traffic snarls, parking fees or crappy weather.
    [COLOR=var[[--posttitletextcolor)]Monroe could be on track for commuter train

[/COLOR]

https://www.monroenews.com/news/20191031/monroe-could-be-on-track-for-regional-passengertrain

Thanks to the initiative of Toledo

Conncecting Detroit to Toledo via High Speed Rail is probably going to happen seeing how the CN/Norfork Railroads are sinking a ton of $$$ replacing entire track beds, rails, gradecrossings. Connecting both cities would be a real bonus to SE Michigan and NE Ohio. I believe we would get more people coming into Detroit for entertainment Sports, Autoshow, Schools Etc and many folks from Detroit could then easily access Toledo to take in a Mud Hens and Walleye game both of which are affiliated with Detroit Teams...lots of night life down in Toledo around the sports venues. Not having to drive and park in either place is almost a No-Brainer. I hope it happens.

Detroit will never get mass transit. Too many oppose it, mainly the suburbs.

Is there any indication that CN/NS would welcome passenger trains
    on their renovated rail lines linking Toledo and Detroit? As common
    carriers that might have to accept passenger trains but that decision
    would likely be made after several years of litigation. It would be
    great to see energy efficient rail in the developing Detroit region.
    Among the young, there is a strong interest in a greener economy -
    and among some of the not so young also.

Well, with new leadership in Oakland County, now Macomb County is the only holdout.

Since they are satisfied with what they have now, at least there is a plan where the rest of metro Detroit can move on. Macomb County can decide to come in later.

We do need to start somewhere. We can't keep this on hold because one area doesn't want to improve their transit operations.

We have a majority amount that would like improvement.

Yes, its going to take some time, legislation, and money. We have had enough years of excuses.